HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Nov 2012
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
Welcome to the forum

I would say that most of the "fried" PCB's are actually just bad gyros.
I have 2 boards with damaged gyros, but they also have physical damage.

A while back, I ordered a replacement gyro, and I have a thread on it.
I installed it (not easy) but still had trouble because I think the board
was damaged in other areas.

I still need to try it in a working PCB, and will, as soon as I have more
than one working PCB on hand.

Switching out MOSFETS has worked twice now, when I had 2 motors
short out and smoke them (because of MOPS mod).

I robbed the transistors from the boards with bad gyros and it worked great.

Sooo, if you have a damaged PCB, don't throw it away.
It just may get you back in the air by becoming a component donor
Thanks for the advice! I actually did hold on to the PCB so we'll see what the future holds. Hopefully, not many crashes!
aphex4000 is offline Find More Posts by aphex4000
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:19 AM
Just a 9116 flyer.
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Dec 2012
625 Posts
Hi all,

Well, after taking my time & reading all these posts & pages, I thought I'd say hello.

Sorry if this brings back memories but....
First up, I know I'm very late, but I would like to add my condolences to Mick & his family
& many friends.

I appreciate all the informative posts he made & know he will be sadly missed.

O.K.

I just purchased a 9116, (not received as yet), but hopefully not long now.

I do have a few "spares" coming too.

I saw the many mods that are on offer, as well as the links to the "Bible" etc etc.

Anyway, my Q?s is really about the tail motor assy. & is it necessary for any mod to it?
Longer bracket to get it slightly higher & more out-of-the-prop wash?
Or, is it just a matter of cycling the new Li-Po batteries & running the motors in?
( ie; Bedding in the brushes.)
As well as the total O/H, mods & inspection of the innards & workings of the Heli.
&, someone mentioned shortening the balance bar a tad.
By how much & how about lightening the weights?

I have a few more enquiries to make but these will do for now.

Many thanks for a great forum.

Regards, L..

Seasons Greetings to all.

ps. A little tip that I picked up during the years.
Instead of using "Locktite" on those pesky little screws, try clear nail polish.
Works very well & it's cheap.
Rajah235 is online now Find More Posts by Rajah235
Last edited by Rajah235; Dec 22, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajah235 View Post
Hi all,

Well, after taking my time & reading all these posts & pages, I thought I'd say hello.

Sorry if this brings back memories but....
First up, I know I'm very late, but I would like to add my condolences to Mick & his family
& many friends.

I appreciate all the informative posts he made & know he will be sadly missed.

O.K.

I just purchased a 9116, (not received as yet), but hopefully not long now.

I do have a few "spares" coming too.

I saw the many mods that are on offer, as well as the links to the "Bible" etc etc.

Being a retired spark/tech & having partaken in RC power boats, Radio Yachting (still do) & slot car stuff for about 40 + years, I figure I have gained a little info on how most of this stuff functions.
(Hopefully without failure.) ((Tain't never gunna happen.))

Anyway, my Q? is really about the tail motor assy. & is it necessary for any mod to it?
Longer bracket to get it slightly higher & more out-of-the-prop wash?
Or, is it just a matter of cycling the new Li-Po batteries & running the motors in?
( ie; Bedding in the brushes.)

I have a few more enquiries to make but these will do for now.

Many thanks for a great forum.

Regards, L..
Welcome, L!
First:
no tail mod is really necessary as long as you stay with stock main motors - I have one left absolutely stock (for reference purposes only, now rebadged as "Mick's memorial") and it does its job.
My second one is slightly modded with a direct drive tail and some minor changes (you can find most of them in my blog) - but imho it is a run for something this bird can't do by purpose and wasn't meant to do.
Instead modding a 9116 out you should buy another bird that is much more capable.

Nevertheless it amazes me what can be done - just look at Steve's mods.

Second: Please change to the new 9116 Heli Thread regarding questions about your bird - we wanted to let this thread end with obituaries to Mick.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:05 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Welcome, L!
First:
no tail mod is really necessary as long as you stay with stock main motors - I have one left absolutely stock (for reference purposes only, now rebadged as "Mick's memorial") and it does its job.
My second one is slightly modded with a direct drive tail and some minor changes (you can find most of them in my blog) - but imho it is a run for something this bird can't do by purpose and wasn't meant to do.
Instead modding a 9116 out you should buy another bird that is much more capable.

Nevertheless it amazes me what can be done - just look at Steve's mods.

Second: Please change to the new 9116 Heli Thread regarding questions about your bird - we wanted to let this thread end with obituaries to Mick.
-mike-
Yes This thread has been closed and moved to "The new Double Horse 9116 Heli thread"

In respect for Mick so if you wish to get help by all means read the information in this thread and you can click on Stormforces name in the left column on any one of his posts and read his blog and download the PDF's etc that we both but together to help you with your heli's and then go over the the new thread from the link above and post your questions there please and we will be more than happy to help you.

Regards.

Eugene.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Last edited by Whizgig; Dec 24, 2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
638 Posts
balance bar

So, I have noticed the balance bar on the dh 9116, has a weak point in the connection to the ball at the end, from the bar itself. I remember hearing about making the bar shorter? but, how would you do that? thanks in advance.

jimmy

I also have another question, how do I not let the tail motor burn out, it seems to happen say every ten flights and usually I am not even pushing it that hard.
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:06 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,619 Posts
Jimmy, read the post above yours.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
638 Posts
ok, thanks.
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
I feel your pain. Do fine in the sim where no money is at stake, completely different with the real bird in the air. Even though I was flying shallow circuits with it and bringing in back in mostly fine, my palms were sweaty every time I finished. I think it's knowing there is no such thing as a damage free bump with a CP. Heck, even putting it down a little off center can have it fall over, strike the blades and bend any number of parts. Not for me. Even fixed wing was far more forgiving than a CP heli.

No, 4ch FP is enough to entertain me and although the 9116 is getting a little too routine, I'm hoping the MJX F45 will add a little spice back into the picture. Just not buying it until Eugene does a comparison between his and the 9117 he ordered. Fortunately, my 9117 sold on ebay so it's off to frustrate someone new .
a dudes bros you can mod ya 9116 to make it fast as any chopper just extend ya servo arms longer and take some wait off put a 180 pro engine in it shortend ya fly bar, get it real fellas
helicopterdude is offline Find More Posts by helicopterdude
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:37 AM
Just a 9116 flyer.
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Dec 2012
625 Posts
helicopterdude,
I'm new to helis & this site as well & I don't wish to offend you but did you read the previous posts re; this is a closed thread, in respect to a member passing away?

Please use the "other" new thread. Thank you.
> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...773527&page=18
Rajah235 is online now Find More Posts by Rajah235
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:40 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajah235 View Post
helicopterdude,
I'm new to helis & this site as well & I don't wish to offend you but did you read the previous posts re; this is a closed thread, in respect to a member passing away?

Please use the "other" new thread. Thank you.
> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...773527&page=18
Thank you helicopterdude and Rajah.

This thread is closed no questions will be dealt with on this thread you will need to go to the link above out of respect for Mick.

Eugene.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Closed Thread