HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by 67econoline, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:41 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,175 Posts
Build Log
P-39 Aircobra

Rc flight is a room with many doors. When I started flying I walked through the electric warbird door. That was where i stayed. A few weeks ago I went for a run. I passed a steep spot on the ridge over my house and the wind was really whipping up the ridge. I needed to register my van. So on the way home from that i stopped to fly my Radian there. I took my Power 10 P-51 too. I threw the Radian and she rose up 50 ft. right away.Turning along the ridge. I found lift seemed unlimited. I could do loops, multiple loops if i wanted!! I saw my Buddy Dip doing pumps for more speed. I tried those andthat gave me more speed!! I tried different turns never once hitting my motor. It was some of the best flying of my rc career. I flew for over an hour and was time it was time to head out. I never touched the P-51. A new door opens and I stepped right IN. I came home ready to build the untouched sailplanes that were already in the Hanger!!! I finished the Passer in record time. She flew her maiden on Sunday. The wind had died. So Dip being the better pilot was chosen as the first pilot. She only need a couple of click of down trim and a click of right. I had built her well. She was rising in just a breath of wind!! I took the controls for 8 min and flew carefully, not getting to close to the ridge. Still she flew easily!! It was my first aileron sailplane i was nervous ...!!!The light was fading fast so Dip brought her in for a safe landing. THANKS DIP!! Suddenly I found myself lurking in the OC slope thread... I have been bit by the SLOPE BUG!! That is where I found the CSD PSS P-39 AIRCOBRA. You can fly warbirds on a slope!! I am IN!! They are hard to get as the company is out of business and I was late to the Fake Fest Party. They had chose the Cobra for the 2011 build. I found a local flier who had bought one. It was sitting around needing to be built. I made him an offer. He made me a LOWER OFFER!! When does that happen!! another sailplane added !!!!It is a fiberglass body with sheeted foam wings. I have never built any thing like this. I have only built ARFs. It looks like tough project. That is why I'm putting this build log up. I can look back on my mistakes.If you are looking for a build log of an expert builder this won't be for you. I am reading the Fake Fest build but there isn't any building on it yet. I'm 35 pages in!! They are funny though, so its entertaining. I'm sure its coming and I hope to learn the skills I'll need to complete the build. I'm going to try to get in the next one for sure!!
1.Next I need to get the plans.(he forgot them)
2.Then find out what Electronics people use.
3.Buy electronics
4.Get the glue to sheet
5.Buy an incident meter
6.Begin!!
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Last edited by 67econoline; Nov 16, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:36 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,066 Posts
Good luck with the build. You might find this thread from Brian Laird helpful: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=p+39
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Windrider Birdie
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:34 PM
Joined May 2011
7,175 Posts
Thank you ...
I'll read it through.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:18 PM
Joined May 2011
7,175 Posts
Skin the wings

The first thing i did was make some sanding blocks.I used some 1X2 stock. Two were made.
60 grit 100 grit
150 grit 220 grit
Both are 24" long I glued the paper on these they will last better that way.
Then i made a spray booth out of an old box.
I sanded both wing cores. Then cut out my sheets, (carefully) making sure that I had on top and one bottom.Leave 1/4 inch around the wings to trim later this will make the sheeting easier. I shook my 3M Super 77. and sprayed the core and the sheet. Let it tack for 10 min then added a light second coat.
I aligned the core and the sheet and pressed together. Press down hard and form a good bond. Trim the sides and the repeat the process for the bottom.
Use the bottom bed when spraying and pressing to protect the top. and help in pressing. the sand flat!!!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:24 PM
Joined May 2011
7,175 Posts
Now the completed cores sanded to to shape. I'm pleased with the result.
Next step, cut 1/2 " off aileron stock. For trailing edge. The glue and mount trailing and leading edge.with wing tips...
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,066 Posts
Nice work, you might like to transfer your postings to a thread in the Slope forum as very few people will see it in your blog after the initial posting.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:30 PM
Joined May 2011
7,175 Posts
How is that done?? I repost some of the pics but I wanted a record for me. I would love to transfer the posts. Is there a way to do that??
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:39 PM
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,066 Posts
Here's a link to the Slope thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/slope-97/

To start a new thread just click on the "New Thread" button in the upper left and then it's just the same as a blog. You can transfer the text from your blog by doing a copy and paste, the pics will have to be reloaded.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joined May 2011
7,175 Posts
Thank you. Help from so far away... !!! I post on the ocslope thread. But for the build it should go there...
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:25 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Rubio, which slope was it that you found that got you hooked?
-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:29 PM
Joined May 2011
7,175 Posts
It's by the flagpole. Or tick hill as people call it. Park in the same spot as for the flagpole. Take the trail to the left instead of the right. Till you reach an open small Plateau. I fly there in the north west and west winds
It's all most always flyable. Ithe lift band is good and it's pretty steep. I will look at the street names next time I go there. It's right over my house. I can see it from my porch. I look at the flagpole for wind direction.
Dip and I are going to fly the east side of tick tomorrow morning if the wind is good.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:56 PM
Joined May 2011
7,175 Posts
Next I cut the ailerons in two.
1/2" trailing edge an a 1 1/2" aileron. Then I bought some 1/2" balsa to make the wing tips.
Then I used epoxy to glue the wing tips and sanded to a rough shape.
I need to pick up the pace if this project is going to get done!!!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined May 2011
7,175 Posts
Now I have glued the leading edges and I am slowly sanding them to shape. I made some sanding blocks for this job. Different sizes and grits 60/100 150/220
1X2 1X3 1' 2'
The shape is starting to show but there is a long way to go.
Last edited by 67econoline; Dec 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:04 PM
Joined May 2011
7,175 Posts
I have to admit this build kind of intimidates me. Sanding the leading edge is one of the reasons. The hardwood edge near that thin balsa. But it needs to be done so I carefully started. I found that the shorter wide blocks I made are useful for the high spots. The 1X2 though did most of the work. At first the edges were longer and sharper. But after consulting Brian's build I changed it to a more rounded look. I think the rounded still needs a little more work.
So far though I have not damaged the balsa too much. A couple of scratches but nothing major.
I glued the trailing edge and next I will sand all to size. Then sand the 1.75" sweep and the 1.25 dihedral.
I hope to finish that tonight.
Last edited by 67econoline; Dec 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:09 AM
no points for speed
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2009
22 Posts
HI, 67econoline.
Thanks for posting your build.
I think you could have used masking tape to protect the sheeting while you did most of the sanding on the LE and TE. Just an idea.
bradley2j is offline Find More Posts by bradley2j