SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:59 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
I too am saddened by the news of Micks passing and add my condolences.

Jim
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Last edited by J_skaggs; Dec 05, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:17 PM
cut cut cut... ****!
United States, PA, Birdsboro
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Hi all,

So I have had numerous 2 and three or 3.5 channel coaxials. and per my dad's advice(he was a pilot in the AF) I never got a single blade helo. Well I must say he was wrong that they are beyond controlling, which I have very vehemently showed him in the past week I have had the 9116...

Being my first 4 ch helo it took a about 8 flights before i got used to the controls...but that was understandable.Anyway the amount of reading I did on this thread took up the time i should have spent studying for college...

But yesterday i had went outside in the morning and was flying in a baseball field in no wind......until a 20mph gust came through at 50 feet up....I managed to save the 9116 with only a broken tail rod support. Well i mended that by replacing it with 1/8"copper tubing but I couldn't manage to hold a hover anymore.....

Today I brought it inside to get it set and 4 batteries later I found a broken gear in one of the servo's. I was looking for the specs of the stock servo's, I would like to go to a little better product.....

Much appreciated if anyone has the specs on them....especially LxWxH and operating voltage....

Thanks!
and my condolences to Mick family, the knowledge he left in this thread is absolutely astonishing...I don't even know where I would have been without his help throughout the thread....

John
jkoosh27 is offline Find More Posts by jkoosh27
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:35 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoosh27 View Post
Today I brought it inside to get it set and 4 batteries later I found a broken gear in one of the servo's. I was looking for the specs of the stock servo's, I would like to go to a little better product.....

Much appreciated if anyone has the specs on them....especially LxWxH and operating voltage....
John
Hi John!
Here you are:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7475
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:17 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,324 Posts
DH9116 servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Mike, does the wire on this model come out the back or is it recessed in the housing? When I replaced mine with a stock one off eBay, the wire was out the side and the only way I could use it was to slide it in from inside the main frame. I complained to the vendor and they replaced it with "the old design" i.e. the wire out the rear. This model is half the stock servo but I wouldn't want to go thru the much harder inside the frame install again.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:23 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
Mike, does the wire on this model come out the back or is it recessed in the housing? When I replaced mine with a stock one off eBay, the wire was out the side and the only way I could use it was to slide it in from inside the main frame. I complained to the vendor and they replaced it with "the old design" i.e. the wire out the rear. This model is half the stock servo but I wouldn't want to go thru the much harder inside the frame install again.
Don
100% compatible
Left: OEM Right: Turnigy
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
maiden flight today on brand new 9116 with upgraded battery and a ball of modeling clay in the nose. what a blast !!!!!!. i have 5 more upgraded batteries and i am going to figure a way to velcro them on the bottom for quick change out ive also got about 10 hrs on a v911 ( ive got 6 extra upgraded batteries) today i orderd a v949 quad with 5 extra upgraded batteries and thats the one im going to put a camera on i think. i am going to practice my arse off and then get a wl toys cp 6 channel when they come out. what would be a ok cheap camera to mount on the 949 ? this site has been an amazing amount of help ! thank you ! ( i am new to this sport ( 3 weeks flying outdoors ) and addicted )
hawkfiend37 is offline Find More Posts by hawkfiend37
Last edited by hawkfiend37; Dec 08, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:39 PM
cut cut cut... ****!
United States, PA, Birdsboro
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Thanks Mike!
Ordered 4 for good measure....i can always swap them out with my nitro buggies for some less weight.

One more question though.....
On the last flight( attempted trim for a handsfree hover) i noticed the tail motor was giving short thrusts while still maintaining some thrust over the period....is this normal indication of the tail motor going bad? I do think the battery was low at the time so it occured to me that could be the issue but thought I'd check anyway..

John
jkoosh27 is offline Find More Posts by jkoosh27
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:39 AM
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
@Hawkfiend
I know how you feel. In just a few short months I've gone from a Syma S107g to building my first 450. This addiction is a blast. I now have seven heli's and thanks to all who have posted their knowledge I get all the help I need. Santa is coming from Hobby King this year.
NeilGerrard is offline Find More Posts by NeilGerrard
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:12 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfiend37 View Post
maiden flight today on brand new 9116 with upgraded battery and a ball of modeling clay in the nose. what a blast !!!!!!. i have 5 more upgraded batteries and i am going to figure a way to velcro them on the bottom for quick change out ive also got about 10 hrs on a v911 ( ive got 6 extra upgraded batteries) today i orderd a v949 quad with 5 extra upgraded batteries and thats the one im going to put a camera on i think. i am going to practice my arse off and then get a wl toys cp 6 channel when they come out. what would be a ok cheap camera to mount on the 949 ? this site has been an amazing amount of help ! thank you ! ( i am new to this sport ( 3 weeks flying outdoors ) and addicted )
Welcome Hawkfiend37!
Yes, addictive as hell.... it is...
Taking a 949 for a cam is the right choice if funds are limited. Better than the 929 imho ( I own them all to compare).
Most people who do some aero shots use a 808 V16 cam
further infos here.
Due to the higher weight and resulting wobble problems with standard props I recommend buying better GWS props for more thrust.
Please feel free to ask your questions regarding the 949 here.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:20 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,527 Posts
I have a 808#9 glued to the bottom of a V929 and it works reasonably well. I might try the GWS blades at some point but IMHO this helicopter is underpowered and the arms are too weak to carry the camera well. For the DH9116 - if you want to carry a camera I would recommend one of the lightest, cheapest keychain cameras you can find. The 808#16 seems heavier than the 808#9.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:36 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,324 Posts
Servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
100% compatible
Left: OEM Right: Turnigy
-mike-
Thanks for the pics Mikes. They're much better than the stock ones on the website.
Don
PS Merry Christmas to all.
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
9116 easy change out battery project was a success !!!!!!! get come some heavy duty outdoor velcro and put a couple layers on the front of the under carrage between the skids ( to build it up so it is level with the single peace that you will put on the canopy right behind the light hole) this way the canopy is still removable. then velcro the entire flat side of a battery. the battery placement is so the front off the batt is just short of the light, ( it is mounted on both the under carrage and canopy) you could mount it further foreward ( and use less or no clay in the nose i assume) but it would cover the light. you have to put model clay in the nose for front weight because the battery is set back a little from the stock mounting area. allready test flown and works great. it actually seems more stable because of the lower center of gravity. now i can use my extra batteries and fly a hour at a time with quick battery change out !!!!!!!!! if your stock copter wants to drift to the right just attach the batt a hair to the left ( or vice versa ) and it also solves that problem
hawkfiend37 is offline Find More Posts by hawkfiend37
Last edited by hawkfiend37; Dec 10, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, IL, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2012
78 Posts
9100 to 9116 radio mod Help a newbie

First it started
So my daughter and I picked up a couple V911 s after getting bored with a coax.
Then my friend gave me a 9100, Was getting the 9116 radios to upgrade the v911s anyway Going to pick all parts to do the 9116 upgrade and better servos similar to ones earlier on this page. The servo on 9100 seems funny but it seems the 9100 squash design in FFF puts heavy stress on servo. Seen the piano wire mods to center of sq. plate to ease it .Anyway first i want to try to run 9100 as 3 channel with just the 2.4 radio ,controller and original squash with the wire mod . I was trying to fly the 3 and then the 4 channel helis and thumbs had nervous break down. So I want the radios to be same mode. With the 9116 I know the servos act together. Can i take aileron servo action completely out with the radio adjustments. so a accidental aileron stick movement won't affect the elevator servo. OR will the elevator servo just act as it should and not be affected by the aileron stick. Want to use 9100 as a trainer. Later on I will finish up to full 9116
Hope this makes sense.
PS will 2.4 board handle , be affected by digital servos
153stars is offline Find More Posts by 153stars
Last edited by 153stars; Dec 10, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:51 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,057 Posts
Just turn the aileron rate down. You can effectively turn it off.

1) Hold MENU button 2 seconds, until "MODE" flashes on LCD
2) Press MENU twice to get to D/R (rates setting)
3) Press SEL (Select) once to get to AILE (Aileron)
4) Hold DN (Down) button until it reads 0%
5) Flip the rate toggle switch on upper left
6) Hold DN (Down) button until it reads 0%
7) Hold MENU for two seconds, until the voltage appears again
8) Yer Dun

This will make the aileron do nothing, no matter where you push
the stick

Keep in mind, on the 9116 the servos have goofy mixing, so both servos
would need to be installed. But you can dial in aileron as you are ready.
May as well go full blown with the 9116 parts, so it will behave correctly.

This radio has adjustable end-points as well (EPA), which means you can
choose how far the servo travels overall, so you don't have to stress anything.
Adjusting EPA's is a must in some models, as the linkages are metal
and have no give at all.

This radio is so adjustable, there is no excuse for a model that does not hover
hands off for a few seconds. When my 9116 flies, it does so very well.

As far as digital servos, another forum member will need to tell us both
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 10, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:33 AM
Too Old To Die:
United States, TX, Call
Joined Mar 2012
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfiend37 View Post
9116 easy change out battery project was a success !!!!!!! get come some heavy duty outdoor velcro and put a couple layers on the front of the under carrage between the skids ( to build it up so it is level with the single peace that you will put on the canopy right behind the light hole) this way the canopy is still removable. then velcro the entire flat side of a battery. the battery placement is so the front off the batt is just short of the light, ( it is mounted on both the under carrage and canopy) you could mount it further foreward ( and use less or no clay in the nose i assume) but it would cover the light. you have to put model clay in the nose for front weight because the battery is set back a little from the stock mounting area. allready test flown and works great. it actually seems more stable because of the lower center of gravity. now i can use my extra batteries and fly a hour at a time with quick battery change out !!!!!!!!! if your stock copter wants to drift to the right just attach the batt a hair to the left ( or vice versa ) and it also solves that problem
Hey Hawkfiend37 your battery mod sounds great. I read some time ago that this could be done. And whats really interesting is being able to use the position of the battery for right or left trim. And to fly for a hour, you must have seven or eight batteries. I just wanted to point out that the stock motor for these birds have a very short life span. I have two 9116, and after each flight , just one pack, the motors get extremely hot. I put my little finger on the motor, and can't keep it there for no more than a few seconds. To fly pack after pack with the same bird for an hour will fry the motor. Not only do the battery have to cool down, so do the motor. I only fly my two 9116 three packs per day. I shorten the down time by placing both birds on my desk, tail facing a 10" desk fan. Takes about 5 minutes to cool down before charge up. Just my opinion.
OldSpool is offline Find More Posts by OldSpool
Closed Thread