HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
I need a bigger shed..
sammyc's Avatar
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
You should be able to use a basic 4 channel airplane setup I would think. Then invert channels as necessary, and add dual rates. I know how to do it easily on the ER9X firmware, but have never used the stock firmware.
Now that someone has reported that it binds, I think I will replace my broken Z101 with a 9116, seen as though I already have a 9X
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:54 PM
Registered User
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,448 Posts
I flew my 9116 this afternoon in the wind. I know better than to do that. My yard is too small to maneuver in windy conditions. I crashed it and broke the inner shaft. Every time I do that I break something. I will only fly it in the early morning or late evening when the wind is zero. Take a lesson from my mistake.
J_skaggs is online now Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:56 PM
Registered User
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,448 Posts
Where is everybody? This thread has been dead today.
J_skaggs is online now Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:16 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
95 Posts
9116 parts

For anyone in the USA and especially the east coast....check here for parts...www.rcroanoke.com They just today started stocking 9116 parts and the prices are better than you can get from China...I have used them for the common parts for several months and they are great to work with...fast shipping...huge for us in the states...ZDAWG
zdawg is offline Find More Posts by zdawg
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I flew my 9116 this afternoon in the wind. I know better than to do that. My yard is too small to maneuver in windy conditions. I crashed it and broke the inner shaft. Every time I do that I break something. I will only fly it in the early morning or late evening when the wind is zero. Take a lesson from my mistake.
Yep, you should known. We've all been there, now it's your turn ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Where is everybody? This thread has been dead today.
I check into it occasionally, but if I've got nothing to post, I won't.

I've been spending some time lately dialing in my new Walkera 4F200LM 6ch 3D CP heli, and I think eugene is sorting out his new 450 6ch 3D CP heli, so we are all a bit busy at the moment.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:04 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Oh, BTW, I found this last night while doing a search.

E-Flite EFLH1320 N60-Tail Motor/Rotor & Adapter Blade SR



http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270906767...84.m1438.l2649

It might work as a direct drive tail motor retro fit kit for the DH9116.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:11 PM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Auflyer's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
My 9116 is determined to get the better of me. Reset tx as per whizgig to stop servo flex, readjusted everything and halfway through test flight in garage servo up and died on the other side I've been having issues with, new one stripped out of now parts 9116 and installed. Two minutes into test flight lose all tail authority and start doing lovelly spins. New tail installed go to test and battery dies. On charge now. I will not let this get on top of me lol

Thank god I ordered two new servo's the other day as that's all that's stopping my ever reliable crashed many times 9116 from flying now
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:31 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
I've been reading the forum for a while and finally ordered a 9116 a few days ago. It'll be here Friday, so this should be a fun weekend.

Thanks for that excellent link from zdawg! It's my first RC helicopter so I'm sure I'll be needing spare parts in no time. I ordered an extra set of main blades, tail blade and a tail unit (all for the 9100 since they're the same) but I'll order some 9116 specific spares next week.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to contributing to the forum when I can.

Mike
Hornethappy is offline Find More Posts by Hornethappy
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:47 PM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Auflyer's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Ok all good. Just flew in a fair breeze and all go. I did not notice on the new tail I've got a gradual turn to the right. Added some left rudder trim and ok. Dumb question but why would that be?

Edit, 2nd battery pack and this thing still has issues. 45 left in rudder subtrim and aileron movements are all over the place on one hover it will be fine, next one skating hard right?????? Thinking seriously about stripping it and putting all the parts on the old girl..
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Last edited by Auflyer; Feb 23, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:45 PM
Registered User
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdawg View Post
For anyone in the USA and especially the east coast....check here for parts...www.rcroanoke.com They just today started stocking 9116 parts and the prices are better than you can get from China...I have used them for the common parts for several months and they are great to work with...fast shipping...huge for us in the states...ZDAWG
Checked out the site zdawg. Good stuff. Small inventory but, they appear to have the important stuff. I'm curious to see what their going to sell the 9116 for when they get it in stock.
J_skaggs is online now Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Last edited by J_skaggs; Feb 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:14 AM
Registered User
CrazyLittle's Avatar
United States, OH, Brilliant
Joined Sep 2011
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
Has anyone successfully bound their FlySky 9X to the DH? I've been playing around with it and it binds instantly but setting things up is a bit problematic. The 9X assumes a helicopter with pitch control so as you give it throttle it also tries to "raise" the swashplate which just results in forward flight. I've tried turning off the pitch curve altogether, doesn't seem to help. I also am not getting any rudder input - tail rotor just spins at a constant speed. I think it can be done, a matter of dumbing down the transmitter enough to work with a 4ch copter just thought if someone had already done it (or on the little 9958), they could share their settings.
I'm in a similar boat as you - I can bind but I can't get it to fly. The rudder problem is the biggest one. I've bound a flysky Rx to the DH's Tx and tested each channel - it seems to be a normal 4 channel setup. But when I bind the Turnigy 9x to the 9116 I get zero rudder response. I even tried tweaking the PPM signal encoding down to 4 channels, but no luck.

The 9958 is easy to do, this one is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
You should be able to use a basic 4 channel airplane setup I would think. Then invert channels as necessary, and add dual rates. I know how to do it easily on the ER9X firmware, but have never used the stock firmware.
Now that someone has reported that it binds, I think I will replace my broken Z101 with a 9116, seen as though I already have a 9X
I'm using ER9x and it's not helping.
CrazyLittle is online now Find More Posts by CrazyLittle
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auflyer View Post
Ok all good. Just flew in a fair breeze and all go. I did not notice on the new tail I've got a gradual turn to the right. Added some left rudder trim and ok. Dumb question but why would that be?

Edit, 2nd battery pack and this thing still has issues. 45 left in rudder subtrim and aileron movements are all over the place on one hover it will be fine, next one skating hard right?????? Thinking seriously about stripping it and putting all the parts on the old girl..
The new tail motor is more powerful than the old one, so it's got more torque. Reset the tx setting back to 000%R or add 005%L and see how it goes.

So are you using the 900 LiPo? I've found even if you let the heli rest for a minute it will regain some amps and be more powerful on the next take off, but it will only last a few minutes, then it starts to die again. When it's at that level, it's best to recharge it asap.

Have you got one of those voltage monitors with the beeper? I usually have one in my pocket when flying, after a few minutes, pop it on, check the cell voltages and see how much flying time I've got left.

I found a similar one in myrcmart.com today, I'm thinking of getting it next payday. It's not designed to go up with the heli like the other one I have, more of a pocket version.

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-power-sm...mh-p-3926.html

stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:14 AM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLittle View Post
I'm in a similar boat as you - I can bind but I can't get it to fly. The rudder problem is the biggest one. I've bound a flysky Rx to the DH's Tx and tested each channel - it seems to be a normal 4 channel setup. But when I bind the Turnigy 9x to the 9116 I get zero rudder response. I even tried tweaking the PPM signal encoding down to 4 channels, but no luck.

The 9958 is easy to do, this one is not.



I'm using ER9x and it's not helping.
Have you tried setting it up as a 4-channel basic plane instead of heli as someone suggested? I haven't but may try that today. I was surprised it worked with my 9958 without an issue but not the DH because I can bind my DH transmitter to the 9958 without a problem, reverse some channels and it flies that perfectly so there must be something that we're leaving out with the setup for the 9116 but darn if I know what it is. I'd really like to get down to only grabbing one transmitter.
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:22 AM
I need a bigger shed..
sammyc's Avatar
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
Have you tried setting it up as a 4-channel basic plane instead of heli as someone suggested? I haven't but may try that today. I was surprised it worked with my 9958 without an issue but not the DH because I can bind my DH transmitter to the 9958 without a problem, reverse some channels and it flies that perfectly so there must be something that we're leaving out with the setup for the 9116 but darn if I know what it is. I'd really like to get down to only grabbing one transmitter.
The controls are pretty much the same as a plane, being only a 4ch FP. Except the tail rotor I guess.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:50 AM
Registered User
CrazyLittle's Avatar
United States, OH, Brilliant
Joined Sep 2011
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
Have you tried setting it up as a 4-channel basic plane instead of heli as someone suggested?
Yes. I even tried copying my 9958 model over as the base for my 9116 but that didn't help.

Someone sent me a PM saying it could be a "5 channel" Tx, but I'm not quite convinced. When I bind the 9116 Tx to a FlySky 8ch Rx (with servos attached to each channel), it seems that only the first 4 channels actually do anything. It SHOULD be pretty basic: 1) Aileron, 2) Elevator, 3) throttle, 4) Rudder.
CrazyLittle is online now Find More Posts by CrazyLittle
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product the first double horse 2.4G and 4CH single blade helicopter 9116 hkmtk Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 32 May 21, 2013 01:27 PM
Help! Heli Spins out when ascending (Z101, looks like the double horse) Shlofter Electric Heli Talk 5 Aug 16, 2012 01:59 AM
Discussion Double Horse 9097 24" Heli Jake8131 Electric Heli Talk 8 Mar 14, 2012 07:05 AM
Sold 9089 Double Horse Shuttle Electric Heli w/Video DVR Senor Jack Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Apr 10, 2011 08:15 PM