Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:52 PM
United States, IN, Aurora
Joined Apr 2006
123 Posts
Discussion
Google Earth Flight Sim as FPV trainer with DX6,DX6i,DX7, Interlink

I posted this elsewhere, but it was pretty buried. I'm probably not the only one that would think it was awesome. Other than the plane being too fast, it's like the real thing. I can fly over my house with my DX6.

Google Earth Flight Simulator mode = free and really cool FPV through real cities, grand canyon, up the coast... well, you get the idea. It's under "Tools" in the regular Google Earth. The HUD looks very much like my CEOSD on my real FPV plane. "H" turns the HUD off. It takes some nasty setup... as in..editing text files and guessing at values. However, I just finished setting up my Realflight Interlink controller and an old DX6 (DX6 doesn't need the interlink... I used this instead:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160659087437...84.m1497.l2649
to hook up the DX6... though you can just use an audio cable. I didn't want to have any volume issues with my uncle's pc, so I used that USB adapter so it will be smooth for him. It's 5 bucks shipped. The interlink controller doesn't need any adapters.

No problems. I mean, no problems after messing around for an hour

I put FMS on this laptop which is running Windows 7. I have to run "fms-ecomport-fix.reg" before I run FMS to make it all work. I easily got my Realflight interlink controller to work with it, and after some struggling, I got my DX6 to work. I had to set it to Aircraft and not turn it on... I have no experience with this DX6. It never actually got used. I've got a DX6i and 7. Most of the hour was spent trying to figure out the menus in the DX6. I had to reverse all of the channels to make it work in Google Earth.

So, anyway, it all works. If you need any help, just ask. My uncle is going to be thrilled when I show up with his new DX6 and some config files. He's currently using one of my old joysticks with FMS, which is a pretty poor way to learn.

I have the whole files if you just want to download them. You just have to change the axis number next to the A

Config file for DX6 in Google Earth in
"Program Files/Google/Google Earth/client/res/flightSim/controller/generic.ini"

controllers_supported = [
Controller('*', 0, 100, 0, 100)
]

button_press = [
]

axes = [
A2 set(DE, 1.0, 0.0)
A1 set(DA, 1.0, 0.0)
A0 set(DP_0, -0.5, 0.5)
A5 set(DR, 1.0, 0.0)