HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:53 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
Build Log
low wing 50% lazy bee.

building a lazy bee, half size. Hobbyking components. (cuz i can, i likes me a challenge)
going with an extended 40"(20 ?) inch wing.
that is what i got so far. need to do some cleaning (no space left even to move) but i have the wing printed out the started cutting out ribs.
nemoskull is online now Find More Posts by nemoskull
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:24 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
update!

got the wing assembled, need to cut out the alierons, and still deciding on flap and alierons, or full width flaperons.
the fuse is mostly done, framed out, anyways. getting to the point of needing the electronics placed.
target AUW is 80 grams or less.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:37 AM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Interesting.

I never had a Bee with ailerons. I had a couple of 24" and under homemade foam bees with straight wings (no angled wing tips) with rudder only. If you grossly over power them and have huge rudder travel they will roll like mad. I dont think ailerons will gain you much on a bee.

What do you plan on using for electronics and motor. Even with ultra micro gear, 80 grams does not seem like a realistic target for a 40" plane.

Tony
everynameistaken is offline Find More Posts by everynameistaken
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:37 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
evernameistake: well, its a 20 inch bee. or so. planing on twin p51 motors and gws 4040. we shall see if i need a BL upgrade. its a straght wing, the wing is mounted on the bottom.
check out the pics. i am hoping the low wing and a low center of gravity might help the rolls.
i went with the all rudder.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:31 PM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
evernameistake: well, its a 20 inch bee. or so. planing on twin p51 motors and gws 4040. we shall see if i need a BL upgrade. its a straght wing, the wing is mounted on the bottom.
check out the pics. i am hoping the low wing and a low center of gravity might help the rolls.
i went with the all rudder.
Sorry my fault. I thought you said:

"(cuz i can, i likes me a challenge) going with an extended 40"(20 ?) inch wing"

Is that landing gear made of balsa? Is that your own design? Do you ever fly these planes you make? Looking forward to a maiden video of this one.

Tony
everynameistaken is offline Find More Posts by everynameistaken
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:36 PM
I like EPP
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Sep 2005
186 Posts
Nice job.
I did one 20"WS way back, converted to Electric, it fly well,but little too fast for me at the time end up gave her to a friend, but that low wing mod sound interesting!!! I bet with the present electronic gear and small lipo that bee would be a hoot to fly.do keep us posted.

Matk
matk is offline Find More Posts by matk
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:20 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,205 Posts
nemoskull,

Do a search for Dereck, in Sport Planes here on RC Groups. He posts and comments frequently on Lazy Bee matters.

Here's my own Low Bee parkflyer, from five years ago. It has a Johnson 250 geared motor and takes 2S 500. It's not a micro, but now you've got me thinking...

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:41 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
sorry i have not posted, went to disneyland! my 3 year aniversery!
and yes, the landing gear is my design, but it still does not look quite right.
as for the electronics, i am thinking HK Orange RX and servos, cuz my AR6400T has no ESC port. might be a problem.
that is all for now.

oh, yes, i do fly my designs. lately, they mostly fly. the b17 failed. the ESC was too weak, not enought thrust for flight. the zero flew very well, but i broke the first rule: i flew low, and right into the only skinny lamp post. there was not much left and after the 4th repair (rebuild?) she was too heavy to fly right.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:19 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
progress....

well, i got the electronics done and installed. started covering inn esaki tissue. (i got that a while back, before the earthquake, i wonder what the price is now?)
the bomb bay is working on channel 6, and with that bid door almost at 90 degrees should work as a decent air brake.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:27 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
wow, i guess i forgot to post. its done, and awaiting a calm day to fly her in. 5 ch, bombbay, and T,A,E,R. i will get some pics when i can.
she even got a pilot.