SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:16 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I'm using gorilla glue (for plastics) for permanent rebinding. If it's something like a piece over a tube you might want to get some plastic to wrap over the break to give it more strength. I'm using the gorilla glue to permanently mount a 808#9 camera to a V929 and so far it's worked like a charm. I've also used it on skids, canopies, and other places I probably shouldn't mention.
Do you know if I can get that locally? Would Home Depot or Lowes carry it?
LatinP is offline Find More Posts by LatinP
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:24 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,475 Posts
I would think so. I bought mine at Canadian Tire.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:13 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,211 Posts
Repair products at Home Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinP View Post
The glue is suppose to dry in 20sec it's been 20 minutes and the stuff still won't stick! I'm thinking about just going to Home Depot and getting some of that 2 part epoxy meant for plastics and trying that, what do you guys think?
If you're going to Home Depot or Lowe's, you might as well pick up several sizes of heat shrink in the Electrical department. The smaller sizes come in handy for electrical repairs but the larger sizes can also can be used to bind any rod-like parts (lndg skids, etc). Some guys use liquid plastic too but I haven't tried that one yet. I've used the 3/8" size of heat shrink as a battery holder for V911s - perfect fit for those size batteries.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:49 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navycookie View Post
Ok I took it out one more time to figure out if I'm going crazy or not.. still spinning, but no the heli is losing binding in flight for a sec or two then picking it back up.(which is pretty scary) Since the transmitter came with a broken antenna case(antenna still good but its just a wire hanging out the top) and I've had had to superglue a knob back on (on deployed, use what I can). I ordered a transmitter for $7 and a 2x tail rotors for $5. I'll let yall know how this goes.
If the heli looses binding while flying for a second or two (due to vibrations), grab a soldering iron and retouch the crystal connections (silver "Can" on the smaller board) and the connections to the main PCB - they are bad soldered in most cases - especially with newer builds)
- mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:52 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,332 Posts
Need Help!

Dear friends of a 9116!

Due to the every same questions I decided to start a new project - the
"9116 Troubleshooting" manual.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750650
Please feel free to contribute as good and as many as you can - you may even scan the hundreds of posts here to distill useful information, pics, vids etc.+
Thanks in advance
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:36 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Well, I'm pissed to say the least. Just installed my Pro 180 motor and after about 6 flights I had it tuned perfectly. Was flying like a dream. I just had it out and it was a little windy but not too bad. Had it well above the roof line when I'm guessing the swash separated. No control, it just hovered. Lost sight of it over the house so I goosed it and ran to the front yard......... No sign of it anywhere. Didn't see it in the sky anywhere and it's no where to be found on the ground. I even grabbed an extension ladder and walked the roof (I don't like doing that so you know I really wanted to find it.) So.... that basically sucks. And I just dropped the new motor and battery in. I also have another lipo on the way.
Budasac is offline Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:26 PM
ZaZ
United States, AR, Fayetteville
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Dear friends of a 9116!

Due to the every same questions I decided to start a new project - the
"9116 Troubleshooting" manual.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750650
Please feel free to contribute as good and as many as you can - you may even scan the hundreds of posts here to distill useful information, pics, vids etc.+
Thanks in advance
-mike-
Thanks a lot Mike, this should be a big help to someone like me who plans on needing a lot of help repairing my DH9116.
ZaZ is offline Find More Posts by ZaZ
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:43 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Well, I'm pissed to say the least. Just installed my Pro 180 motor and after about 6 flights I had it tuned perfectly. Was flying like a dream. I just had it out and it was a little windy but not too bad. Had it well above the roof line when I'm guessing the swash separated. No control, it just hovered. Lost sight of it over the house so I goosed it and ran to the front yard......... No sign of it anywhere. Didn't see it in the sky anywhere and it's no where to be found on the ground. I even grabbed an extension ladder and walked the roof (I don't like doing that so you know I really wanted to find it.) So.... that basically sucks. And I just dropped the new motor and battery in. I also have another lipo on the way.
I had the same thing happen to me earlier this week...same emotions. After looking for it in the woods for nearly 30 minutes I walked out into the field & just for the heck of it I throttled my for a second & I though I heard something so I did it a few more times and there it was about 50 yards in the field. I say all that to say this, as the Heli gets further away from you your perspective of where its at becomes exaggerated/skewed. Go out there again and start looking closer than you think it is........I bet you find it.
ironhorse99 is offline Find More Posts by ironhorse99
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:55 PM
ZaZ
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Wind died down enough this evening to get out and give my new DH9116 a second try. The thing would not stop spinning clockwise no matter how much trim I applied. Crashed several times and put the flybar through the canopy twice. So the canopy is pretty much trash and flybar was bent so I just straightened it out. But everything else seems to work if I can get it to stop spinning. I saw the Swashplate to Servo Arm Adjustable Linkage by Stormforce. I am guessing that this is what I need to do? I am new to this and not sure how hard this would be to do. I was hoping to be able to just change some setting on the controller.

Doug
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
mikefromgermany,

Just checking in after a long absence. You're still here. It appears you have become the resident expert on the 9116. Do you have plans to move to CP heli's in the future and leave the 9116 behind?
J_skaggs is online now Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:57 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
mikefromgermany,

Just checking in after a long absence. You're still here. It appears you have become the resident expert on the 9116. Do you have plans to move to CP heli's in the future and leave the 9116 behind?
J_skaggs nice to hear from you.
I'm actually moving on - a MCPX BNF sitting on the shelf, waiting for parts flashing my TH9X ( the DSMX-Module for it is ready so far).
Bigger CP's are on the schedule 2014, I'm still learning by using micro-quads as the next step - better movement authority, much quicker reactions to stick input and a great opportunity to get an "automated orientation sense" so you don't have to think about flying whatever direction the bird is heading, just doin' it .
I don't fly my 9116ies and all the other FP 4CH much any more, but because I've infected my whole neighbourhood with this addiction ( sold a few 9116 to them after having 9 of these and missus complained a little.... ) I still have a 9116 on my workbench for repair sometimes.
Here's the place to pay my debt receiving so much help as a beginner from Mick and other early 9116 users.
So I started to build the

Double Horse 9116 Troubleshooting Manual

for all beginners who could not be talked off to buy a 9116 as a starting model and now are facing the bad sides of this bird.

-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:16 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaZ View Post
Wind died down enough this evening to get out and give my new DH9116 a second try. The thing would not stop spinning clockwise no matter how much trim I applied. Crashed several times and put the flybar through the canopy twice. So the canopy is pretty much trash and flybar was bent so I just straightened it out. But everything else seems to work if I can get it to stop spinning. I saw the Swashplate to Servo Arm Adjustable Linkage by Stormforce. I am guessing that this is what I need to do? I am new to this and not sure how hard this would be to do. I was hoping to be able to just change some setting on the controller.

Doug
Hello Dough!
If the flybar has went through the canopy it could have hit the gyro - do the gyro test you'll find there:
If the test proves the gyro still is working
you can try to reset the TX to factory (stormforce's tech-manual) and set the rudder subtrim in the TX to small negative numbers.
You should dial the bird in according to Stormforce's manual - but the rudder has to work first
Did the bird ever work right or is this behaviour right out of the box? If rootb:
I had one TX with a bridged solder point at the AIL-stick board there was constant max stick input applied - maybe there's something similar at your rudder-stick - unscrew the TX and check for it.

-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Oct 21, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:03 AM
ZaZ
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Hello Dough!
If the flybar has went through the canopy it could have hit the gyro - do the gyro test you'll find there:
If the test proves the gyro still is working
you can try to reset the TX to factory (stormforce's tech-manual) and set the rudder subtrim in the TX to small negative numbers.
You should dial the bird in according to Stormforce's manual - but the rudder has to work first
Did the bird ever work right or is this behaviour right out of the box? If rootb:
I had one TX with a bridged solder point at the AIL-stick board there was constant max stick input applied - maybe there's something similar at your rudder-stick - unscrew the TX and check for it.

-mike-
Hello Mike

Yes I had flown it once before and it did not have the spinning in circles problem. But I did crash it several times, so who knows what I may have damaged. I will try the stuff you suggested. Thanks for the info.

Doug
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
Hey mike from germany ,I think that its very cool that you have added your own experience and insight to this thread,between you ,Mick and many other contributers this has become a great learner heli for so many I am really amazed that this particular heli has become almost a (must have) as an intro to 4ch helis and I for one can say that without you guys I would never have had the confidence to take the next step to flybarless 4ch helis and my new experimentation with 6 ch CP kits and(Im still a newbie) continuing on with this addictive hobby.The 9116 gave me the experience to now not be afraid to tear something apart and rebuild ,but also to create a whole new bird!My hats off to you and every body that has a passion to fly and spread the word "Heli Crack Does Not Kill,It Just Pisses Off The Wife" Thanks Again All Of You Out There Steve
roadglidec is offline Find More Posts by roadglidec
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:42 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
J_skaggs nice to hear from you.
I'm actually moving on - a MCPX BNF sitting on the shelf, waiting for parts flashing my TH9X ( the DSMX-Module for it is ready so far).
Bigger CP's are on the schedule 2014, I'm still learning by using micro-quads as the next step - better movement authority, much quicker reactions to stick input and a great opportunity to get an "automated orientation sense" so you don't have to think about flying whatever direction the bird is heading, just doin' it .
I don't fly my 9116ies and all the other FP 4CH much any more, but because I've infected my whole neighbourhood with this addiction ( sold a few 9116 to them after having 9 of these and missus complained a little.... ) I still have a 9116 on my workbench for repair sometimes.
Here's the place to pay my debt receiving so much help as a beginner from Mick and other early 9116 users.
So I started to build the

for all beginners who could not be talked off to buy a 9116 as a starting model and now are facing the bad sides of this bird.

-mike-
The mCPX is a great heli. I learned CP on one and have moved up to the 450X.

Good of you to leave a trouble shooting manual behind when you leave. Between you, Mick and others, 9116 newbies will have all the info they need to get the most from the 9116.
J_skaggs is online now Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Closed Thread