HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
Discussion
First post, first scratch build and first question....

Hey everyone!
It's nice to see an active online community for the hobby enthusiasts!

Well as the title mentions this is my first post and to avoid repetition if you want to get to know me check my profile.

I am currently in the middle of a scratch built HLG using the terminator plans that I found a link to from here (can't remember the site as I am at work and on my smart phone) I have step by step photos and will post them to this thread when I'm home and can hopefully receive some sound advice from the pros.

Now for the question. The next step in the build is the wing and I'm in a toss up between balsa covered and bagging the wing. Suggestions? She's going to be a thermaler.
I am also in the market for a full TX/RX servo setup using a v tail. I was considering the dx6i and would like some feedback from others who have used this tx for v tail Sailplanes. (I know the tx you use may be great and all but if you haven't actually used it then please don't post a "the xxxxxx transmitter is soooooo much better") I currently have one enroute to me so this is the one I may be using if there isn't too much trouble with it.

I am new to HLGs but not to RC aircraft (fixed and helis)

Thank you for your time and 2 cents.

Sgt J
I R Grunt is offline Find More Posts by I R Grunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:08 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,278 Posts
If using a DX6i for a V-tail set-up, DO NOT use elevon mixing. I haven't used mine in over a year, so I can't remember if there is an actual V-tail setting. If not, you need to actually go in and program the only two available mixes into each other.

Here's some info regarding the DX6i elevon SNAFU.

This thread explains it all:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=dx6i+elevon

If you don't care about the "why", but only the "how", go here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=35
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:47 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Grunt View Post
......The next step in the build is the wing and I'm in a toss up between balsa covered and bagging the wing. Suggestions?......

Sgt J
I recently built a DLG out of all balsa just to see if it could be done. I tried to keep it light with 1/32 sheeting etc. It came out very heavy at 13oz and even though I've thermalled it to uncomfortable heights from a handlaunch, I have to say that I'm disappointed with the performance. Part of it is the weight and part of it is trying to create a paper thin trailing edge but ending up with 1/16 to 1/8 thick trailing edge to keep it strong enough to not be crushed when picking it up or hangar rash. If you have the ability to bag a glass wing, I'd go that way. Do a search and follow any of the excellent threads here on the subject, you'll end up with a lighter, stronger, better performing one than I did from built up balsa.

Mike
ThermalSeeker is online now Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker