HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
Bought a 9116 from Banana Hobby for $39 + $11 shipping. It's my first upgrade from Coax. Got 2 900mah batteries from ebay, unfortunately I got 15c instead of 20+. I wish I would have read more of this long thread prior but thats how it go's. I for one am interested in making all the adjustments suggested and am excited. I know all you guys have received many thanks but here is one more. Don't have the bucks for anything more expensive but keep my eye open for great deals. I believe from the suggestions here that rather then moding up the 9116 it best to just slowly acquire the mode for my eventual Align/clone. Once again thank you all for taking the time to post your experiences here.
NeilGerrard is offline Find More Posts by NeilGerrard
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:57 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,434 Posts
Have you tried your 15C batteries? I would guess you should be able to fly just fine with those. I have a 20C 900mah and it does seem a little snappier than the stock battery.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:59 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,434 Posts
Imax B6 - Is it normal for these (even my fake one) to have the screen go blank a little while after it finishes a charge? The charging seems fine, the LOUD beeps signal the end, then if I leave it awhile I go back and the screen is completely blank and the buttons don't do anything.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,462 Posts
I-max

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Imax B6 - Is it normal for these (even my fake one) to have the screen go blank a little while after it finishes a charge? The charging seems fine, the LOUD beeps signal the end, then if I leave it awhile I go back and the screen is completely blank and the buttons don't do anything.
I also have a fake one. When it's finished charging it flashes "FULL" and beeps. The screen doesn't go black and the buttons still work even if it's been awhile. Doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with yours. As I understand it there are different fakes out there.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:26 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilGerrard View Post
Bought a 9116 from Banana Hobby for $39 + $11 shipping. It's my first upgrade from Coax. Got 2 900mah batteries from ebay, unfortunately I got 15c instead of 20+. I wish I would have read more of this long thread prior but thats how it go's. I for one am interested in making all the adjustments suggested and am excited. I know all you guys have received many thanks but here is one more. Don't have the bucks for anything more expensive but keep my eye open for great deals. I believe from the suggestions here that rather then moding up the 9116 it best to just slowly acquire the mode for my eventual Align/clone. Once again thank you all for taking the time to post your experiences here.
Welcome aboard Neil. Wow, you got a great deal on your 9116!
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Have you tried your 15C batteries? I would guess you should be able to fly just fine with those. I have a 20C 900mah and it does seem a little snappier than the stock battery.
Haven't got them yet. Must be on the slow boat from China along with my spare rotors and main blades.
NeilGerrard is offline Find More Posts by NeilGerrard
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Some 9116 Mods

Hi All, First of all, many thanks again to Stormforce for helping when I got my 9116 all screwed up back in May!!! I have been flying and crashing it ever since. Now to the mods. The PC board seems good for several good crashes and then it dies. The two most common failures for me have been losing the receiver and losing tail rotor control (Tain rotor spins but tail spins one way with full throttle and the other with low throttle). My fix for both of these has been 5 minute epoxy. The loss of receiver seems to be one of the wires attaching the crystal breaking and the loss of tail control seems to be the little can on the gyro board vibrating loose. Every time a replace a board now, I epoxy the can for the crystal to the board (pretty heavily) and I slide the little piece of shrink tube off the gyro board and epoxy the can to the board and slide the shrink tube back on. This seems to have eliminated those failures with no other ill effects. The other mod seems to result in more crashes and more spectacular crashes, but is still fun!!! I cut off the balance bar weights with a dremel and added the flybar weights from a Trex 450 (my other addiction). These weights are much smaller and make the 9116 MUCH more responsive, perhaps tooo responsive, but it's fun to fly and goes really fast in all directions. Don't get it headed at the ground toooo fast as the motor doesn't have enough power to pull it out quickly and you can end up having the landing skid split the canopy about an inch back! Ouch!!!

Also, more of an FYI, I have gotten a bunch of motors recently that appear to have the timing for the brushes screwed up. They seem to work normally while they are working, but the brushes disappear after about 14 flights and if you don't catch it, you can burn up the MosFet for the main motor. Nothing you can do about this that I am aware of, but watch out and replace motors as necessary. It is always the brush attached to the red motor wire that goes first. The most recent motor I put in has 15 flights and the brushes look almost new, so it seems this one is a good one. Motors now, when I get down to 5 I order 5 more.

Happy flying, John
john1911 is offline Find More Posts by john1911
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:03 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,434 Posts
Stormforce is a valuable resource for sure!

I am going to epoxy my components as well. I have a bad PCB on my newest version but hopefully a replacement will love that.

I can't wait to see your fly bar mod. 14 flights per motor seems nuts though. I must be well past due on my first one. Now I'm going to check it out...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:44 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
545 Posts
Test

Bye
I made a test...
Hello, here is a protected propeller tail modified (add 1 CM protection) for DH9119 helico
Bye Gilles
OrangeBird is offline Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:51 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
545 Posts
Two holes

Hi
For easy access to the main engine 2 screws, make 2 holes in the DH9116 and easy change main motor
Bye Gilles
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:14 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
545 Posts
Blind

Hi
For those who fly at night, I added a piece of paper under the white LED with Scotch tape, because I blinded. With this sticky white sheet of paper, I'm not blind and it is great ....
Bye Gilles
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:16 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
545 Posts
Blind

The photo of white paper......
Bye Gilles
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
I know you get what you pay for, when it comes to the 9116 but I had another servo go out on me today. The first one quit after the second flight the replacement was DOA and today the other side went out.
This issue along with bad PCB causing intermittent failures is really bringing me down. Seems I spend more time waiting for replacement parts in the mail than anything else. Thinking about an blade sr120 or even a mcpx. Supported by my LHS.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I got it, just complaining to you guys because I can!
Gator3434 is offline Find More Posts by Gator3434
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Couple more comments

Hi All, First of all, for Orange Bird, I forgot to mention that I too drilled holes in the bottom plate to access the motor screws. Great Idea!!!

For Gator3434 - The 9116 is a great machine for what it is, but the Chinese QC is CRAP!!!! Having said that, how they can develop, produce and ship a PC board to the us and sell it for $15 is beyond my imagination. You will get some bad parts (I threw away two new servos today that I hadn't tested and they were crap) so just live with that or buy Blade. I have a Blade MCX2. It is fun for inside the house or motorhome, but it's really pricy for something that fits in the palm of your hand. On the other hand I haven't had any bad Blade parts for either the MCX2 or the Blade 450, they are just *way* more expensive. I have several Trex 450 clones and they too are great, but you have to be prepared for parts that are just Crap!!! All in all, most of the Double Horse or Trex clone parts I have gotten are fine and overall I still spent way less than I would have for an actual Blade or Align products but you just have to be prepared to tweak or throw away parts that should have never gotten past any QC inspector. Guess you just can't have it all. Local availability and great QC come at a price. I just ordered another PCB and 3 servos for the 9116 today.

For the old timers....... I know the DH9117 is the new kid on the block, but it seems like there aren't as many sources for the 9116 parts as there have been and it seems like Banana Hobby is getting out of the 9116 and not selling the 9117. Question is, do you think DH will discontinue the 9116 soon and stop making parts???? I have a pretty good stockpile, but........... Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Happy Flying, John
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
DH 9116 Parts

Hi All, I alluded to it in my last post, but I think Banana Hobby is getting out ot the DH business, hence selling their remaining stock of new 9116's for 40 bucks. Egrandmart, normally a Chinese seller, is selling a bunch of 9116 parts that are shipping from Gardena, CA. for Chinese prices delivered. As I mentioned in my last post, I just ordered 3 servos and a PCB from Egrandmart with shipping from Gardena. If you like the 9116 and can afford it, it might be a good investment to snag some of the US stock, assuming you are not one of the Australia contingent..... Happy Flying, John
Closed Thread