SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:06 AM
Steve
United Kingdom, Staffordshire
Joined Jan 2012
156 Posts
Hello

Hello and good morning from the UK. Thanks for the welcome and comments about my little fleet. Being the middle of winter here there isn't much flying time around so this morning I got up early and it was a bright, frosty day with zero wind. Don't really like flying when the temps in the low 30's but have to take every opportunity.

Anyway, the new 9116 flew like a dream, perfectly responsive and straight into a hands off hover. Flew it for about 4 minutes due to the effect of the cold on the battery and put it away happy

So I got out my 9053 Volitation with a little keyring camera attached and thought I can get some nice wintery video. Flew around for about 30 secs and then about 25 feet up the motor stopped and it dropped. It recovered just about a foot off the ground and went back up to about 25 feet again and after a few secs the same thing happened. This time it didn't recover and nosedived into the ground. I walked over fearing the worst, and there was actually a crater about 3" deep!! It looked OK, just the canopy came off and split where it clips on. Took the bits back inside and glued the canopy and refixed the battery back in position and fired it up again. Everything seems to work OK, nothing broken or bent. These things are so tough..!! I have a big 2200mAH battery in the 9053 - that's why it went in nose first.
These heli's constantly amaze me, so to all those 'purists' and brand snobs out there I would say - Let me see your $2000 super heli fly after a crash like that!

So, back to the issue I have. I have range/signal problems with all my non-2.4gHZ helis. I did a range test with this particular 9053 and could walk away over 100 yards and still had a solid red light on the pcb. Yet get it up in the air and I am losing contact at 10 -15 yards, particularly if I turn the heli in flight using the sticks. Have done all the usual checks eg resistance check on antenna wire, solder joints on pcb etc. I find that I actually get better range if I have the antenna wire in the stock position around the skid rather than along the boom and tail

Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome.
Chester1 is offline Find More Posts by Chester1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:53 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Good late evening from Australia.

The Mhz frequency wire antennas are pre-tuned at the factory and the heli's best range is designed for them to be wrapped around the skids, so I'd stick with that, some have success with straightening them out and attaching them to the tail, some don't.

My 9101 is slightly better attached to the tail, but I don't let it go anymore than 25 metres from me. My other 9100's are still wrapped around the skids and they work fine, but I only fly them in a 25 metre radius of me.

Bigger batteries require a re-balance of the heli. I usually suspended the heli with a length of string from the balance bar directly above the main shaft, and eyeball the balance, and adjust the counterweight with some stacked motorcycle 5g or 10g weights opposite the battery on the opposite side of the main shaft until it is pretty level.

Longer flight times usually overheats the motors, and the excessive heat de-polarizes the magnets inside the motor, to say nothing of just wearing out the brushes quicker, so unless you always fly in very cold conditions, like you are at present, or use a heatsink on the motor, a larger capacity battery will definately shorten the service life any motor. Best to go 1/4 to 1/3rd the original capacity of the OEM battery if you want to upgrade the battery capacity while still using the OEM motors, anything more can be counter-productive in the long run. Hence why most usually upgrade the OEM brushed motor to a brushless motor and increase the voltage and capacity of the battery at the same time.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Last edited by stormforce; Jan 28, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:48 AM
Steve
United Kingdom, Staffordshire
Joined Jan 2012
156 Posts
Thanks for the input Mick. Yes, I am careful with the bigger batteries and even in warmer weather only fly for about 10-12 mins max before resting the motors. I got the balance on the 9053 perfect and it will take off straight up into a hands free hover, none of the tail heavy drift as with the stock Li-ion. Just the range problem to resolve now but will keep experimenting.

As for the 9116 - what a beaut!! It flies so much more precisely than the more expensive Eflite Blade 120SR. I did the mechanical swash plate adjustments and it needs just a touch of trim now and I'm in 'hover heaven'

Been keeping up with this thread for quite a while now while waiting for my 9116 to arrive and I must say you are a real store of knowledge and advice especially for beginners - well done, we need new people to get involved in our hobby. There are a few forums in the UK but are mostly populated by those boorish, know it all types who look down their noses at you when you say you have a Double Horse heli. For me, I get a lot of pleasure from flying my cheap & cheerful collection and at the end of the day that's all that really matters.
Chester1 is offline Find More Posts by Chester1
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:51 AM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
259 Posts
Mick-Great information on converting the 3ch transmitters over. I will start on mine this weekend. I'd really like to still be able to fly them in the house or even outdoors with the 9053 (on a calm day) and I need to keep my finger orientation that same as the 4 channel or I'm going to serious crash the 9116 one of these flights.
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester1 View Post
Thanks for the input Mick. Yes, I am careful with the bigger batteries and even in warmer weather only fly for about 10-12 mins max before resting the motors. I got the balance on the 9053 perfect and it will take off straight up into a hands free hover, none of the tail heavy drift as with the stock Li-ion. Just the range problem to resolve now but will keep experimenting.

As for the 9116 - what a beaut!! It flies so much more precisely than the more expensive Eflite Blade 120SR. I did the mechanical swash plate adjustments and it needs just a touch of trim now and I'm in 'hover heaven'

Been keeping up with this thread for quite a while now while waiting for my 9116 to arrive and I must say you are a real store of knowledge and advice especially for beginners - well done, we need new people to get involved in our hobby. There are a few forums in the UK but are mostly populated by those boorish, know it all types who look down their noses at you when you say you have a Double Horse heli. For me, I get a lot of pleasure from flying my cheap & cheerful collection and at the end of the day that's all that really matters.
BRAVO +1 !!
roadglidec is offline Find More Posts by roadglidec
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
No worries, Chester,

I'm only a beginner too, but like most here I've been bitten by the heli bug. If I see one I haven't got, I've just gotta have it !!!

I don't care if they are cheap and cheerful, as you put it so well, I'm having a hard enough time getting them to fly like a real heli, without doing all the really cool stuff like flying upside-down, or spinning on their tails, etc, etc, etc. I doubt I'll be that good, but to me, it doesn't really matter anymore, I'm having heaps of fun as it is.

Tom4416,

The conversion is pretty easy, but I've done quite a few now, so I can do a conversion in my sleep. I took my 9100's out for a fly yesterday arvo, and they are so much easier to control now the TX is setup properly. I can understand why the controllers were setup this way. For learners it would be easier to use one stick than try to coordinate with the two sticks. But I think it sets you up for a fall, going from 3ch to 4ch, you will crash the heli, then you have to buy parts. It's like computer printers, buy a printer for $25, then because you can by anything cheaper, you have to buy their replacement ink cartridges at $30ea, and of course you need both, so thats $60 for the pair. For every set of cartridges, you could have bought two whole new printers !!!

What did they call it "built in obsolescence". I think we all have fallen into their trap.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
hey take a look at this vid, aussietom,

4 channels mod of the 9104 with 9116 component (0 min 48 sec)

If I'm not mistaken, both side plates, there are cutouts that looks like holes for two servo's, similar to the cutouts on the 9100. I bet you we will see a 4ch 9104 type heli next year.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
here's another...

Shuang Ma 9104 mods to 4ch test 1 (2 min 42 sec)
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:58 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Just picked one of these up at the AZ Electric Festival. My first 4 channel heli. Put two flights on it in the back yard.

Flies great IMHO. I'm going to try to get some video tonight.

I actually bought it for my 8-year old because he's showing an interest in helis and has a lot of fun with our 3 channel toys. But the old rudder-on-the-right-stick-issue will be a problem so I want him to take the next step with this. I have a Blade 450 on the way so we need to get comfy with this one!!!
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:58 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmrast View Post
Just picked one of these up at the AZ Electric Festival. My first 4 channel heli. Put two flights on it in the back yard.

Flies great IMHO. I'm going to try to get some video tonight.

I actually bought it for my 8-year old because he's showing an interest in helis and has a lot of fun with our 3 channel toys. But the old rudder-on-the-right-stick-issue will be a problem so I want him to take the next step with this. I have a Blade 450 on the way so we need to get comfy with this one!!!
Welcome to the forum, yes they are very adictive. Mick and me have changed our 3ch mode 4 TX's to 3ch mode 2 which IMHO should be the corretct way so you don't have this re learnig to goto a 4ch. To me it's obvious if they all were the same it makes it easy to learn and to progress your learning at a faster rate.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:13 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Welcome to the forum, yes they are very adictive. Mick and me have changed our 3ch mode 4 TX's to 3ch mode 2 which IMHO should be the corretct way so you don't have this re learnig to goto a 4ch. To me it's obvious if they all were the same it makes it easy to learn and to progress your learning at a faster rate.
Got two more flights on it in the back yard. Flew a little on high rates... but my yard isn't too big so I had to be careful.

I was thinking tonight that if someone like Syma made an infra-red TX with a switch that would allow the user to either have the rudder on the right, or left, that they would sell a ton. Those not looking to move on from the toys would keep the rudder on the right. Those looking to train & move up could have it on the left.

I wonder if I should take it out to the last day of the AZ Electric Fest tomorrow and fly with the Trex 700's!!
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:53 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
The Mhz frequency wire antennas are pre-tuned at the factory and the heli's best range is designed for them to be wrapped around the skids, so I'd stick with that, some have success with straightening them out and attaching them to the tail, some don't.

My 9101 is slightly better attached to the tail, but I don't let it go anymore than 25 metres from me. My other 9100's are still wrapped around the skids and they work fine, but I only fly them in a 25 metre radius of me.
Hi Mick correct me if I'm wrong but in all of my RC flying and dealings with radio's and aerials ect, the tuneing of the aerial is determend by the length of the wire which needs to be extended to its's full length along the length of the aircraft in question same as the TX aerial needs to be at it's full extention for distance and clear reception as the wire is infact a dipole.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:48 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Yep, you are correct eugene, but as I wrote earlier, some have success, some don't with opening up and extending the aerial wire.

Dunno why, I just go with what works, it's easier on the brain...
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:42 AM
Lee
United States, NJ, East Orange
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
Supplier for Spare Parts

Hey everyone, I came across Toys World Express tonight and was wondering if anyone has bought anything from them. How were they to work with? Where are they based? How was the shipping? Etc.

I'm thinking about stocking up on a few necessities, considering my issue with the PCB after 4 flights and a semi-brutal crash.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lee.
ProfeC is offline Find More Posts by ProfeC
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:52 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Not personally, I try to buy whole heli's from local dealers, for warranty issues, but for parts I'll buy from oversea's, as I don't think it matters much.

By the looks of things, it is either a US based or Hong Kong based website, probably Hong Kong based is my guess by the look of the office photo.

http://www.toysworldexpress.com/about_us.html
Last edited by stormforce; Jan 29, 2012 at 05:58 AM.
Closed Thread