Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:37 PM
DOOMSman
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
Discussion
Ice boats

HELLO, brand new to the site and RC. I and some neighbors are discussing
some simple ice boats, the basic rules to be hull to start as a 1x3 36 inches
long and the rigger to start as a 1x2 24 inches.
the sail to be contained in a square 20 x 24 inches.
Being mostly retirees we are looking at hobby king radios.

Ideas or a separate area on the forum?
DOOMSman is offline Find More Posts by DOOMSman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:36 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,260 Posts
http://iceboats.tripod.com/

Owned by Tony Johnson (Minneapolis) who is also a decent softwater r/c sailor. He and Bill Korsgard (now deceased) from Madison WI were pushing the idea and r/c iceboat / landsailer classes.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:47 AM
DOOMSman
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
Dick thank you for the link. Those are some very nice
ice boats and I got some ideas looking at them.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:07 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,409 Posts
Simple iceboats for sail or motor:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...86#post8648677
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:35 PM
DOOMSman
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
Thank you Brooks, I like the springs on the steering,
I was wondering about servo damage.

I wonder would a third channel for a fork brake
be worth the money and extra weight?
Last edited by DOOMSman; Nov 28, 2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:55 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,409 Posts
Fork brake was for the powered version, fun, but not necessary. Helps with racing, just like brakes on a car, but not needed for a sailboat. Adding weight is a good thing, servo or lead: it gives the craft more momentum for completing a tack, and will also increase the allowable windspeed if the weights are on the outriggers. I used velcro straps to attach the lead (shot in a 35mm film container). This way I could remove them if I wanted.

When making the skates, be sure to grind the V on the bottom for a 90 angle. I sharpened mine to less than 90 degree to reduce skidding....but the skates then dug into the ice too far, and the boat would not move, hoho. There is usually plenty of power to move the craft, as long as the skates are not digging in too deep. Ice boats are faster than water boats due to the very small drag of skates compared to a hull in water.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:50 AM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
991 Posts
Dang it, wrote this once and lost it.
This reminds me of my ice rink days and sharpening days. Ice skates have a concave ground into the bottom. Speed skates are actually flat to get the least resistance. I would recommend about a 2 or 3 inch radius groove on these little blades. This will give enough surface to hold the ice boat up, without digging in and grabbing the ice. The sharpened edges will keep it from skidding. When it gets worn down, often a quick swipe along the edges with a sharpening stone will be enough, depending on the surface you run on. I would often sharpen my stainless steel skates only 2 or 3 times a season, and I skated a lot! Maybe angle the blades inwards a degree or two.
Speed skates are stoned in a special jig that holds both blades next to each other, perfectly parallel. A stone is run forwards and backwards, gently, until you have perfect square edges. Beware, the edge will cut you. This would get you the most speed, I believe.
You see, skates actually ride on a layer of water. The larger the surface, the more support the water gives. Of course, too much will slow you down. Speed skates are very narrow, only 1/16th, but long and with little rocker. Hockey skates are a little wider, with figure skates the widest. Hope this helps with the season here. More pictures and videos, please.
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:09 PM
DOOMSman
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
I am ready to order a system and need to know about servos.
How do you know what connectors are on hobby kings receivers and servos?
Are most servos 40 degree travel as listed?
Thank you.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:05 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,260 Posts
Most of the time, you will be sailing close hauled if ice/land yacht. Will never be sailing dead downwind (tack upwind and down for speed), so servo needs to have torque to hold sail in - and at the same time have speed to "dump" the if you happen to get overpowered.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:28 PM
DOOMSman
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
Got started on two low buck ice boats. Kind of wondering about low buck 2.4 radios from hobby king but the freight starts to make me think about 15/ 20 dollars more from a local hobby shop. we are two retired men and want to keep it cheap so others will maybe join us.
Also look at the front steering runner, steering horn below the 1x3 or above? We have built mostly with dumpster gold so far.

Last edited by DOOMSman; Dec 28, 2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:41 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,260 Posts
Do a search on DN Iceboats (the real ones) and you will pick up a lot of info. A double steering runner isn't necessary - you can get by with a single runner.

Also visit RCSailing.net site and do a search on iceboats or landyachts.