HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:14 PM
morris alabama
Joined Feb 2001
367 Posts
The transmitter will set up both ways. You might have to move a spring and ratchet to change from what you get.
tigermoth is offline Find More Posts by tigermoth
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
I have a real problem now trying to go back and fly the 3ch copters. I've almost broken the left stick trying to use the rudder. Think flying those might bring back some bad habits, at least until I've fully mastered the 4ch. Wish they would make a 3ch where the rudder and throttle are on the same stick and the elevator on the right one (for mode 2). Then I could still play with the toy without relearning bad habits. I wonder if I could disassemble the tx and move sticks and wires around to accomplish that myself?
It can be done, I've just never considered it. You'd have to get a Mode 1 tx and physically transfer the throttle and rudder controls over to the left stick, and the elevator controls onto the right, like with mode 2. Since you don't have any yaw, the aileron controls won't be needed.

I might see if it's feasible to convert one of my mode 2, 3ch TX's for my 9100 into a mode 2, 4ch TX, that way I can fly my 9100 without having to re-think what, does what.

I could handle not having aileron controls, but the whole mind set of throttle and rudder on the left has stuck now and I just can't get past it anymore, I was able to before, but I've spent so much time flying the 4ch's, I get myself into heaps of trouble flying 3ch's, and I consider that a step backwards.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Last edited by stormforce; Jan 27, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:57 PM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
Hey Scott,

It's great to have another local on board, I'm up near Inverell, which by the distance under your name is only 273kms from me, so if you need urgent emergency parts for your 9116 when you get it, you can always ask if I have them in stock, plus I work for Aust. Post, so I might be able to get them there quicker than normal (I'm real good with our truck drivers, they will unofficially take urgent stufff with them in the truck cab and transfer it between drivers at the mail distribution centre, heaps quicker than Aust. Post can sort, for the price of a 6 pack, turn around is usually 6 hours within a 500km radius).

Mode 2 seems to be the norm now, but the biggest problem I've found is you have to ask for a particular TX mode, otherwise you get "pot luck". I was lucky getting a 9116 tx in mode 2 as I didn't ask and it wasn't listed as such. But since the 9116 TX has mode 1 or 2 programmed into it, you will just need to physically transfer the return springs over to the preferred stick to physically make it a mode 1 or 2, which isn't overly difficult. I usually buy from either Hobby-warehouse or superhobbystore on ebay, both are based in western sydney, so the delivery period is usually 3 - 5 days to me.

Mode 1 was the accepted norm here in Oz, taking after Europe and the U.K, but I think the trend towards mode 2, is the sticks closely mimic the controls of a real heli. I find mode 2 more instinctive, having the throttle and rudder controls on the left stick and the cyclic and aileron sticks on the right.

But each to their own...
Thanks Mick,

As I said I have ordered the FP100 in mode 2 to practise indoors, as you the know the weather this year has been ordinary. Will probally go ahead and get the 9116 mode 2 this week. Will just have to hide the costs from the wife lol. From a hobby two weeks old, I now have one heli, one on order, new accucel 6 charger and a whole bunch or parts on its way. Everything I have borught from EBAY in OZ is the same two stores as you, actually picked up a nice little remote control Lambo and small gyro helli for my sons sixth bday next week from them

Thanks for you offer on parts. It seems that DH are very crash hardy which is good. Im just south or Port Macquarie so not that far away. I get out that way occasionally with work, beautiful country but very ordinary drive lol

Cheers Scott
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:06 PM
Tom
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
If you can go mode two every time buddy. To my mind it is far easier to control. It feels more natural
Aussietom is offline Find More Posts by Aussietom
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
...just working on modding the 9100 tx into a 4ch control tx now.

It might be something worth doing to your 9104 TX, aussietom. so it won't teach you bad habits or get you confused when swapping from the 9116 back to the 9104.

From the looks of inside the 9100 tx, it was originally designed as a mode 1, but the control wire plugs are on opposite sides of the TX board, so I'll have to swap over the sticks and re-plug everything back. Should be a relatively easy mod by the look of things.
Last edited by stormforce; Jan 27, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
ok, it's done.

Relatively easy to do, no soldering, just undo some screws and plug the trimpot wires into the relevant sockets.

The false trim on the stick direction that isn't being used, is just screwed in, so it was just a matter of unscrewing it and swapping it over to it's new position.

I made a "booboo", I left the spring on the now throttle stick, switched the 9100 heli on and it took off sideways into the legs of my battery charging table, and snapped the pivot point from the inner shaft. Not to worry, I have a few inner shafts here to fix it quick.
Last edited by stormforce; Jan 27, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
I just matched the 9100 controls with the 9116 controls and it is spot on. Still feels a bit funny not having the aileron control, and I'll probably go to use it, but it won't be there. Other than that, it's pretty much the same.

So other than busting an inner shaft in the process through my own stupidity, it wasn't as painful as I thought it could be. The proof of success, will be in flying it.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
It's still too windy out, but I took the 9100 out anyway for a quick test flight and all is good. You can fly it just as you would with a 4ch TX, no fumbling and having to re-think what stick, does what, like before. I do miss the aileron control, what can one do...

I'm now gonna convert my other 27mHz 9100 over now too. I might even see about converting the 9101 over later on.
Last edited by stormforce; Jan 27, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:41 PM
Tom
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
Uh-oh.

Was having a quick flying session in what was a little too gusty wind for my liking. As I came in to land a gust of wind took the helicopter and drove it into my outside dining table before I could react. I picked it up and couldn't see any damage to be noticed at first. When I set it down to take off again, as I applied a slight throttle it went to full throttle and spun very very rapidly. I shut it down and examined it. The flybar at the top of the rotor mast was somewhat bent which I straightened. Now it sometimes holds tail authority although it can't seem to differentiate between throttle inputs. An idle input for throttle takes it straight to full throttle and I can't seem to shut it down without physically turning the heli off from its switch (I have been experimenting while holding the heli in my hand) Suggestions? I can't see any cracks in the PCB although their are specs of what might be dirt, hard to say. So disappointed! I was really getting the hang of this heli and having some fun!
Aussietom is offline Find More Posts by Aussietom
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
sounds like the throttle control has short circuited
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
[QUOTE=stormforce;20553083]...are you going to buy some?

I won't get mine for a week or two, so if you do, and install them let us know your recommendations of them.[ On the pro 180 search I find that there is a type A and a type B....I called and was told no tech support, No idea,check your manual,Im only an aswering service,........... any way A?B?
roadglidec is offline Find More Posts by roadglidec
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
[QUOTE=roadglidec;20559669]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
...are you going to buy some?

I won't get mine for a week or two, so if you do, and install them let us know your recommendations of them.[ On the pro 180 search I find that there is a type A and a type B....I called and was told no tech support, No idea,check your manual,Im only an aswering service,........... any way A?B?
I think the motor to the front of a coaxial is the A motor, the one with the pinion closest to the motor body on the shaft. This is the one we want for the 9116.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xtreme-PRO-1...72240392834328
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Back on the subject of transferring the stick operations on a 3ch heli TX to mimic the stick operations on a 4ch TX, you don't need to un-plug anything, as the trimpots stay put, you are just moving the physical sticks themselves. The only trimpot you switch over is the rudder control and the trim over to the throttle, instead of it being on the cyclic stick, and you don't need to unplug it either.

I've just converted all but one of my 3ch heli TX's to mimic a 4ch TX (except my sub-micro DH9098 Coaxial, it physically can not be done to the infra-red TX ).

It was all way too easy to do.

Now all I need to do is to convert my Walkera TX from Mode 1 to Mode 2 and all of my heli's have the same stick operation movements and they will all be mode 2.
Last edited by stormforce; Jan 27, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:01 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
I have a real problem now trying to go back and fly the 3ch copters. I've almost broken the left stick trying to use the rudder. Think flying those might bring back some bad habits, at least until I've fully mastered the 4ch. Wish they would make a 3ch where the rudder and throttle are on the same stick and the elevator on the right one (for mode 2). Then I could still play with the toy without relearning bad habits. I wonder if I could disassemble the tx and move sticks and wires around to accomplish that myself?
Yes I know what you mean I've been doing the same thing so I am looking at converting the TX to mode 2 with the rudder on the left stick.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:03 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester1 View Post
Hi all from the cold, wet & windswept UK . Can someone please tell me how to post a photo on to this thread.

Many thanks.
Hi Chester and welcome to the forum.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Closed Thread