HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
it probably would, as long as you keep the voltage at 7.4v and increase the airflow into the canopy to keep the pcb and motor cool
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Last edited by stormforce; Feb 03, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
9116 Tail Motor Surgery With Pictures…

So many have had the tail motor fail just after a few flights as I did. I thought I would go looking for the problem. What I found that may be a little hard to see is, the brushes burn really fast and leave burn lines on the commentators of the armature. Somebody had mentioned flooding the motor with contact cleaner and that brought it back. The only problem is if the bushing near the brush assembly loses its lubrication, there is really no good way to get oil to it without taking it apart.

I am throwing this out to those who may know, is there a way to tell the TX not to hit this motor with full current to make a spin? Either it is built of the wrong materials in the brush area or there has to be a way to back the control current off a little. Maybe an in line resister or something.

Just asking, some of you have changed out the tail motors after they failed, is the replacement holding up any better?

Any Ideas as to what would be best? Or maybe just need to find a good replacement motor.
rcwatchman is offline Find More Posts by rcwatchman
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:46 PM
morris alabama
Joined Feb 2001
367 Posts
I think that the tail rotor on these only has to work yawing the helicopter to the right. If yawing to the left all the rotor has to do is stop turning and torque takes over to go left.
tigermoth is offline Find More Posts by tigermoth
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:32 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
I think that the tail rotor on these only has to work yawing the helicopter to the right. If yawing to the left all the rotor has to do is stop turning and torque takes over to go left.
That is correct, maybe some are burning out quicker due to how you setup the heli as in there is to much torque to the left so you need allot of right rudder input to correct it so the motor is working to hard and burning out quicker where as with mine I have to put a bit of left rudder so it's actualy running slower.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
sounds like a bad batch of tail motors to me...

All I can suggest is from day one, before you fly it, lubricate every moving part on the heli with silicon oil and silicon grease, and do it weekly or after 5 hours of flight.
Last edited by stormforce; Feb 03, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:36 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwatchman View Post
tail motors after they failed
replacement motor.

Be sure to keep wires away from the gyro. They put the gyro as far forward as they could to get it away from the motor and battery wiring.

Any electrical noise near the gyro will cause it to constantly readjust your tail rotor.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...4-IMG_0003.jpg
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:56 AM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
After a week of rain finally had great Conditions to give this helli a decent fly and all I can say is WOW!!!! All the mucking around getting it dialed in was worth it. I can get it to hover with little stick movement and boy does she get up and go!!! In the end I had to switch back to slow on the tx as my fingers couldn't keep up with it

Had a couple of hard landings and managed to break the metal arm to the tail on one side and the flybar put a nice dent in the tail but it still didn't miss a beat. I think my 9053 will be getting a bit of a rest now
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:21 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auflyer View Post
After a week of rain finally had great Conditions to give this helli a decent fly and all I can say is WOW!!!! All the mucking around getting it dialed in was worth it. I can get it to hover with little stick movement and boy does she get up and go!!! In the end I had to switch back to slow on the tx as my fingers couldn't keep up with it

Had a couple of hard landings and managed to break the metal arm to the tail on one side and the flybar put a nice dent in the tail but it still didn't miss a beat. I think my 9053 will be getting a bit of a rest now
Good on ya yep it makes all the diferance when they are dialed in I hope you can get allot of good flying weather for practice and just haveing fun. Strong little buggers arn't they.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:27 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Yeah, it sure gets up and goes, doesn't it?

Just been doing the same thing. A very slight breeze from the SE, about 2km/h, but it handled it alright

That metal arm is called the 'decorative bar'. Did you snap the little plastic thing on the main body or the bit near the tail? I find one usually snaps the one near the main body from a tail boom strike.

Here's a cheats way of making a new decorative bar part.

Get an electrical 'spade' connector, the type one would use for electrical work for cars, get one with an approximate hole in it to suit the decorative bar (I think it is the yellow or blue one), and pull off the plastic sleeve and small outer tube, revealing a metal tube wrap type arrangement with a slice down the middle where one would normally insert the wire into, open the tube up by placing an old knife blade into the slot and push down, then push in the metal brace bar from the helicopter, crimp it nice and snug with a pair of pliers.

In the 'spade' end, drill a larger hole into the one that is already there, to suit the screw, and round off the outer edges, so it looks like this. Paint it black to look like the original and fix it to the helicopter.

I've done this when I've run out of new parts, until an order comes in.

For the other end (the square-ish 'U' shaped bit) that also holds the horizontal stabilizer on, near the tail motor end, usually there is just enough to keep the bar in position, but not keep it in place, so I slip a short length of heatshrink tubing over the end, pop the bar in, then heat it with a cigarette lighter to shrink it, once the heatshrink tubing is totally cold, I slide it off, then I place a small drop of superglue anywhere on the plastic bit and slide the tube back on, therefore fixing it in place, let it dry, then slide the bar back in place. It'll stay in place until you can get a new one.
Last edited by stormforce; Feb 04, 2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:04 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwatchman View Post
Any Ideas as to what would be best? Or maybe just need to find a good replacement motor.
it seems like the Nine Eagles Kestrel tail motor is the same width as the DH9116 tail motor, but it doesn't have a pinion gear on the shaft, as the nine eagles tail motor is a direct drive.

here's one that might fit, as long as it's an 8T pinion.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-ESKY-...item5d308849b7
Last edited by stormforce; Feb 04, 2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:11 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Ok Now i'm up for a new PCB for the 9116 I was flying in a nice hover when all of a sudden it shot sharply to the left and I droped it to the ground sat it back up and went to take off and it shot accross the floor to the left. had alook at it and the right servo arm was at the bottom of it's travel so turned it off and reset it and it did the same thing so at first I thought it was the servo. I unpluged the servo's and swaped the plugs over and the left one did the same and the right one worked fine, so it looks like the servo controller on the PCB has failed as in shorted out on the right side.

Is this the right one or is the pic just wrong I think you showed this one to someone else Mick and you said it was the right one but not sure.

PCB-9116-20-2-4Ghz
Last edited by Whizgig; Feb 04, 2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:27 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
bugger !!!

super and cheaper has one for $13.50 on ebay.au.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Double-Ho...item27c280506e
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:29 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
any burnt bits or broken tracks or wires?
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Is this the right one or is the pic just wrong I think you showed this one to someone else Mick and you said it was the right one but not sure.

PCB-9116-20-2-4Ghz
yep, it's the right one, just the wrong image...I double checked with the seller, and he wrote back saying if he's selling it for a 9116, it's the right one and he's got it in stock now.

He's in Lidcombe in NSW, I buy from him regularly, usually ships the next day after payment clears (2-3 days) and usually via Aust. Post eParcel, so it'll be a signature item with online tracking. If you buy it tonight, you'll get it by wednesday or friday at the latest.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:34 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Yep I know I just brought one and no the PCB is clean and all the wiers and componants are all fine.
Closed Thread