SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBird View Post
As said ROADGLIDEC, when you have a DH9116 and if you want flight time, you need spare parts. This is not a boat or a car. The DH9100 is the best for spare parts.

Bye Gilles
well I have no idea what a boat or car has to do with this topic but when i have hangar time with my other birds I always have some version of my 9116 to fly ,luckily that I have kept all those parts in my heli-parts bin and I have to say I sometimes push this heli a little to hard ,,but I usually can have my 9116 back in the air within 10-20 min.! Its just so easy to fix
roadglidec is offline Find More Posts by roadglidec
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaZ View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post here at rcgroups. I am new to the hobby and decided to purchase the DH9116 after reading posts on this thread. My only other experience is with the Syma s107. Received my DH9116 today and have a problem right out of the box. When charging battery the green light did not flash and after about 45 minutes it never came on. Decided to give it a try and it seemed to work just fine. It flew for approx. 10 min. most of the time on the ground after a crash. Let the batteries cool down and then tried charging again. This time still no green light at all. Flying time less than one minute. My question is - does the charger green light blink if the battery is bad? Or do I have a bad charger? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Doug
Hello, and welcome! You'll find very knowledgeable people on this forum that can pretty much help walk you through any problem you have with your helicopter. I've learned a lot about the hobby since joining last month. Everyone shares the same passion for flying that you do, and thats what makes it great.

Congratulations on your purchase of the DH 9116. It's a great helicopter and hopefully should serve you well... I absolutely love mine. I'm sorry you're having a problem.

To answer your question about charging. When the battery is charging, the green light on your charger is supposed to be blinking. That green light turns solid when the battery is fully charged.

My guess is that your problem lies within your charger box. It may be defective. I would either purchase a new charger on ebay for about $6 bucks (shipped from China), or just exchange the whole helicopter for another one.

Some advice about charging your battery. After flying, you should allow 20-30 minutes before charging for the battery to cool off or you could damage it. For the sake of good practice, I usually wait 30 minutes after its fully charged before I fly it again.

Just a word of advice on 9116 ownership. Start building up your supply of spare parts to ensure maximum airtime with your new helicopter. My biggest recommendation would be to purchase a spare tail motor or two, as its pretty much inevitable that your tail motor will fail one day. I have one in the mail already just in case, and I've only had my 9116 for a little more than a week. On top of that, I've also bought a spare canopy and a set of spare parts just to have on hand for my 9116 in the event something breaks...
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:13 PM
ZaZ
United States, AR, Fayetteville
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Thanks HuskySpade, that is the way I way leaning since the battery seemed to have a full charge out of the box. I already have ordered some spare parts, battery, blades, etc. but have not yet arrived. Once the new battery is here I will know for sure if it is the charger. Will have to order a canopy as I cracked mine on my first flight. Decided to crash into the ground instead of the side of the house. I don't think the ground was much softer.

Doug
ZaZ is offline Find More Posts by ZaZ
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:39 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Thanks HuskySpade, that is the way I way leaning since the battery seemed to have a full charge out of the box. I already have ordered some spare parts, battery, blades, etc. but have not yet arrived. Once the new battery is here I will know for sure if it is the charger. Will have to order a canopy as I cracked mine on my first flight. Decided to crash into the ground instead of the side of the house. I don't think the ground was much softer.

Doug
Do yourself a favour and buy a decent third party charger.
It will be the best invested money in the whole hobby.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:49 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:

Doug
Hi ZaZ,
Welcome to the thread.

Now about your charger.
When you conect the 2S conecter to the battery make sure it is pluged in all the way as these chargers do have a fault with the size of the plug on the charger due to haveing small plastic slag in the plug itself.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:05 AM
United States, PA, Airville
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts
usually if the battery is way low,(on the stock charger) less than 1v per cell it will blink a trouble code and then shut off. Now if its doing this out of the box, the cells have dropped way below the cut off and it may be hard to get it back.

An unorthodox method i use sometimes (not recommended, but 50% chance it works) would be to "boost" the battery with a charging adapter of some sort (any household charger around 5-8v DC will work) The reason for this is to "boost" the batterys above the cutoff voltage so it tricks stock 2s charger to start charging.im sure someone will chime in with the dangers of doing this, but keep an eye on it and youll be fine. (make sure its not getting hot, or charging way over 8v)

The stock charger has its ups and downs, ive modified a few to suit different jobs around my battery shop (higher imput/output amps,cooling fans etc) but when it comes down to it, you might want to invest in a fairly decent balance charger.

for around 20-30 bucks shipped you can get an imax b6 and youll be in good shape to charge anything from lead-acid (Pb) to higher output Lilo/po/Fe cells.
(not sure if im allowed to link you) hint hint amazon

and with all the flack the blue 650mah packs get, i think they are actualy a fairly good output to weight ratio in comparison to other lilo cells. and charging them with a decent balance charger actualy seems to help them alot.

ive had a few that eventualy have degraded in output and thought there was no return. but with a few balance/discharge sessions ive noticed some to come back to life.

but yea heres some steps that i use for quick and easy fix if you wana bring the cells in action.

1. charge battery above cutoff threshold with another charger (3-8v) for about 5-10 minutes. (at least 2-3v per cell)

2. plug in the stock 2s charger and then plug in the battery. (quickly)

3. if it blinks 5-6 times then shuts off repeat steps 1 and 2

4. if all else fails you can always use the bad batterys for some low amp application like a diy flashlight or something. and 800mah or so lipos are less than 20 bucks

btw its highly recomended to invest in a multimeter or some sort of li-xx quick tester.and once again, dont leave batteries unattended as they can pose a fire risk
bonzailyte is offline Find More Posts by bonzailyte
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
I took the 9116 out today and flew it a little bit. Unfortunately, the wind got the best of me and I crashed a couple times. Now my 9116 has a vibration.

I did notice however that the balance bar is bent slightly. Would that be the cause?

EDIT: Is there an easy way to remove the balance bar? I do have a replacement, Im just concerned about breaking the head.

EDIT 2: I did my best to bend the balance bar as straight as possible. After spinning up, I noticed the vibration was mostly gone!
Last edited by HuskySpade; Oct 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
ZaZ
United States, AR, Fayetteville
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Thanks Whizgig, yes I saw posts about the plug not fitting and I have forced the plug as hard as possible into the charger and no luck.

Thanks bonzailyte, nope the green light on the charger has never come on at all. And yes I do plan on buying a good charger. Looks like a must if you are going to take this hobby seriously. And I have checked the voltage on the drained battery and it was 3.5 volts. I do not know if this is good or bad?

I purchased my DH9116 at Amazon so I called them last night and they refunded me the money for the price of a new DH9116 charger plus shipping. Can't beat that!

Doug
ZaZ is offline Find More Posts by ZaZ
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
Hi guys, new to the forums as you can see. I just bought my first helli the 9116 and the first thing I wanted to do when I got it this morning after reading countless reviews and youtube videos was replace the battery.

I bought a good lipo battery from a local RC shop but I can't seem to figure out how to take the canopy off and I don't want to put too much force and break it can anyone help me I've never really held a helicopter before. I tried to take it off but it seems to be held by 2 plastic pieces that are in there pretty tight.

Any suggestions? Sorry for sounding like a noob.
LatinP is offline Find More Posts by LatinP
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:00 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinP View Post
Hi guys, new to the forums as you can see. I just bought my first helli the 9116 and the first thing I wanted to do when I got it this morning after reading countless reviews and youtube videos was replace the battery.

I bought a good lipo battery from a local RC shop but I can't seem to figure out how to take the canopy off and I don't want to put too much force and break it can anyone help me I've never really held a helicopter before. I tried to take it off but it seems to be held by 2 plastic pieces that are in there pretty tight.

Any suggestions? Sorry for sounding like a noob.
There's a small screw on the bottom you have to unscrew first.
The you can pull the canopy off the two stems on the upper side - but apply constant pull, no wiggling
hey, and we all were bloody beginner !
Keep asking questions and you'll learn. (and have a lot of fun, too)
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
There's a small screw on the bottom you have to unscrew first.
The you can pull the canopy off the two stems on the upper side - but apply constant pull, no wiggling
hey, and we all were bloody beginner !
Keep asking questions and you'll learn. (and have a lot of fun, too)
-mike-
Thanks Mike, after taking off the screw and pushing the canopy forward a bit while applying outward pressure I had less trouble, thanks again man, taking her outside when my son gets home from school hopeful I don't crash it!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:39 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinP View Post
Thanks Mike, after taking off the screw and pushing the canopy forward a bit while applying outward pressure I had less trouble, thanks again man, taking her outside when my son gets home from school hopeful I don't crash it!
Don't worry, you will....
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Don't worry, you will....
-mike-
Yup. You will...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
Ok so I'm back and guess what not a single crash! Even did a inverted flip

I'm just kidding!

Who am I joking it took a fall from about 100 ft up in the air through some trees and smacked on it's side into the grass. Now I have repair to do, the tail motor is hanging off by the 2 wires that attach to it.

I took it to my RC hobby store they said I could use this tire glue that is suppose to be good with vibration and guess what?

The glue is suppose to dry in 20sec it's been 20 minutes and the stuff still won't stick! I'm thinking about just going to Home Depot and getting some of that 2 part epoxy meant for plastics and trying that, what do you guys think?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,501 Posts
I'm using gorilla glue (for plastics) for permanent rebinding. If it's something like a piece over a tube you might want to get some plastic to wrap over the break to give it more strength. I'm using the gorilla glue to permanently mount a 808#9 camera to a V929 and so far it's worked like a charm. I've also used it on skids, canopies, and other places I probably shouldn't mention.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread