HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:28 PM
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Dec 2008
15 Posts
Discussion
Rounded Edge Planking Strips

Hello,

I am trying to find Rounded Edge Planking Strips. This is the type used in old Berkeley and Sig kits. Does anyone know where they might be avaliable? These were great for planking.

Thanks.

Jim Walton
Columbus, Ga.
jim walton is offline Find More Posts by jim walton
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:22 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,739 Posts
Balsa USA maybe, but no bets. regular shape strips aren't so bad if you taper them before fitting.

howell
gwinhh is online now Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:49 PM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
136 Posts
I don't believe those have been made for 20-30 years. They were 1/8" thick and had a concave round on one side and convex on the other if I remember correctly. They were not very cost effective and frankly you can get a better fit by tapering strips cut from a sheet.

My GUESS is that the only way to get them is to find someone with a stash of them. Good luck.

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joined Dec 2008
15 Posts
Thanks both of you for your replies. I doubt if we will ever see them again.

Jim
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:35 PM
Joined Dec 2008
15 Posts
Hi guys, here is a thread I just received on Brotherhood of the Ring site. The technique shown will work. This is a great help.

Jim

http://raysmodels.ca/Technical%20Tip...g%20article.do...
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Aug 2009
210 Posts
We make one kit with a planked fuselage and we wanted to make more but everyone is afraid to do planking. It does not need to be water tight, you can leave gaps up 3/16" wide and after you cover it with silkspan no one will know. If people are afraid to plank then a lot of good designs are wasted.
Larry
Black Hawk Models
BLACK HAWK MOD is offline Find More Posts by BLACK HAWK MOD
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:56 AM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAWK MOD View Post
We make one kit with a planked fuselage and we wanted to make more but everyone is afraid to do planking. It does not need to be water tight, you can leave gaps up 3/16" wide and after you cover it with silkspan no one will know. If people are afraid to plank then a lot of good designs are wasted.
Larry
Black Hawk Models
Larry,

If you did have gaps, wouldn't you just fill them in with a light weight filler?

Thanks,

Adam
65stang is offline Find More Posts by 65stang
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:46 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
617 Posts
Back in 1983 when I built my CL Scale P-38 I planked the booms with 3/16 inch wide strips and the center pod with 1/8 inch wide strips of 1/8 inch thick balsa. After the glue dried I first rough sanded them to a reasonable contour. next I mixed two part epoxy and using old playing cards squeegeed the epoxy into the cracks. When the epoxy cured it was as if the planking was molded in a single piece. I cut the landing Gear doors out and hinged then back on. Go to the March 1986 Model Aviation, page 75 to see the results.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Old Dec 01, 2011, 12:39 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,345 Posts
I planked this with 1/8th...

...cut them myself from sheet with an Xacto.
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:33 AM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
...cut them myself from sheet with an Xacto.
Nice Tigercat....what model kit is it?
65stang is offline Find More Posts by 65stang
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:12 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,345 Posts
Paul Plecan plans from 1950. I built it in '07 and rushed the finish. I'll probably refinish it in silver as the XP-65.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr