Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:44 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
+1
I didn't like quads at all (first). Now I've got one for 2 weeks and must admit Balr14 is absolutely right. They may be ugly in my eyes (and they still are) but the one HAS tought me more in two weeks than the whole bunch of beginners FP-4CH stuff.
It helped me to fly better with the 4CH-birds I own already, too.
-mike-
Thank you. Consider this: they are extremely stable when you want them to be, but they are capable of performance that far exceeds what any FP heli can do. They respond faster than any CP heli and have more movement authority, because they have no moving parts. There's damn little to break except cheap rotor blades. They don't like to turn, so you must learn the disciplines needed for good turns, which apply to any heli.

If you master a quad well, you are not going to have any trouble transitioning to today's flybarless CP helis or anything else. The only other helis you can say that about are the Hiller head 300 size FP helis i mentioned already (HBFP, UFly, Falcon 40). But they are hard to find, difficult to get parts for and very difficult to fly because they have very slow and mushy response and love to roll.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:42 AM
Too Old To Die:
United States, TX, Call
Joined Mar 2012
93 Posts
Thanks guy's for the info. used digital voltage meter. New battery fully charged at 8.41v, older battery that came with heli read 7.43v, the same charge it had when heli went down.Put oil on shaft at brass bushing.Left heli hanging upside down to make sure oil seep in.I always wait ten min before and after a charge.Staying with the stock motor and battery sounds good. Will test flight in the morning, If same problem I will order a stock motor .Thanks again guys.
OldSpool is offline Find More Posts by OldSpool
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:45 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
I have been doing some reserch about this question, where do we go from here to get to CP's ect??

IMO this would be a good starting point.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150811268...84.m1423.l2649

There is the FB version and the FBL version and even one that comes with a 2gig camera.

They are very stable with 3 axis Gyro and they fly out of the box and cheap parts ect.

Or for the more advanced flyers you can go to this.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WASP-V4-B...item231f14b783
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Last edited by Whizgig; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:13 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,479 Posts
I am removing my post about SkyArtec. I have issues with their transmitter compatibility with Windows Vista and 7 that were never satisfactorily resolved. In my opinion, their upgrades prices are extremely high.
Last edited by Balr14; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:10 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I am removing my post about SkyArtec. I have issues with their transmitter compatibility with Windows Vista and 7 that were never satisfactorily resolved. In my opinion, their upgrades prices are extremely high.
UPDATE See my full response to this posting later in this list --
We have been supplying and supporting the Skyartec Products for 5 years. Sold thousands of the helicopters and most buyers are more than satisfied with the product. Computer to Radio compatablity issues have been resolved with the last 2 versions of the Radio (sky 705 and sky 706), even with the latest versions of Windows and newer hardware. Parts are not expensive for the most part and the latest versions of the X3 and X3V have received rave reviews and feedback. We do agree that any RC Helicopter is a precision model. That is why we setup and test fly and stand behind every Skyartec Helicopter we sell.

Look here for the stellar reviews here on RC Groups on both the X3 and X3V

RCGroups Skyartec X3 Review

RCGroups Skyartec X3V Review

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Parkflying; Sep 12, 2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,479 Posts
Removed at SkyArtec's request.
Last edited by Balr14; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,757 Posts
Quote:
The V400D02 is crap. You will have to replace just about everything on it. It needs better servos, gyro, motors, frame and head components. That doesn't leave much. A 9116 is not much experience for any CP heli.
I have to disagree. It is a good heli for the $145.00 or less you have to pay.
I have one and it is so easy to fly once set up properly.
The only problem is everyone wants it to be as durable and perform like a $400.00 heli. It won't. Many modify it to do so at considerable cost and that is their perogative. As you said, many component break when you crash, but with the proper learning curve, you can reduce that possibility. I think it is comparable to the Blade SR which may not be the best heli, but is suitable for the target market, the beginner to CP flying. The new Walkera Master CP is another entry level heli that is a good buy, but again, no perfect. The servos are not that great. But you get what you pay for.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
9116 trouble climbing

My 9116 has been having trouble climbing lately. I use 900 mah batteries in it, but they don't seem much heavier than the stock battery. Usually when coming down from high altitude and then trying to climb back up it has a really hard time and/or bounces on the floor, but i guess that is due to the weight of the helicopter. But today at first with two different batteries, the heli just did not want to get higher than a foot or so. After a minute or trying and pushing the throttle at maximum, it finally started climbing again.

Does this mean the main motor is dying?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Max
mkipness is offline Find More Posts by mkipness
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,483 Posts
That'd be my guess. I had the main motor go in my F45 recently. It started acting weird then twitched and then suddenly I couldn't get more than 2 feet off the ground.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:10 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
590 Posts
Hi
After your description, this is probably your motor causing this problem!
Bye Gilles
OrangeBird is online now Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
979 Posts
Quote:
The Sky 703 Transmitter, developed in R&D almost 4 years ago and released to the public 3 years ago used state of the art SiLabs USB to UART Bridge Chip. The Device Driver was certified by SiLabs and Microsoft HCL Labs. The driver would work on all Windows Operating Systems at the time of release. That being Windows XP, Vista (short lived) and Windows 7 - 32 bit . I know because I authored a custom Skyartec Program installer for my market and have worked extensively with this SiLabs Chip for other OEMs (in and out of the RC Market). Computer Experts agree that prior installed hardware and software (especially hardware drivers NOT on the MS HCL) can cause conflicts with other hardware, new and old added to the system. Additionally, it was almost a year later before SiLabs released a 64 bit driver for the SiLabs USB to UART Chip. However this device driver would not work on many newer 64 bit computers because is was designed for hardware that was becoming obsolete quickly. Thus we recommended the software only be used on Windows 32 bit platforms. Computer Hardware Technology changes faster than anyone of us can keep up with. During this time period, newer computers being sold started to all use 64 bit hardware and 64 bit operating Systems.

Skyartec responded with the Sky705 that used a different chip set for the USB to UART Bridge (USB to Virtual Comm Port). This chip set uses a device driver native to both Windows XP and Windows 7 in both 32 and 64 bit versions. (native meaning it is part of the block of preinstalled mini drivers already in the OS-or is automatically downloaded during hardware install) We have only seen a handful of issues, mostly from previously installed game controllers that captured the default Comm Port Value; a simple change in the properties of either of the device drivers would allow the programs and devices to run together properly.

Most newer computers do not have Serial Comm Port Hardware. That is why, for example, the freeware flight simulator FMS does not work properly on many of the newer Windows Computers. We have overcome that issue with a limited agreement with the author of Clearview Flight Simulator Program.

A newer version of the Skyartec Transmitter being used is the Sky 706. This Transmitter has flash upgradeable firmware on the board; thus allowing us to upgrade the Sky706 to the V version for the FBL helicopters.

Although we cannot normally offer computer and software support, we will contact Blair offline to try to help him resolve his hardware to computer issues if there is still an interest by him to do so.

However, to make a blanket statement that implies that Skyartec has not resolved compatibility issues is irresponsible and not factual. The correct statement would be that Blair has not been able to resolve his compatibility issues with his version of the software, hardware, Skyartec Transmitter and HIS computer.

About the cost of Skyartec Parts: Skyartec replacement parts are reasonably priced. Skyartec Parts, in many cases, are priced similarly to replacement parts from other helicopter factories. Blair's premise that all the parts are expensive, based on his example of the upgrade parts prices is not valid.

Skyartec offers a metal head upgrade kit that contains all the parts to upgrade a Wasp V3 to the Wasp V4 metal head. This is offered as a upgrade kit. The street price is about $60. The example Blair used previously was for the metal, belt driven tail assembly. This assembly requires 3 different part sets. These parts are sold as replacement, repair parts and are not an upgrade kit. The total cost of these 3 sets to replace a plastic belt driven tail on a WASP V3 to all metal tail assembly is almost $79. Total cost to upgrade a V3 to a V4 is about $140. The street price for a RTF WASP V3 is about $160 - total outlay is $300, BUT you still own all the parts from the original V3. (plastic head and tail).
The street price for a all factory built RTF metal Wasp Belt 250 V4 is about $280.

Blair's premise is not valid; with his premise, you could go to the parts counter at your Auto Dealership and buy all the parts to make a new car for less money than you could buy the same car, factory built. As in most industries, the sum total cost of the parts, purchased individually is NOT less than the cost of the assembled product. The cost of the parts, is the cost. (personally I have been flying the same Wasp V3, in the original, factory plastic form, for over 3 years at flying demos and trade shows). I usually strongly recommend that a buyer carefully consider the metal tail upgrade; I personally would never do it. I do often recommend the metal upgrade for the head.

Skyartec over the last years, with lessons learned, has changed the type of plastic used on many of their parts, so that they are more flexible and less brittle. We used to sell a ton (literally hundreds and hundreds) of the head part called the pitch frame. The little balls used for the ball links would break very easily; now I can't tell you the last time we sold this part. - BTW it is still used in all of the WASP V3 and V4 Plastic Head Helicopters.

With that in mind, Skyartec's new X3v FBL helicopter has a nice combination of metal and plastic parts for head and the tail that we have found to be very easy and less costly to repair.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Parkflying; Sep 12, 2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,248 Posts
Main motor dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkipness View Post
My 9116 has been having trouble climbing lately. I use 900 mah batteries in it, but they don't seem much heavier than the stock battery. Usually when coming down from high altitude and then trying to climb back up it has a really hard time and/or bounces on the floor, but i guess that is due to the weight of the helicopter. But today at first with two different batteries, the heli just did not want to get higher than a foot or so. After a minute or trying and pushing the throttle at maximum, it finally started climbing again.

Does this mean the main motor is dying?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
That'd be my guess. I had the main motor go in my F45 recently. It started acting weird then twitched and then suddenly I couldn't get more than 2 feet off the ground.
I had the same symptoms on 1 of mine. It was the 1 that has only 24 or so flights on it. It was out of action for a PCB which I replaced. I thought maybe the solder wasn't up to snuff but I replaced the engine with a new one and it did great. The time of flt went from 5 & 1/4 mins to about 8, and the battery went from quitting at 7.4 to 6.9Volts.

But I created another problem trying to trim it for more forward flight adjusting the servo links on its 2nd flt today. I didn't cut off the heli and now the aileron servo just makes noise. I don't know if I overloaded something on the PCB or stripped something inside the servo? I need help before I order a new PCB. This one only has about 20 flts. Thanks for any help out there.
Don
hifinsword is online now Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:54 PM
Australia, NSW, Armidale
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
new to 9116

Hi all i am new to single blade helis all the way from coax's so i thought a step up would be good . i decided the 9116 was a good cheaper investment to learn to fly 6ch on and so far have enjoyed flying it the problem i have now is that when i go to take of it wants to lean towards the right if i dont throttle up quick enough , so is this a common problem or have i damaged something as i had a bit of a prang the other day when then wind got hold of it at about 8 ft high into a brick wall an a drop on to concrete ( ouch ) also is there away of reseting the tx to default settings ? ? ( i have done a little reading on the forum but have of as yet to see anything ) thanks in advance for any insight to this problem
RC
RCMad39 is offline Find More Posts by RCMad39
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:58 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,483 Posts
I cant remember the servos atm, but if the arm screws on You could try taking off the arm, turn on the heli and let the servo go to the middle position, turn it back off then mount the arm back in the middle.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:24 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
I don't know if I overloaded something on the PCB or stripped something inside the servo?
Swap servo plugs on the PCB to test the servo and PCB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMad39 View Post
go to take of it wants to lean towards the right if i dont throttle up quick enough
Just get the DH9116 in the air quickly to get out of ground effect.. On a slow take-off, the helicopter will tilt over to the left (looking from the tail) and wants to scoot left when it goes light on the skids.

In the air, it will lean to the right.

All due to the tail rotor pushing the helicopter to the left.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Sep 11, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Closed Thread