HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2003, 02:50 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,351 Posts
Nearly there!

Today's lesson on DSing was very valuable in my search to be able to DS properly. I was flying on a fairly gentle slope, practising hand catches from a hand throw, just a throw off, circle, then come in for a catch when I noticed that if I kept low to the ground (ie a foot or so above it) when I came back past myself I was able to gain a lot of altitude and speed. Each time I was able to link a couple of circles together, my speed and height increased dramatically to a point where I couldn't believe how high I was getting in such light wind. I found that turning slowly from higher out at the same angle as the slope worked best and after a couple of turns (more like a single turn followed by a gain in height then down again) I was fairly cranking and the noise sounded awesome, much more than a fast run across the slope.
Although this could be hardly classed as "real" dsing (if there is such a thing), it certainly was a great boost as I had been unable to get any further in my quest for speed. This has given me the confidence that I can learn by myself to be able to get some decent turns going, so hopefully I can link a bit more together in the next couple of days and be able to get some serious speed going.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2003, 03:34 AM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
So California
Joined Dec 2002
1,789 Posts
Hey yeah, it's real Dsing... if you can get the energy to work for you it is great. Some of the most fun I've had has been slow relaxing DS circles.

My son even DSed one of our foamie Jets at Vincent:

http://www.californiasailplanes.com

Go to "Videos" and "Scott DSing F-20 8-29-03"

Not very fast, but it still was fun. We've DSed Zagis and all kinds of combat wings.

Some of the best fun I've had is trying to milk some energy out of the back, when the is virtually none in front. Cool!

Keep working, it is addictive..

Steve
http://www.californiasailplanes.com
stegre is offline Find More Posts by stegre
Old Sep 26, 2003, 03:34 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,306 Posts
It sure sounds like real DS'ing to me.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Sep 26, 2003, 07:55 PM
{A life in the wind=~-
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,082 Posts
My last time out, there wasn't enough lift on the front, so I was hand-tossing really hard into what wind there was, and immediately turning down into the backside. I was able to build speed and keep it going for a while. Then I'd shoot out to the front, and there wouldn't be enough out there to fly! I've also built speed before using the difference in airspeed from 20' off the ground compared to 2' off the ground. It's like when you're trying to land a heavy plane with no flaps and the thing seems to go faster when you come in for the landing..
invictarocks is offline Find More Posts by invictarocks