SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:39 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,217 Posts
Discussion
Do not the German hobby shops like Hobby King?

Quoting from an Antony Hand, CEO of HK note, how German distributors support free trade in their country:

" Topic: More German anti-competetive behavior
Posted: 19 Funtober 2011 at 9:49am
Some of our European stores are being hassled by German distributors, namely Graupner and Robbe.
Robbe has formed an 'Association' called 'European Modelhobby Association' which they are using to threaten stores that carry hobbyking products.

Does any of our European customers know about this Mickey Mouse "EMA" association created by Robbe?

We have engaged our European Lawyer to take a look at the documents given to the stores for signs of Anti-Competetive behavior."

Isn't this practice illegal?
If true, perhaps hobbyists should boycott Graupner & Robbe!

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:40 AM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
Hobby King comes along and sells Chinese crap for less than anybody else can sell it and you wonder why other retailers might get their noses out of joint?
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:14 AM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,367 Posts
Yep
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Nov 20, 2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:57 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
What a stupid thread. Anthony hand is a jerk. True hobbyist should boycott hobbyking for trying to take over the world and provide junk that doesnt last. They should just stick to selling lipos.
One of the really cool things about online stores like HK....is you can buy JUST LIPOS if you want! Or nothing at all if that makes you happy! Isn't that awesome! "True hobbyists" unite!
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:24 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,367 Posts
You can buy lipos at any hobby store. Not following your comment.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:47 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
They should just stick to selling lipos.
I put your quote in bold to avoid confusion.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:41 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhoward1122 View Post
Hobby King comes along and sells Chinese crap for less than anybody else can sell it and you wonder why other retailers might get their noses out of joint?
Try this. Those European sellers are allegedly selling much of the SAME STUFF with their labels on it, at three times the price.

Much the same here. For the last 10 years everyday retailers have been selling Chinese goods at enormous markups. Now that millions are going online & buying the stuff direct (which avoids GST if less than $1000) the retailers are screaming "blue murder"

Aaah well. That's human nature aint it

Kev
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:25 PM
AMA # L576
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
The difference is that Hobby King is either the manufacturer ( They do make stuff ), or they go directly to the manufacturer. They won't deal with distributors. So they can offer the products at lower prices because of that and they buy in huge quantities getting discounts for that also.

Local retailers can not compete with that because the middle man wants his profit share also (distributors). Then the local retailer has to make a profit on the stuff.

There are trade offs when dealing with Hobby King. If something goes wrong with an item you buy from them, it's a crap shoot on whether or not your going to get any satisfaction from their customer service dept.

Local retailers who might indeed have to charge 2 to 3 times as much for the same or similar item will more than likely take much better care of you in case of warranty returns.
Last edited by vhoward1122; Nov 18, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:56 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhoward1122 View Post
The difference is that Hobby King is either the manufacturer ( They do make stuff ), or they go directly to the manufacturer. They won't deal with distributors. So they can offer the products at lower prices because of that and they buy in huge quantities getting discounts for that also.

Local retailers can not compete with that because the middle man wants his profit share also (distributors). Then the local retailer has to make a profit on the stuff.

There are trade offs when dealing with Hobby King. If something goes wrong with an item you buy from them, it's a crap shoot on whether or not your going to get any satisfaction from their customer service dept.

Local retailers who might indeed have to charge 2 to 3 times as much for the same or similar item will more than likely take much better care of you in case of warranty returns.
Well this is how the market is evolving.

Over here we have 4 levels. Manufacturer, importer/distributor, wholesaler, then retailer. So why pay for all that?

When it comes to HK having to make good on a complaint their service stinks, that's why I'm changing to others like HiModel (dearer but ethical service) & Hobby88.

But I won't buy local because of the riduculous prices. It's not the LHS, but the smart boys in the importing/wholesale that get all the lolly.

The idea though of the German hobby industry trying to rub out competition whether it is HK or not also stinks

Return of the gestapo?

Kev
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:41 PM
AMA # L576
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
The same thing is happening to the music industry here in the states also. People are changing the way they want to buy and share their music and the music industry is using gestapo type methods trying to prevent it. It does stink in both cases.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:13 AM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,878 Posts
SkylineFlyer, don't drag me into your problems (re your site suggestions complaints appeal on being reported)

Had I commented in this post? Oooooops have now LOL. By the way I wouldn't have reported you for trolling, I would have reported you for a personal attack (Anthony Hand is an RCG member). Did I? Nope. Perhaps bringing to the attention of the site owners what you have called another RCG member was not such a smart thing to do. By the way say Hi to Curtis. Chrissy says hi as well.

As for me and points. I have received many points. I just choose to abide by the mods decision and edit. Their site their rules. Hey presto, point gone but not forgotten. I'm sure the Jims will only tollerate so much from anyone, including me.

As for the Topic.

LOL the German hobby chains Hate HK. Their choice.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Last edited by KCV6; Nov 20, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:36 PM
Joined Sep 2005
6 Posts
As you can see HERE, the directors of the EMA are Mr. Eberhard Dörr (General Manager of robbe Modellsport GmbH & Co. KG) and Mr. Bernd Möbus (General Manager of KYOSHO Deutschland GmbH / HYPE-RC).
Hosthunter is offline Find More Posts by Hosthunter
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:41 PM
Joined Sep 2005
6 Posts
Also take a look HERE!
Hosthunter is offline Find More Posts by Hosthunter
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:21 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,670 Posts
To heck with em all..........I spend my money where I want. If other shops don't like HK....Too freeking bad. Get with the program. If they have the product for the money - they get my business.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Last edited by kydawg1; Dec 01, 2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 12:17 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosthunter View Post
As you can see HERE, the directors of the EMA are Mr. Eberhard Dörr (General Manager of robbe Modellsport GmbH & Co. KG) and Mr. Bernd Möbus (General Manager of KYOSHO Deutschland GmbH / HYPE-RC).
This is nasty.
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin