HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:49 PM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
Discussion
DX7s vs. DX8!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I created this thread as a contest between the ever popular DX8 and new DX7s. There are threads for each, but there has never really been a thread pitting them together (that I have seen).

Both are DSMX, telementary, SD card, Spektrum Radios for less than $500.

The main question is,

Is it worth getting the $430 DX8 because of a few extra features? Also, can you get a backlight kit for the DX7s and/or use one from the DX8?

Time for discussion! I'm interested to see how this one goes!
torque roll is offline Find More Posts by torque roll
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:39 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,086 Posts
Radio vs radio threads are more amuzing then interesting. Having own the DX6i that only had 2 position switches I welcome the fact that the DX8 as 3 position switches for all of the important stuff. Having bought backlight kit for my DX6i, I do not understand manufacturer making radio without anymore and I rather have a stock backlight kit then RISK DAMAGING the screen installing one.

Considering the price difference also includes all the telemetry vs DX7s no telemetry included.

PRICE difference well worth it for me and at the end of the day thats what counts.

Other then that, blind fold test I doubt you could tell the difference between the two.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:28 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,046 Posts
After a month owing the DX7S you should have forgotten the price you paid but still have to live with the display.
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:14 AM
Crowthorne, Berkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2002
211 Posts
Prices quoted in a UK model shop for transmitters only are 200 for a DX8, 175 for a DX7s. I reckon the extras on the 8 are well worth the extra 25, plus it's been out longer so more chance that any "issues" have been sorted.
TrevC is offline Find More Posts by TrevC
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:29 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
... plus it's been out longer so more chance that any "issues" have been sorted.
MOst of the current issues are programming with some minor manufacturing. Programming is the SAME in both radios and so should the manufacturing.

EXAMPLE: If DX8 has major pot problems, until they address this issue the DX7s will most likely have the same issues since they would be using the same POTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Sorry, I forgot to answer. Yes, the DX7S and DX8 have exactly the same gimbals, bearings and all. Andy

Since they both have AIRWARE, then if you have one programming bug then both radios sharing the same features would display the same issue RIGHT.
Since the DX8 is pretty much on track then there should be no reason the DX7s is good also..
Last edited by freechip; Nov 16, 2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:50 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Comparing two radios, one of which is not available yet doesn't make alot of sense. I guess you can compare features, but pricing at the bargain houses aren't listed yet so really can't make an accurate price comparison.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:26 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Well,they are both Spektrum,so you are taking your chances with either one.The customer support is fantastic,but the quality may not be there.If you like Spektrum,and still trust their claims about DSM2 and DSMX,then get the more feature-filled DX8,and don't look back.Lotsa guys fly with it and love it.
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:09 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinbeachman View Post
Well,they are both Spektrum,so you are taking your chances with either one.The customer support is fantastic,but the quality may not be there.If you like Spektrum,and still trust their claims about DSM2 and DSMX,then get the more feature-filled DX8,and don't look back.Lotsa guys fly with it and love it.
Well said.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:28 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
CONS:
The DX7s only has two flightmodes available, the jr based original had 3. No back light, which is fine by me and there is one version instead of heli or air.

PROS:
Quad bearing gimbals, cheaper vs DX8, fully assignable switches. Variable aux2 nob, which is nice for those with light kits that don't want all the lights on all the time. Telemetry on a 7ch and 11ms response with 2048 resolution.

Overal I think the DX7s is good purely from features/price perspective. I'm still on the fence about going with spektrum again, though.

phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Last edited by phoenixheli; Nov 16, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:42 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixheli View Post
CONS:
.... there is one version instead of heli or air..
Is this a bad thing? The throttle can be confirgure for smooth or ratchet without even having to open the radio and swap parts OR at least thats how it is on the DX8 and since they share the same gimbal one would think its going to be the same on the DX7s.

As for switches and placement, it wasn't an issue for someone to fly planes with a heli radio but the other way around would cause some confusion for heli pilots that are used to having specific switches in specific places.

I think its based on HELI version if you want to call it that way and since I think like the DX8 you can assign switches around its no big deal right?

You may label this as a CON for yourself but I am sure it's by no means a negative thing to have and offer only one platform.

On this subject, IS / WAS spektrum the only one offering a HELI & AIR version of the same radio?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:20 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,004 Posts
All the companies did different air/heli - some even did heli-only radios (heli is a bit complex).

The DX7s has the same gimbals as the DX8, including the ability to adjust tension and ratchet without opening the case.

You're right about why there is no need to have air vs. heli SKUs. Everything is easily adjustable by the user to fit his preferences.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:15 PM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
In America, the difference in price is $299 for the DX7s and $429 for the DX8. BOTH are for sale and BOTH have telementary. The only real price difference is between the backlight and the extra channel. Is it really with $130 for that? I have the DX7 right now and for me, I could use the backlight for my Night Vapor. It really sucks not seeing the screen.
torque roll is offline Find More Posts by torque roll
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:43 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,086 Posts
Not quite, 429$ yes in most places but very easily found at 365$ online. Both have telemetry YES but the DX7 does not come with any supplied telemetry gear. DX8 comes with TM1000 (full range) and couple of sensors.

So your supposed 130$ difference is much lower in real life. SO yes well worth the difference. You probably would be ahead of the game if you bought the DX8 and sold all the telemetry gear if you did not what it.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:11 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque roll View Post
In America, the difference in price is $299 for the DX7s and $429 for the DX8. BOTH are for sale and BOTH have telementary. The only real price difference is between the backlight and the extra channel. Is it really with $130 for that? I have the DX7 right now and for me, I could use the backlight for my Night Vapor. It really sucks not seeing the screen.
Where is the DX7s for sale presently? Plus those prices are from HH.

Ultimate Hobbies has much better pricing on Spektrum than HH.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:01 AM
Joined May 2011
447 Posts
How do you change the throttle from smooth to rachet on the DX8? I would like to do that to mine.

Thanks
reno4sure is offline Find More Posts by reno4sure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fms 1700 f4u