SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:12 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
Can't take rotor head off shaft on my HK450

Hi everyone, (I'm new here )

I hope I can find some help with my HK 450:

I took almost every screw I could find on the main rotor shaft but it seems there's no way I can take it off ! I'd like to do that to use my newly bought swash plate leveler ^^ I know it's hard to tell without actually seing the model but is there something that I should know or some known issues about this ?

Thanks for you help !

Ben
ninijnab is offline Find More Posts by ninijnab
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:03 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Ben,

Did you remove this bolt (circled in red)? If you did, it just may be a very tight fit. Try twisting and pulling at the same time.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:44 AM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Yep

I'll try again pulling and twisting I was a bit affraid to break something

here's 2 pics of it :

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:21 AM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
I gave up, I took everything off the bottom and slided in the leveler from the bottom tip and it works just fine. arg I just wasted so much time and there was this simple alternative solution ^^

Anyway, thanks for your help !

Ben
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:40 PM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
In my experience when something doesn't want to budge on a shaft or move a tiny bit. The shaft may be bent (even if never flown). Second most common would be a metal burr on the shaft possibly where the screw pointed to above may have caught an edge of the hole nicked it making it real tight.

If you can remove the screw and its tight get your fingers in there feel for a sharp burr or scuffing. Use very fine grit wet/dry sandpaper in small strips and try to remove it.

It can happen so easily. Screw goes in. Off a scintilla from center. You start screwing and a burr is born.

I believe your real question is about swash plate leveling.

You, realize only the head needs to come off.

With the swash attached to the servo control rods. You want to place the tool on the shaft and sit the swash levelers feet first (I believe) on the lowest (highest?) ball link of the three servos.

Then make sure the higher swash balls servo arms properly mounted and 90 degrees to the shaft. If so are the control rods connected to the swash parallel to the shaft. This must be done.

Then if two are higher take the highest (if the correct way is opposite. start with lowest ball and lengthen it to match others) link and shorten it (preferably removed from heli) Depending on how "unlevel" the swash is this turn can range from less than a quarter turn to two turns. Lastly, when you turn the highest ball link. Remove the other high ball link and do the same turn. shortening it Repeat until the levelers feet all rest equally on the balls. Then swash is level.

This all presumes you set up your servos before hand with the Tx on and the servos centered before attaching the servo arms.

Whew, almost scared myself from trying to level a swash again.

Many techniques for doing this maybe someone else tells theirs.

Just saw this leveler. Apparently it's what you have. new to me.

http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Swashplate_leveler

There is a final sort of leveler that fits between the body of the helicopter and the bottom of the swashplate. This allows the swashplate zero-degree collective pitch position to be set and levelled in one operation, but doesn't help remove CCPM interactions. It also risks overheating and destroying cyclic servos if one or more servos are pulled too low and bind against the leveller.

Todd
Wolveslayr is offline Find More Posts by Wolveslayr
Last edited by Wolveslayr; Nov 17, 2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: gf wants her swash leveled
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:00 PM
Hi I am Mark & I am an addict
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined May 2007
790 Posts
Did you notice if there are any burrs around any of the holes that a pin or screw would go through? I had an issue when I tried to remove the main shaft and there was a burr, I used some really fine sandpaper to remove it. After that, the shaft slid right out...

Hope that helps,
Mark
mthomas is offline Find More Posts by mthomas
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:23 PM
Joined Oct 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninijnab View Post
Yep

I'll try again pulling and twisting I was a bit affraid to break something

here's 2 pics of it :

Thanks
Here is how you do it

1. Following the instruction as per the photo.
2. You should be able to pull the whole thing out of the heli.
3. Bolt the shaft to a cordless drill (normal drill is OK). remove power on the drill cause we don't need it to turn. Warning: don't overtighten the drill chuck as it may damage the main shaft. Just enough so it holds the shaft securely.
4. Now hold the drill chuck in one hand and try to twist + pull the head out. Should be easy. I reckon some one may drop a bit too much loctite on the main shaft.

Good luck
ptern is offline Find More Posts by ptern