HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
UPS delivered my 9116 this morning and is charging now. I am sure I will be back with questions. Way smaller than the 9104.
Welcome to the DH9116 club, thetis!!!

I hope your weather holds out for you to get it dialled in properly. If not, I'm sure you'll have heaps of fun with it anyway!!!

It has a gentle take off, it won't shoot off the ground like the others, but once you get it going forwards, it rips along quite well. I haven't had a blade strike yet from it. When you are about to take off, turn the main blades across the body on their shortest extension and make sure they are reasonably level. That way when you start to spool up, the main blades won't catch under the horizontal stabilizer (if the horizontal stabilizer was a little bit further back along the boom, it would be perfect).

You'll also find you'll get about 5 minutes flying time from the first charge, then the following charge will take about two hours to get to full charge, especially with the OEM balancer / charger unit, from then on, the charging times will get shorter and the flight times will get longer. Before I changed over my battery, a full charge would take about an hour and the flight times would be close to 18 minutes (depending on what you actually do) with one take off and the rest of the time actually flying it, then landing when, at full stick, you can't keep it in the air anymore.

Mick.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:49 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
Thetis,

Glad you got your 9116. Yes, smaller than the 9104, but much more fun to fly.

No, it is not normal for the throttle to be up like that when you turn the box on. There are actually 2 reasons the throttle MUST be in the 'off' or all the way down position before turning on the controller or the heli. The first is as you stated, she will take off and second, the gyro will not engage and level out the swashplate if the throttle is set to anything other than 'off'. I noticed that early on after I got mine.

Is that picture taken with the throttle all the way down? I can't tell.

~Mike
Majic1 is offline Find More Posts by Majic1
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
BTW Mick,

I saw the post you gave Thetis above with all the controller settings and I was wondering if you have ever tried changing any of the cyclical range adjustments to 120? If you have the box on the 'Q' switch, you can do that. It kind of gives you a little more to work with, in the way of control. It makes a huge difference when it's breezy, I think.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:08 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic1 View Post
Thetis,

Glad you got your 9116. Yes, smaller than the 9104, but much more fun to fly.

No, it is not normal for the throttle to be up like that when you turn the box on. There are actually 2 reasons the throttle MUST be in the 'off' or all the way down position before turning on the controller or the heli. The first is as you stated, she will take off and second, the gyro will not engage and level out the swashplate if the throttle is set to anything other than 'off'. I noticed that early on after I got mine.

Is that picture taken with the throttle all the way down? I can't tell.

~Mike
Thanks for the prompt response. When I turn on the Tx in mode 2 (Throttle, Left spring lever) is in middle. I pulled the lever down and then turned Tx on but when released still the same problem occurs.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:12 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
Welcome to the DH9116 club, thetis!!!

I hope your weather holds out for you to get it dialled in properly. If not, I'm sure you'll have heaps of fun with it anyway!!!

It has a gentle take off, it won't shoot off the ground like the others, but once you get it going forwards, it rips along quite well. I haven't had a blade strike yet from it. When you are about to take off, turn the main blades across the body on their shortest extension and make sure they are reasonably level. That way when you start to spool up, the main blades won't catch under the horizontal stabilizer (if the horizontal stabilizer was a little bit further back along the boom, it would be perfect).

You'll also find you'll get about 5 minutes flying time from the first charge, then the following charge will take about two hours to get to full charge, especially with the OEM balancer / charger unit, from then on, the charging times will get shorter and the flight times will get longer. Before I changed over my battery, a full charge would take about an hour and the flight times would be close to 18 minutes (depending on what you actually do) with one take off and the rest of the time actually flying it, then landing when, at full stick, you can't keep it in the air anymore.

Mick.
Thank you Mick. The problems though already started (I am sure I will overcome every and each on of them). I am currently in AZ for the winter and the weather is favorable for flying the 9104. I am sure the newcomer after trimmed properly will take to the air.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the prompt response. When I turn on the Tx in mode 2 (Throttle, Left spring lever) is in middle. I pulled the lever down and then turned Tx on but when released still the same problem occurs.
Ok, what do you mean by pull the throttle down, then release it? Do you mean the gimbal stick won't stay down on it's own? It keeps going back to the middle?
Are you sure your Tx is Mode 2?
Last edited by Majic1; Dec 28, 2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:38 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Ok, what do you mean by pull the throttle down, then release it? Do you mean the gimbal stick won't stay down on it's own? It keeps going back to the middle?
the two sticks left with spring (throttle) right no spring. mode 2 , according to the manual left throttle/rudder and right elevator/aileron. is this mode 2? it shows 2 when keep the menu button down for 2 secs.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
Quote:
It should look like this when you turn it on Thetis.
Pic is Tx with the throttle down (off).
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
Quote:
the two sticks left with spring (throttle) right no spring. mode 2 , according to the manual left throttle/rudder and right elevator/aileron. is this mode 2? it shows 2 when keep the menu button down for 2 secs.
I think you need to look at the back of the box that the heli came in Thetis. Some of the 9116 apparently come with mode 1 controllers and others mode 2. I don't know why that is, but the back of the box should be checked which one you have. I think you might have a mode 1 controller.

Can you move the right stick forward and backward incrementally, without springing back to the middle?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:59 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
It should look like this when you turn it on Thetis.
Pic is Tx with the throttle down (off).
My left stick has a spring and keeps it always in the middle. The right stick is a free play. Is it yours the same?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
Quote:
My left stick has a spring and keeps it always in the middle. The right stick is a free play. Is it yours the same?
You have a mode 1 controller. You have to change that in the box.

Mine is Mode 2. Look at the pic I sent. Mine should be backwards from yours, right?

The reason why the menu flashes 'Mode 2', is because, they actually allow you to change the mode in the Tx itself, which is not recommended for obvious reasons. As you already found out, it makes it extremely difficult to fly that way.
Once you change the Tx to 'Mode 1' your controlls should act normal. Yes, your throttle and rudd will be on the right and your cyclical on the left. But, at least you will be able to fly it.
Last edited by Majic1; Dec 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: not finished
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:10 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
You have a mode 1 controller. You have to change that in the box.

Mine is Mode 2. Look at the pic I sent. Mine should be backwards from yours, right?
I looked at the back of the box and it is mode 1. My question now is after changing the 2 which shows on the screen to 1 how can I save it? I tried couple of times but when I power the box shows 2 again. Thanks very much for your help.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
Quote:
I looked at the back of the box and it is mode 1. My question now is after changing the 2 which shows on the screen to 1 how can I save it? I tried couple of times but when I power the box shows 2 again. Thanks very much for your help.
That's easy. Any time you make achange to any of the settings, just press and hold the 'menu' button down for like 2 seconds until it gives you a long beep. Done! Saved!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:22 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
That's easy. Any time you make achange to any of the settings, just press and hold the 'menu' button down for like 2 seconds until it gives you a long beep. Done! Saved!
Mike, thank you very much indeed, it worked. I do not know where you are located but it is going to be 72F tomorrow in Phoenix and I am looking forward to take her for a spin. Chris
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
You are very welcome Chris. I am in San Diego and it has been unusually cold here lately. I wish it would warm up. Ha! You might want to read some of mine and Mick's earlier posts regarding programming the trim settings into the Tx and getting it dialed in. I hope they will help you.

Let us hear how it goes...
Closed Thread