HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
Hi

Been flying my 9116 for a a couple weeks and no real problem. I have only had to trim to the left on the transmitter as the nose of my heli likes to turn slightly right.

This works fine but recently (probably due to a couple minor crashes) the nose turns alot more to the right and the trim atm is nearly set all the way to the left.

Since I am a newbie what else can I do to either the heli or transmitter to rectify?

Also what the heck is the Low tension alarm that you can program on the transmitter? ....what should it be set at?

Many thanks!
jonnewbie is offline Find More Posts by jonnewbie
Last edited by jonnewbie; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:50 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnewbie View Post
Hi

Been flying my 9116 for a a couple weeks and no real problem. I have only had to trim to the left on the transmitter as the nose of my heli likes to turn slightly right.

This works fine but recently (probably due to a couple minor crashes) the nose turns alot more to the right and the trim atm is nearly set all the way to the left.

Since I am a newbie what else can I do to either the heli or transmitter to rectify?

Also what the heck is the Low tension alarm that you can program on the transmitter? ....what should it be set at?

Many thanks!
Low Tension Alarm ??? Never seen that on my TX.
As far as the turning to the right.....sounds like the tail motor. Before you replace it I'd try & touch up the solder joints on the motor. I discovered late in the game that several of mine had very bad soldering.....the wire slipped right thru the joint & based on your minor mishaps causing this to happen I'd check that as well as the connector/re-seat it. Just follow the white/blue wires up to the PC board, its a mini JST. You might want to afterwards reset your trims as well. Hope this helps a bit.
ironhorse99 is offline Find More Posts by ironhorse99
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:26 AM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse99 View Post
Low Tension Alarm ??? Never seen that on my TX.
As far as the turning to the right.....sounds like the tail motor. Before you replace it I'd try & touch up the solder joints on the motor. I discovered late in the game that several of mine had very bad soldering.....the wire slipped right thru the joint & based on your minor mishaps causing this to happen I'd check that as well as the connector/re-seat it. Just follow the white/blue wires up to the PC board, its a mini JST. You might want to afterwards reset your trims as well. Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks ironhorse, lucky I ordered a new tail motor today....I have no idea what the Low tension alarm is , but in the instruction manual which has alot of bad English and is hard to understand it says..

"when the voltage of the battery is relatively low, the LCD analog electric quantity display that the electric quantity is used up. LED state indicator light slowly blinks and make a "beep" low tension alarm sound."

It is set on your transmitter when you enter the menu and click until both "thro" and "tri" are highlighted, then you set the Low tension alarm. Its defaulted at 0.

I am guessing it tells you when to stop flying as the battery is getting low on the actual heli?
Last edited by jonnewbie; Nov 11, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:46 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Thanks ironhorse, lucky I ordered a new tail motor today....I have no idea what the Low tension alarm is , but in the instruction manual which has alot of bad English and is hard to understand it says..

"when the voltage of the battery is relatively low, the LCD analog electric quantity display that the electric quantity is used up. LED state indicator light slowly blinks and make a "beep" low tension alarm sound."

It is set on your transmitter when you enter the menu and click until both "thro" and "tri" are highlighted, then you set the Low tension alarm. Its defaulted at 0.

I am guessing it tells you when to stop flying as the battery is getting low on the actual heli?
No. It indicates that the batts of the TX are running down.
That's all. If you want to know when your heli's battery is reaching the end of flight time you have to install a low voltage buzzer. Very useful item - you can even recognize when single cells of the batt go bad under load, so you can replace the batt.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
No. It indicates that the batts of the TX are running down.
That's all. If you want to know when your heli's battery is reaching the end of flight time you have to install a low voltage buzzer. Very useful item - you can even recognize when single cells of the batt go bad under load, so you can replace the batt.
-mike-
Mike your a legend....thanks!!!....as for the low voltage buzzer....I will get one.

Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:09 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,242 Posts
Quote:
... This works fine but recently (probably due to a couple minor crashes) the nose turns alot more to the right and the trim atm is nearly set all the way to the left.
If the nose of the heli turns right (looking from above) it means the tail motor overpowers the momentum of the main rotor.
You can try to set the subtrims in the TX menu up to 120 L and see what happens.
You should have a closer look to the bearings of the main shaft, the gears for dirt/clogging. You may also have a slowly dying main motor - but that you'll recognise with lower flight times.
It may - it often occures in damp, cool conditions - be a malfunction of the head lock gyro - ( it's the little vertical placed board soldered onto the main PCB). Take the bird inside, heat the gyro board with a hairdryer, and let the bird settle down a bit.
Switch it on / rebind to TX and let it calibrate on a flat, level surface.
try to hover inside. better now?
Even try to insert new batts in your TX - there are sometimes strange things that happen regarding the trims/ controls if the voltage drops below 8V. That's the reason for using no NiMh batts or similar rechargable ones in the 9116 TX (read the manual) - they offer only 1,2*6 = 7,2 V....
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Nov 11, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:22 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Mike your a legend....thanks!!!....as for the low voltage buzzer....I will get one.

Thanks
No legend. Just a guy who wants to help.
You'll find some infos about a Low Voltage Buzzer there:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750650
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:31 AM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
561 Posts
Quote:
If the nose of the heli turns right (looking from above) it means the tail motor overpowers the momentum of the main rotor.
You can try to set the subtrims in the TX menu up to 120 L and see what happens.
You should have a closer look to the bearings of the main shaft, the gears for dirt/clogging. You may also have a slowly dying main motor - but that you'll recognise with lower flight times.
It may - it often occures in damp, cool conditions - be a malfunction of the head lock gyro - ( it's the little vertical placed board soldered onto the main PCB). Take the bird inside, heat the gyro board with a hairdryer, and let the bird settle down a bit.
Switch it on / rebind to TX and let it calibrate on a flat, level surface.
try to hover inside. better now?
Even try to insert new batts in your TX - there are sometimes strange things that happen regarding the trims/ controls if the voltage drops below 8V. That's the reason for using no NiMh batts or similar rechargable ones in the 9116 TX (read the manual) - they offer only 1,2*6 = 7,2 V....
-mike-
Hi Mike
I'm sorry, but the information for the battery is false.
INSTRUCTION MANUAL OF 8211 LCD REMOTE CONTROL Page 3 by SHUANG MA

see for rechargeable battery thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3762
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3764

I fly for a month with rechargable batteries on my 2 TX 's and no problem.

Bye Gilles

see photo
OrangeBird is online now Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OrangeBird; Nov 11, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:24 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBird View Post
Hi Mike
I'm sorry, but the information for the battery is false.
INSTRUCTION MANUAL OF 8211 LCD REMOTE CONTROL Page 3 by SHUANG MA

see for rechargeable battery thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3762
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3764

I fly for a month with rechargable batteries on my 2 TX 's and no problem.

Bye Gilles

see photo
OK - my german manual says something different.
Thanks for your info.
That was the reason I was asking about sufficient voltage you when you posted your TX mod
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Nov 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:10 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,443 Posts
I charged up and took both of my 9116's out this morning. The blue took off and flew smooth for about a minute then started to descend at full throttle. I let it sit for 30s then could fly for about another minute before it crashed and broke the main shaft.

The orange took off smooth and flew to about 2 minutes before the tail locked and it spun to the ground.

It is -6 c today... I wonder if it just can't handle it. My F45 had no issues.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I charged up and took both of my 9116's out this morning. The blue took off and flew smooth for about a minute then started to descend at full throttle. I let it sit for 30s then could fly for about another minute before it crashed and broke the main shaft.

The orange took off smooth and flew to about 2 minutes before the tail locked and it spun to the ground.

It is -6 c today... I wonder if it just can't handle it. My F45 had no issues.
You are right - this bird doesn't want lower temperatures - was mentioned early on in this thread - plus: the plastic of the canopy gets REALLY brittle below around 5 celsius - so watch out.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:41 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
561 Posts
Quote:
OK - my german manual says something different.
Thanks for your info.
That was the reason I was asking about sufficient voltage you when you posted your TX mod
-mike-
Hi Mike
In your instruction book, do you have the minimum acceptable voltage in TX ?
I did not in mine .....
Bye Gilles
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:56 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBird View Post
Hi Mike
In your instruction book, do you have the minimum acceptable voltage in TX ?
I did not in mine .....
Bye Gilles
No, there's nothing given.
I can only talk about my own experiences.
I have 4 working 9116 TXes - and sometimes I get strange effects when the voltage of the TX runs below/near 8V. Like setting subtrims, saving them but they have no effect at all - even after reboot and rebind.
Or like blackouts while flying - similar to reaching the range limit - in only 5m distance.
All of them suddenly gone when inserting fresh batts without any further changes.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:47 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
561 Posts
Quote:
No, there's nothing given.
I can only talk about my own experiences.
I have 4 working 9116 TXes - and sometimes I get strange effects when the voltage of the TX runs below/near 8V. Like setting subtrims, saving them but they have no effect at all - even after reboot and rebind.
Or like blackouts while flying - similar to reaching the range limit - in only 5m distance.
All of them suddenly gone when inserting fresh batts without any further changes.
-mike-
Hi Mike
My voltage is always + or - 7.2V to 8V for the 2 x TX's and no problems.
The future will tell, but as I said, I fly for a month without any problems.
And I'm going to fly at this moment, Voltage on TX 7.4V and is currently 0 degree Celsius ........+ Wind.....24 Km/hrs

Bye Gilles
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OrangeBird; Nov 11, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,470 Posts
Tail boom modification

The more I lightened my 9116 the greater it's tendency to drift to the right due to the tail motor thrust being below the plane of rotation of the main rotor blades. Eventually I ran out of swashplate adjustment and it would still drift right and I couldn't bank left at all. What I did to correct it was make a plastic vertical tail fin and mounted the tail motor so it's axis was 1 3/4" higher than stock. Now the swashplate is level and I can bank equally in both directions. Just thought I'd post this for anyone else out there that had the same problem.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Closed Thread