HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:12 AM
Joined Mar 2011
22 Posts
Discussion
Thanx Shakeweight! foam tac to the rescue

OMG, foamtac is the shizzle!

I thought my dayz of flying acro were over on the 4site bird.. My first indoor, first 3d, finally found a decent warehouse to fly er in, but had SEVERE fractures up the fuse to the hole the wires pass though, wing strut blown off, wing butt-joints to cross members unstuck, wicked compete fracture in the long "angle iron" fuse support member, one of the horns always rotated and allowed the linkage to hang out of whack...

here in mexico dont even have that UHU other than to stick postage stamps to letters

ordered 3 bottles (super cheap, may as well stock up, not everyday you get a "mule" whos willing to tote down "extrememly flammable" modelers glue)

got drunk, got bored, cleaned all teh fractures with a cotton swab and alcohol. Made a plan as to what the best ORDER of repairs should be (for least amount of movement during "set" time)

read up a LITTLE on peoples experience and sounded like it set up faster than the instructions suggested...

did three repairs at a time, just sparingly laid a bead over ONE side of all the fractures, wiggled back and forth one minute till it seemed all was a bit gooey, by the time I did that on the third fracture of each "round" of three, went back to the first area the glue had touched and lined er up and squeezed down with fingers (impossible to use any kind of clamps nor rubber bands nor weights on this little thing) and LEFT MODEL SIT for 30 minutes while I did something else...well, more like 20 minutes, im impatient and I CANT BELIEVE how strong and flexible all the repairs were after just 2o minutes.

Im a total newb, all thumbs and a bit buzzed (although the glue didnt seem to contribute even though I gave it a good whiff...doesnt really SMELL that flammable) and my 4 site is almost good as new!!

thats a big YIPPEEE folks..

I MIGHT lay another bead down along that main "IBEAM" 90degree truss that runs the length of the fuse..but maybe its overkill and just adding weight. Even have a little carbon fiber rod ws thinking about welding on there but probably too much. Guess Ill crash er a few more times and then decide..

well, sounds like the South Park episode of "Creme Freige" where Sharon says "Thanx SHAKEWEIGHT"...jeje..a bit cheesy but..

"THANKS FOAM TAC" (and Jason who sold it to me plus the killer DYNEX he sent that I might build someday...when I run out of Foam Tac to fix the 4 site..just kidding)

two thumbs up, and a toe.

kyrojoe in mexico
chirojoseph is offline Find More Posts by chirojoseph
to remove ads between posts