SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:21 AM
Umm what just flew off my ship
Joined Jan 2010
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5heli View Post
I got kds 550 lastest version. Dude this fking esc from kds suck ass neither the ubec omg. I set middle cut off and I was only do 2mins testing just hover 4ft Heli then automaticly power shut off wth man. luckily no damage. Everything are stock kds sht help me out guys
The low voltage cut off on a heli should always be set to its lowest point not to none... In the middle if your doing hard maneuvers it may cut out due the the power consumption used by that maneuver. I also tend to set the castles to soft so it does not just die ......
GhostFlyer1 is offline Find More Posts by GhostFlyer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:50 PM
United States, TX, Pearland
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
whats the kds 5052 motor timing???
x5heli is online now Find More Posts by x5heli
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
691 Posts
Had an interesting problem today, potentially catastrophic, but luckily minor damage on my new 550 (clone, not my KDS). Need your experienced input before I fly this one again. DX8, Robird31 FBL system fitted with one Orange satellite, no receiver.

First run up slowly testing all functions, then run up to about 40% throttle. Still on ground after 4 minutes of spinning, all seems normal, moving rudder side to side to check responses, when suddenly it takes off straight up (means the gyros are working - one good thing). Closed throttle as in normal mode (and not TH as this could cause it to come straight down with -10 pitch at 0 throttle), and only after about 2 seconds it slows down, comes down out of control, and ends up in a tree where it hung until I got a ladder to remove (thus the "minor" damage - blades, canopy, landing skid, main and tail shafts, tail boom, all damaged from hitting the tree). What could have caused this? I replaced the all servo snap links as they were really poor quality, as one failed even before spinning the motor (servo moved on powering up and it snapped...), but even if this failed the heli would stay down (and probably tilt and have a blade strike). It went straight up, as if full pitch was given, no increase in motor speed noticed (as would be the case if idle up was by accident switched). Pitch setup is mild, definitely did not touch any switches.

Any comments would be appreciated
deonjams is offline Find More Posts by deonjams
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:30 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deonjams View Post
Had an interesting problem today, potentially catastrophic, but luckily minor damage on my new 550 (clone, not my KDS). Need your experienced input before I fly this one again. DX8, Robird31 FBL system fitted with one Orange satellite, no receiver.

First run up slowly testing all functions, then run up to about 40% throttle. Still on ground after 4 minutes of spinning, all seems normal, moving rudder side to side to check responses, when suddenly it takes off straight up (means the gyros are working - one good thing). Closed throttle as in normal mode (and not TH as this could cause it to come straight down with -10 pitch at 0 throttle), and only after about 2 seconds it slows down, comes down out of control, and ends up in a tree where it hung until I got a ladder to remove (thus the "minor" damage - blades, canopy, landing skid, main and tail shafts, tail boom, all damaged from hitting the tree). What could have caused this? I replaced the all servo snap links as they were really poor quality, as one failed even before spinning the motor (servo moved on powering up and it snapped...), but even if this failed the heli would stay down (and probably tilt and have a blade strike). It went straight up, as if full pitch was given, no increase in motor speed noticed (as would be the case if idle up was by accident switched). Pitch setup is mild, definitely did not touch any switches.

Sorry to hear the bad luck, that sucks big time. I don't know the answer but I'm wondering if popping a pitch link off one blade could cause this or would it just shake it's self to pieces.
I just looked at the blades on mine, theres more blade behind the pivot point so it might just track with the good blade unless the link jammed on something.

Just thinking aloud here. I will be paying close attention as my 700 is sitting here waiting for the mailman to bring the G31.

Sorry friend
Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:25 AM
Joined Dec 2011
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Sorry to hear the bad luck, that sucks big time. I don't know the answer but I'm wondering if popping a pitch link off one blade could cause this or would it just shake it's self to pieces.
I just looked at the blades on mine, theres more blade behind the pivot point so it might just track with the good blade unless the link jammed on something.

Just thinking aloud here. I will be paying close attention as my 700 is sitting here waiting for the mailman to bring the G31.

Sorry friend
Kerry
Thanks Kerry. Sucks is exactly the right word. Especially as I have been putting in late hours finishing it off to my exacting standards. I will be writing Robird USA in a separate thread. I remember while setting up and testing the g31 that once it suddenly went full pitch. Could not repeat it and thought it was just a one time glitch. I should be able to bring the heli with such an event under control, but it was soo sudden and such a shock I just watched in amazement after closing the throttle. Still it did not immediately respond. Not been a good day - I was liking my setup on this heli and the g31 looked good after setting up with software etc. The quality of the g31 and its associated software is quite impressive. I just tested a zyx-s in a 250 and that is still going strong after 2 months of flying.

No - a link popping off a blade or swash will not cause this incident. It went up evenly and strongly (which means both blades suddenly went full +ve pitch). I was also only around 50% throttle as a I got a rude shock earlier when I wanted to spool up and the soft start was not soft at all, even though I had set this up on the esc. Went super soft AND brought down the throttle curve just for testing.

It stayed quite straight and slowly veered left and back behind me dropping into the tree when the motor (and blades) eventually slowed enough. So all 3 servos went full pitch I think. Any link coming off will make it stay down

Deon
Last edited by deonjams; Jan 25, 2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:41 AM
Umm what just flew off my ship
Joined Jan 2010
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deonjams View Post

That definatly sucks!!!!
That being said the Robird G31 is the same unit as the Blackwidow that RCA sell. What you described sounds more like an electronics glitch. if a link popped loose the heli would probably have toppled over vs going straight up. I pulled the Blackwidow *aka G31* off of my 550 and 450 because I never thought it felt stable. It would pull to the right during and kinds of hard pitching maneuver. This even after flashing it to the latest firmware update. My opinion is its good for a scale bird but not so much for 3D. I also do not fly specktrum so I do not do satellite only setups. I may be old school but give me a real reciever not a satellite... *again just my opinion and I have several buddies who do the satellite thing without problems.
That being said I would reflash the G31 and go through the setup again, making sure to calibrate your radio to the unit on the first page of the setup screen. I would probably also rebind that satellite. My suspicion is in the electroinics vs mechanical. PM me if you have questions about the calibration, and performance settings and I will give you my number and go through it with you.

BTW I replace the g31's with the Bigaole which feels almost identical to a beastx however Satellite only is not supported until the new release, from my understanding.

Wish I could be of more help
GhostFlyer1 is offline Find More Posts by GhostFlyer1
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlyer1 View Post
That definatly sucks!!!!
That being said the Robird G31 is the same unit as the Blackwidow that RCA sell. What you described sounds more like an electronics glitch. if a link popped loose the heli would probably have toppled over vs going straight up. I pulled the Blackwidow *aka G31* off of my 550 and 450 because I never thought it felt stable. It would pull to the right during and kinds of hard pitching maneuver. This even after flashing it to the latest firmware update. My opinion is its good for a scale bird but not so much for 3D. I also do not fly specktrum so I do not do satellite only setups. I may be old school but give me a real reciever not a satellite... *again just my opinion and I have several buddies who do the satellite thing without problems.
That being said I would reflash the G31 and go through the setup again, making sure to calibrate your radio to the unit on the first page of the setup screen. I would probably also rebind that satellite. My suspicion is in the electroinics vs mechanical. PM me if you have questions about the calibration, and performance settings and I will give you my number and go through it with you.

BTW I replace the g31's with the Bigaole which feels almost identical to a beastx however Satellite only is not supported until the new release, from my understanding.

Wish I could be of more help
Thanks - comments are very helpful. Am very happy with my beastx (spektrum 7200) helis. Flew a 300x earlier today just to settle my flying nerves! Just trying the HK550 FBL TT as a low cost setup to see what I can get away with (and enjoy building - there is always a build on my work table, with Align as my easy builds and these clones certainly more challenging but more learning), as I have a HK250 with a zyx-s and very happy with general ability (although the beastx is much more stable and really flies as if it is on rails), and the zyx-s does need a receiver. This is my first sat only unit and it may be inadequate on this size heli. Most probably though this was a bec glitch and I will add a ubec. I have had a ubec fail on me before on a KDS 600, but all that happened was swash tilt and blade strike, not a sudden full pitch. I had setup the radio and g31 very carefully over a few nights with the software - found it very good and easy to use. I will rebind making sure radio is default setup for any radio glitches. Thanks for your kind offer of telephone assistance but I am a South African based in Philippines so an expensive call!

To Scott of Robird - the vibes are just some poor quality components in the drive (the main gear was oval for a start), so I will be replacing those. Was just testing with those vibes and awful main gear thinking it would be ok while sourcing better quality ones. Blades were all balanced and the vibes were there spinning without blades.
Last edited by deonjams; Jan 26, 2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:07 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Re KDS700 12S setup.
After 5>6 years in RC this will be my first 12s anything. Not sure what connectors to use etc. I have JST on the small stuff and Deans ("T") type on everything else. Are Deans sufficient for 12S?? I could use the 5mil bullets supplied on the 2X 4500mah 65>130C packs.

If I have it right I plug pos. of the first pack to neg. on the second pack and the remaining pos. and neg. are the 12S supply to the ESC.

Any tips etc will be greatly appreciated.
Kerry

No luck searching RC Groups, Google etc on this topic.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:59 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,963 Posts
You should be looking at EC5 or XT90 for a larger heli. I've recently converted all of my bigger helis to XT90 and I'm also using them on my new 700DFC, which is 12S. I used EC5 on my X5, but I don't like soldering the bullets and how the bullets fit in the plastic housing. I also like that you can use heat shrink with the XT90.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Re KDS700 12S setup.
After 5>6 years in RC this will be my first 12s anything. Not sure what connectors to use etc. I have JST on the small stuff and Deans ("T") type on everything else. Are Deans sufficient for 12S?? I could use the 5mil bullets supplied on the 2X 4500mah 65>130C packs.

If I have it right I plug pos. of the first pack to neg. on the second pack and the remaining pos. and neg. are the 12S supply to the ESC.

Any tips etc will be greatly appreciated.
Kerry

No luck searching RC Groups, Google etc on this topic.
I have deans on my 12s KDS600. And yes, you have the wiring right. So deans off batteries 1 and 2 into a wiring loom with bullets into the esc. Need a wiring diagram?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:38 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
You should be looking at EC5 or XT90 for a larger heli. I've recently converted all of my bigger helis to XT90 and I'm also using them on my new 700DFC, which is 12S. I used EC5 on my X5, but I don't like soldering the bullets and how the bullets fit in the plastic housing. I also like that you can use heat shrink with the XT90.
I am also using the XT90's.

Here is a adapter I made for my charger.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:55 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Thank you gentlemen, good stuff, just what I needed.
Given this information, I am thinking on using the 5mil bullets on the packs to an adapter (5mil bullets in and XT90 out) with an XT90 on the esc. This way I can separate the packs for charging. I will also need to make bullets to deans adapters to match my chargers. I think the male/female bullets in the right place will prevent me from hooking anything up wrong. I will confirm this before soldering anything because if it can be connected wrong, eventually, I probably will.

It will be a while before I need to do this, so if I have anything wrong or if there is a better way please let me know.

Thanks again
Kerry
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:55 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I am also using the XT90's.

Here is a adapter I made for my charger.
Nice job on that adapter. I had some HK XT60 battery leads that I'd bought for some reason, so I fitted a XT90 on the end of a couple of these. Like you I prefer the adapters to plug into the XT60 rather than the banana connectors. To much risk of reversing the connection, if distracted. I need to make up a couple more adapters, as I run 4 ichargers and now with the 700 using two lipos at a time...
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:00 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,741 Posts
What is nice is you can rotate the ends around on both the xt-60 and the xt-90 so you can solder them directly like I did. Of course in the pic you can see I used a Yellow HK 90 and a blue protek 60 lol!

And before I found the large heat shrink I used liquid electrical tape.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:01 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,963 Posts
I wondered about the blue plug. I haven't seen a blue one before.

Self fusing tape would also be another good option for insulating the two connectors.