SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:14 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
Discussion
Syma S107/G, up the mAh, battery upgrade?

First off must say this is a great little heli...less than 25 bucks and very durable, actually 4 people I know ordered one after seeing mine in action.The only "bad" thing about the heli is the battery life. So to my question: I took a peek at a few sites and see they sell batteries are the same exact voltage (3.7v) of the oem battery installed in the Syma S107/G....only difference is maybe weighs a little more and the main reason why I am interested in them increased capacity (mAH).

So all being the same (well weight not included)..as long as the voltage remains 3.7v could I throw in say a 1000mAh capacity battery. I know it would weigh much more but could it be done? Just want to make sure the damn thing don't shoot into flames when I go to charge it.

Also seen a few tutorials about having to remove a certain piece from the oem battery when wiring another battery (and attach to new one)...could someone please tell me where this part is on the battery/heli and a link or real quick instructions on how to do it.

Thank you in advance for you help.

OBJ
oneballjay is offline Find More Posts by oneballjay
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:32 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
OBJ, Welcome to the RCG. The S107G sure is a fun helicopter. You are not the first to ask about that battery upgrade question. You may find more info here in this battery upgrade thread, and ask more questions there. But the short answer to your idea is that an 1000mAh is probably too much weight for the S107's motors. If you do that, the S107 won't lift off.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:46 PM
S107, S026
Nashville, TN
Joined Aug 2010
140 Posts
Also, the motors are not very high in quality. They last a lot longer if you keep the flight time to around 5 minutes then let them rest (cool down) before going again. That goes for the battery too.
TSquare123 is offline Find More Posts by TSquare123
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:11 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
I tried different "Bigger" batteries on my Udi U807, a helicopter slightly smaller but very similar to the Syma S107. I found that the helicopter sometimes struggled to lift off or just plain couldn't. Usually with any heavier battery flight times actually went down from the strain on the motors drawing more current to stay airborne.

I think you could make some small incremental increase in mAh but not 1000 mah. If you could study up to find a higher mah battery that weighs the same as the original, you would have a winner. Watch closely though the C rating as well as weight and mAh, as some batteries may not have the capacity to pump out their power at a rate that gets you in the air, or it will overheat and blow out trying.

I have been able to fly my Blade MSr 4 channel helicopter with a range of batteries from the original eFlite 120 mAh 14C to 160 mAh Thunder Power 25C, 160 mAh 30C Turnigy, and 160 mAh 25C Hyperion, but I was afraid to even try the 190 mAh Hyperions due to weight concerns.

The idea of longer flight times isn't a good one for these little batteries and motors. When I thought I should be able to fly 8-10 minutes with a small 3 channel copter I burned out motors and batteries regularly. Now with 3-4 minute flights I have no more motor problems. The cheapest answer to longer flight times is to buy a couple more helicopters. and rotate your flights to cool both batteries and motors before and after charging.

John in Merrill

PS I have done a battery mod to my Udi U807 to externally accept the same batteries that the Blade MSr and Parkzone UM Corsair use. See post #470 HERE. I have a 4 port Eflite "Celectra" charger that can safely charge 4 batteries. One small rubber band works as the mounting system for the batteries and a Parkzone Ultra Micro battery lead makes swapping batteries very simple. But while it would be simple to just pop one battery after another into that copter the cooling issue takes precedence over that idea. Just swapping copters is a safer way to keep them in good running order without a lot of replacement motors and batteries.
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:01 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
Excellent explanation, John. I agree completely, especially to your conclusion that "The cheapest answer to longer flight times is to buy a couple more helicopters." Seriously, that has been my conclusion as well, after reviewing all the pros and cons of varies battery upgrades. It really does help to keep the helicopters last longer.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
S107/S026G Lift Power

I have a problem with two helicopters, the S107 and the S026G. When I purchased them it seemed that they would be able to hover in the air for only the first twenty or thirty seconds before the battery would weaken to the point that they could only hover and fly at ground level for the rest of their flight. I only tried them once or twice before leaving for vacation and brought them along. While on vacation they flew very well and for at least 5-7 minutes without any problems. Now back at home they have the same problem again. The only thing I can think of is vacation was at sea level at the ocean and home is at 2400ft where the air is less dense. As a test my son took the shell off of the S026G to reduce weight and it flew very well! Has anyone any experience with this kind of problem?
romanmike is offline Find More Posts by romanmike
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:38 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanmike View Post
I have a problem with two helicopters, the S107 and the S026G. When I purchased them it seemed that they would be able to hover in the air for only the first twenty or thirty seconds before the battery would weaken to the point that they could only hover and fly at ground level for the rest of their flight. I only tried them once or twice before leaving for vacation and brought them along. While on vacation they flew very well and for at least 5-7 minutes without any problems. Now back at home they have the same problem again. The only thing I can think of is vacation was at sea level at the ocean and home is at 2400ft where the air is less dense. As a test my son took the shell off of the S026G to reduce weight and it flew very well! Has anyone any experience with this kind of problem?
There have been a few people who have experienced this problem and removing as much weight as possible does help.

If you did a search for "Naked Flying" you would find others who have experienced this, so you are not alone
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:33 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
These helicopters sit in warehouses in China, Hong Kong, and in the US before they get into our hands. The lipos in my estimation, probably fade to below safe levels before we can charge them.

They use little lipo batteries that probably cost less than 50 cents in China and little pager motors that cost even less. For the $25 or less you pay for the whole helicopter/transmitter/charger bundle you get including shipping here, I don't find it too improbable that I may have to replace a battery or a pair of motors once in a while.

I think if you go to one of the free shipping vendors from China or Hong Kong, you will get the motors and a new battery for about 6 or 7 dollars. With some judicious timing of flights to not overheat the motors or battery, (4-5 minutes tops) you will probably get quite a bit of fun from these little helicopters.

My suggestion would be to order a couple of motor sets, a battery, a couple of blade sets, and a couple of extra helicopters to alternate flight time/charging time with and enjoy.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner