HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
your right oldspool, what i do is fly my v911 between flights. ive got a quad on the way also so i will have three copters and 18 batteries to take to the sports field so each will get a resting period between flights. right now im flying in 40 degree weather ( seattle, GO SEAHAWKS ) but when it gets hot this summer i will be more carefull
hawkfiend37 is offline Find More Posts by hawkfiend37
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Just switched the 9116 PCB to one from an 9117. Turned the servos 180 backwards and all that I need now is to adjust to get a nice hover. Looking great so far
Chaplin is offline Find More Posts by Chaplin
Last edited by Chaplin; Dec 11, 2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:33 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfiend37 View Post
your right oldspool, what i do is fly my v911 between flights. ive got a quad on the way also so i will have three copters and 18 batteries to take to the sports field so each will get a resting period between flights. right now im flying in 40 degree weather ( seattle, GO SEAHAWKS ) but when it gets hot this summer i will be more carefull
I'm not that far north of you and I find I can't keep my 9116's in the air for more than a few seconds when it's below 10 degrees C. How do you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
Just switched the 9116 PCB to one from an 9117. Turned the servos 180 backwards and all that I need now is to adjust to get a nice hover. Looking great so far
Is the 9117 pcb better?
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
rexless, maybe its my brand new upgraded batteries. they are the same type that came with the bird but they have a couple hundred more mah. flew today in cold windy weather ( 3 batts in a row ) and had at least 9 min flights each time and got the 9116 about 80 yards in the air about three times per batt. it was pretty windy and i could fly foreward against the wind no problem. the lower center of gravity from velcroing the batt to the bottom and adding a ball of modeling clay in the nose for more weight in the front really helps in the wind
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:08 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,521 Posts
That's strange. I have a stock battery in one 9116 and an upgraded Lipo in the other and I can't get either one to fly for more than a few seconds before they seem to taper out. If I get some time I'll test with some other batteries I have here as well.

Thanks for letting me know... I had given up on them for the season.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
when summer comes and the air isnt as heavy with moisture and its less windy, i am going to take most of the clay out of the nose and move the battery foreward to compensate ( it will cover the lite but i dont care ) so the bird will be lighter and have more zip, but in the winter wind you have to have weight in the nose, you can get modeling clay at walmart
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
rexless the stock batteries arent any good, and the lipo sounds worn out. my stock batt on my 9116 was doa, luck would have it that i had orderd extras and they came the same day i got my bird. when i got my v911 one of the two stock batts was doa, but same thing, my upgrades came the same day. sounds to me like you need some new batteries. its probably like a old car battery will start a car no sweat at 60 degrees but wont start it at 5 degrees ( cold charging amps )
Last edited by hawkfiend37; Dec 12, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
two flights today in between rain. im worried about the moisture in the air wrecking all the parts.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,566 Posts
They're pretty tough

Quote:
two flights today in between rain. im worried about the moisture in the air wrecking all the parts.
Both of mine have played submarine in the past and were submerged completely for at lease 5 minutes or more. After drying them out good they were as good as new, so I don't think the dampness is going to harm them.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:05 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
That is awesome. I noticed the larger output transistors on the 9117
PCB, and thought it might make a good upgrade, and perhaps we could
even figure out transistor part numbers, and try them in the 9116 boards.

How much heavier is the 9117 PCB than the 9116?

Also, why not just do the servo reversing from the radio?
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Our Day at the Park
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,566 Posts
My TX doesn't like the cold

Went to fly this morning after my tx sat in my car for about 2 hours in 25 degree F temperatures. On take off my 9116 started spinning nose right and I needed full left trim and almost full left cyclic to fly. I just put new motors in the day before yesterday so I knew that it wasn't the main going.

Warmed up the tx by the wood burner for awhile and then everything was back to normal. I'm thinking that the cold temperature affects the potentiometers, but lacking electronic savvy, I'm not sure. (What say you, Steve? You seem to know your electronics.)
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:50 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
4,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
Went to fly this morning after my tx sat in my car for about 2 hours in 25 degree F temperatures. On take off my 9116 started spinning nose right and I needed full left trim and almost full left cyclic to fly. I just put new motors in the day before yesterday so I knew that it wasn't the main going.

Warmed up the tx by the wood burner for awhile and then everything was back to normal. I'm thinking that the cold temperature affects the potentiometers, but lacking electronic savvy, I'm not sure. (What say you, Steve? You seem to know your electronics.)
It is not the potentiometers, but there is definitely a circuit in there that
is temperature sensitive. Cheap oscillators perform in this fashion.

The stock 9116 charger is also temperature sensitive, and I have almost
had it ruin packs when it got too hot (before I added a fan).

Also, some types of batteries give low voltages when cold, and could cause
strange things to happen to your TX.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 15, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
there is a guy on ebay selling 9116 upgrade kits. its upgraded motors ( both ) and a 800 mah flat battery for $ 48. its item # rx593582959de. looks interesting. i havent even got my wl v949 quad and key chain camera in the mail yet and i see that they are about to come out with the v 959, a v949 with landing skids and a camera so im going to put the camera on my 9116, maybe sell the 949, and buy a 959 later
Last edited by hawkfiend37; Dec 16, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:05 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,526 Posts
Quote:
there is a guy on ebay selling 9116 upgrade kits. its upgraded motors ( both ) and a 800 mah flat battery for $ 48. its item # rx593582959de. looks interesting. i havent even got my wl v949 quad and key chain camera in the mail yet and i see that they are about to come out with the v 959, a v949 with landing skids and a camera so im going to put the camera on my 9116, maybe sell the 949, and buy a 959 later
See and search for the problems using a extreme pro 180 in the 9116 - and finally you will learn it doesn't do good without further major modifications and maxing out some flaws like fried PCBs, fast wearing brushes due to lower RPM as the motor is designed for or worse flybar strikes.

So no need to buy a 3 times overpriced "kit".
Stay with the stock main motor and mod it to a DD tail of a Honey Bee CP3

Esky Honey Bee CP3 Tail Motor 002445 3.84 $
Esky Honey Bee CP3 CPX CT RC Tail Blade Set Black 002386 1.19$
Esky Honey Bee CP3 CPX RC Tail Motor Heat-Sink 002447 2.00$

Total - including shipping: 7.03 $ (at banggood)

You'll not need the heat sink - the motor barely gets warm in a 9116.
But for optics.....

Remember:
The 9116 is no sports flyer - it likes to be flown soft and gentle.
If you want to bump sth. around - buy sth. else.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:09 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
4,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
See and search for the problems using a extreme pro 180 in the 9116 - and finally you will learn it doesn't do good without further major modifications and maxing out some flaws like fried PCBs or worse flybar strikes.

So no need to buy a 3 times overpriced "kit".
Stay with the stock main motor and mod it to a DD tail of a Honey Bee CP3

Esky Honey Bee CP3 Tail Motor 002445 3.84 $
Esky Honey Bee CP3 CPX CT RC Tail Blade Set Black 002386 1.19$
Esky Honey Bee CP3 CPX RC Tail Motor Heat-Sink 002447 2.00$

Total - including shipping: 7.03 $ (at banggood)

You'll not need the heat sink - the motor barely gets warm in a 9116.
But for optics.....

-mike-
Mike speaks wise words. This is the way to go, and then lighten your
bird for the extra zing.

It's a no-no, but I just took mine out with no skids, lights, canopy, and
decorative bars.

It was an absolute freakin' rocket. It was so fast, I flew head-on into a pole
that came up on me as if it sprung from the ground.
About a $20 crash, but still a ton of fun.

**EDIT - Make that $25, I think I broke the motor too..../0.o\

Not so soft -n- gentle

I was at 100% throttle, going WITH the wind, with Full forward cyclic on fast rates,
while in a dive. Yeah. Pretty sure I dented the pole.

It sounded like somebody hitting a softball with an aluminum bat,
while smashing a plastic cup. It was pretty loud. And cool

Wish I could have gotten that one on video. I would be rich
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 17, 2012 at 04:28 AM.
Closed Thread