HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:47 PM
Joined May 2008
106 Posts
Question
Adding kerosene to glow fuel?

My question is will adding kerosene to low or zero nitro glow fuel give any increase in power? I'm considering this for a standard glow engine with standard glow fuel.
I have searched the forum and read several of the diesel threads that have touched on this subject but never really gave a clear discussion of it.

Mainly I'm just curious about a possible power boost with out the expense of nitromethane. I know that these compounds have completely different chemical make ups but if a diesel power plant can provide great power can a glow set up gain anything noticeable?

I'm sure someone has tested this so a link or explanation would be much appreciated. If you want to get technical I'd love to here the details.

Thanks
Loopnot is offline Find More Posts by Loopnot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,546 Posts
It will make the engine run lousy and stink. If it gave a boost, someone would have figured it out years ago and we would be using it today. Glow engines run on glow fuel and that's the truth. Methanol, oil, and nitro as a power booster.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:32 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
621 Posts
loopnot

If there was a slight chance of a power improvement the Profesional Drag Racers would allready be using it. They are pulling 6,000 HP out of 500 Cu.In. V-8 Engines on almost pure Nitro!

Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:03 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy Arnold View Post
They are pulling 6,000 HP out of 500 Cu.In. V-8 Engines on almost pure Nitro!
That's near enough to 730 HP/litre but the very best glow engines are around 1000 HP/litre with zero nitro .

But to answer the OP, adding any other fuel to methanol (apart from nitro) will result in less power but give a slight advantage with economy. With model "diesels" it's a different thing altogether because the kerosene component in their fuel is where the power comes from. The ether in the mix is used because it auto ignites at a comparatively low temperature and it then ignites the kerosene.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:51 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Sep 2009
1,097 Posts
Forget adding kerosene, just run it on kerosene:
Glow Engine Running on 2 Parts Kerosene 1 Part Oil (2 min 32 sec)

Check out that nice slow idle.

Kerosene does not mix with methanol.
Glue Gun is offline Find More Posts by Glue Gun
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:01 PM
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,663 Posts
Fired up a Super Tigre S-40 on WD-40 once. Didn't really mean to though. I had given it a shot of WD-40 and gave the prop a flip while holding in in my left hand. Much to my surprise, it started and ran . When you are holding a running engine it gets HOT quickly and a little time seems forever . I was heading for the garage door to toss it when it died . No, there was no power to the glow plug , it just fired up on compression .

BTW, WD-40 is just Stoddard solvent (kerosene) and Napthenic oil .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:44 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,367 Posts
Kerosene doesn't mix with methanol in the glow fuel. it will settle out on you fairly fast.
if you run nitromethane in the fuel, you cannot mix kerosene or gasoline with it. Which is why the racers use methanol instead. Plus if you go over 50% nitromethane in the fuel, methanol won't mix well either. If I remember they have to add something else to get it to mix in the fuel and not settle out. But I forget now. I never tried using more than 50% nitromethane glow fuel in my engines.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:25 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,546 Posts
We used to add nitro benzene. Now they use polypropolene oxide. Castor won't mix in nitro percentages over 50%. Synthetics solved that problem.

There is no way a glow engine will run on kerosene and oil. You need methanol to keep the plug hot and it's the methanol that ignites the fuel mixture through catalytic action with the platinum in the plug. That's why glow engines need some methanol in the mix. They won't run on straight nitro and oil either.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:52 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
924 Posts
A little petrol (5%) gives some of the benefits of nitro like a more consistent idle but no power boost. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:54 AM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Sep 2009
1,097 Posts
In video, I use only K-1 kerosene and and Klotz Super Techniplate. I does indeed run. I even flew an OS .25 LA powered airplane on kero and Klotz. Flew well. Similar power to my standard homebrew 0% nitro glow fuel. Just smelled different and needle setting was more critical. However, the airplane had no throttle control.

Kerosene in no way works as well as methanol in a glow engine. Plus the engine requires preheating for the glow plug to ignite it. I used a propane torch.

Methanol, nitromethane, and oil are what work reliably in glow engines.
Glue Gun is offline Find More Posts by Glue Gun
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:13 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2003
46 Posts
Old ST instructions (of Bluehead vintage) call foe a couple of percentage points of either gasoline or acetone to "keep the fire lit" on slow rich runs.

Here in The Land of Oz, our most widely available source of methanol contains 3% acetone, so no foul in that regard.

The old rule for high nitro was 1% propylene oxide for 40% nitro and an additional perecentage point for every 10% nitro thereafter.

Nirobenzene was outlawed many years ago due to extremely high carcinogenic risks associated.

Have fun,

DF
DerFly is offline Find More Posts by DerFly
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:59 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,079 Posts
Gotta be careful with acetone ... it eats aluminium.

Kerosene won't mix with methanol.

You can use a little petrol as an ignition improver ... but it eats silicon, so a bit of thought required.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:36 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee View Post
Fired up a Super Tigre S-40 on WD-40 once. Didn't really mean to though. I had given it a shot of WD-40 and gave the prop a flip while holding in in my left hand. Much to my surprise, it started and ran . When you are holding a running engine it gets HOT quickly and a little time seems forever . I was heading for the garage door to toss it when it died . No, there was no power to the glow plug , it just fired up on compression .

BTW, WD-40 is just Stoddard solvent (kerosene) and Napthenic oil .
You too, eh
In my case it was a Fox eagle .60
Yup, WD-40
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:20 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,367 Posts
You guys are great, in my book. I cannot imagine hand holding a running .40 or .60 engine.
:O
But that is nice to know that is something one should not do.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
Back in the 1950's when flying control line team race airplanes with glow plug engines was pretty popular, there was a lot of experimenting with fuel mixtures to try to get the best combination of range and power. Somewhere I have a couple of articles which go through all that.

I've run, on the bench, glow plug engines on commercial model diesel fuel (with ether). They ran exactly as well as they run on glow fuel, but with a much leaner needle setting. The glow plug had to stay hooked to the battery until the engine got warm enough to run properly, 20 seconds or so.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson