SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,566 Posts
I got the weight of my 9116s down to less than 3/4's of a stock one. I got rid of the steel skids and used plastic, replaced the steel boom with a carbon arrow shaft, got rid of the horizontal stabilizer and decorative bars, made a vertical stabilizer out of plastic and made 20 gr. balance bar weights. I even drilled out the hollow pipe to lighten it. Now I'm making plastic side plates.With a 900 mah hour battery it's a whole different bird. And all the mods are reversible, but I would never go back to stock. I know some posters don't think the 9116 is worth working on. All I can say is try it.
Pa flyer is online now Find More Posts by Pa flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:59 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I have made similar mods, but also added a much lighter weight canopy from a coax, modified HBFP landing gear, direct drive tail motor and 32gr 500 mah battery. It's livelier, but did not overcome the shortcomings of the head design.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
I got the weight of my 9116s down to less than 3/4's of a stock one. I got rid of the steel skids and used plastic, replaced the steel boom with a carbon arrow shaft, got rid of the horizontal stabilizer and decorative bars, made a vertical stabilizer out of plastic and made 20 gr. balance bar weights. I even drilled out the hollow pipe to lighten it. Now I'm making plastic side plates.With a 900 mah hour battery it's a whole different bird. And all the mods are reversible, but I would never go back to stock. I know some posters don't think the 9116 is worth working on. All I can say is try it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I have made similar mods, but also added a much lighter weight canopy from a coax, modified HBFP landing gear, direct drive tail motor and 32gr 500 mah battery. It's livelier, but did not overcome the shortcomings of the head design.

those are some good ideas. I bet it performs well for what it is..
What canopy Size (130 200 ???) and again HOW DO I BIND MY NEW Receiver to the transmitter???
metalwizard is offline Find More Posts by metalwizard
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:19 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
United States, PA, Mt Pleasant
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Have been flying the heck out of my 9116. This bird is tough. Went out to fly today and it wont bind? Transmitter goes through its beep. Light on heli circuit board flashes fast then goes slow and thats it. No response from any stick inputs. Is the circiut board bad?
weav01 is offline Find More Posts by weav01
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:38 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard View Post
those are some good ideas. I bet it performs well for what it is..
What canopy Size (130 200 ???) and again HOW DO I BIND MY NEW Receiver to the transmitter???
No need to yell around.
If you would have used the search function (search this thread) you would have found it ages ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce
DH9116 Transmitter - Signal Code Bind

To re-establish the signal link between the helicopter and the transmitter by gaining access to the transmitters automatic signal code synchronisation mode (transmitter bind).

Make sure you plug in the battery to the heli first, but leave the switch off, make sure you keep the heli within very easy reach. Also make sure the throttle trim is set all the way down.

Hold the transmitter in your left hand, and hold down the throttle stick in the throttle off position, as far down as it can go with your thumb (without straining or breaking the stick).
With your other hand, switch on the transmitter, and then within the first 5 seconds, while the transmitter is still flashing and beeping, quickly switch on the heli.

A red LED inside the canopy will also flash quickly.

After 15 seconds, the red LED on the transmitter will stop flashing and it will stop beeping. Check to see if the red LED inside the heli's canopy has also stopped flashing and is now "solid" or not blinking, if so, the heli is now bound to the transmitter and you should hear both servos 'flutter" as they settle into the transmitters pre-set servo settings.

To double check to see if the heli is properly bound to the transmitter, hold the heli in the palm of your hand at arms length, and give the throttle stick a quick burst or throttle up, but still low enough so it doesn't shoot up out of your hands and hit the ceiling. If the heli spins up, all is good. If not, you'll have to go through the whole procedure again.

Last edited by stormforce; Jun 28, 2012 at 01:23 PM
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Aug 31, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:46 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weav01 View Post
Have been flying the heck out of my 9116. This bird is tough. Went out to fly today and it wont bind? Transmitter goes through its beep. Light on heli circuit board flashes fast then goes slow and thats it. No response from any stick inputs. Is the circiut board bad?
Check all soldered connections between the main PCB and the small Crystal board - they tend to loose some contact due to vibrations or hits - and resolder them.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Thanks so much for the info. I had it all "dorked" up when I had to replace the inner shaft and my wife accidentally threw away the manual.
Gator3434 is offline Find More Posts by Gator3434
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
No need to yell around.
If you would have used the search function (search this thread) you would have found it ages ago.

-mike-
Thanks Mike. I only said it big because I asked 3 times.. oh and I did do a search in this thread for "bind" and read every post , you notice the one you quoted does not say "bind" in it it says Re-establish... So I chose the wrong word to search for. computers are only as smart as the fool running them I guess..

Anyways thanks so much!

EDIT: I misspoke.. the first sentence has Bind in it.. so I don't know how I missed it..
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:10 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mike. I only said it big because I asked 3 times.
Binding - What have you tried so far?
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:49 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mike. I only said it big because I asked 3 times.. oh and I did do a search in this thread for "bind" and read every post , you notice the one you quoted does not say "bind" in it it says Re-establish... So I chose the wrong word to search for. computers are only as smart as the fool running them I guess..

Anyways thanks so much!

EDIT: I misspoke.. the first sentence has Bind in it.. so I don't know how I missed it..
Naa, nothing to worry about. Sometimes I sound too rude - sorry for that.
a little addition: Be sure your throttle is trimmed to neutral before trying to bind - I tried to bind one for ages... and finally found out... if trim of throttle is just high enough to activate the security-feature (Power-off when RX switched on with stick not down to zero) it will not bind.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:25 AM
My goal is fly more crash less
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Jul 2012
75 Posts
Thinking about adding a camera

Specifically, I've been eyeing this model because of what looks to me as a handy clip mount. The specs says it weights 50grams but that's likely just the camera.

http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_det...specifications

Anyone already give this a try?

Thanks
Obiorion is offline Find More Posts by Obiorion
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Naa, nothing to worry about. Sometimes I sound too rude - sorry for that.
a little addition: Be sure your throttle is trimmed to neutral before trying to bind - I tried to bind one for ages... and finally found out... if trim of throttle is just high enough to activate the security-feature (Power-off when RX switched on with stick not down to zero) it will not bind.
-mike-
Awesome Thanks Mike. I was hoping it would show friday but it did not.. bummer. So I went out and put more hover time on my Blade SR.. What a beast but hey 6 full batteries and no crashes.. WOO HOO. I jut love falling back on the 9116 its less work and more fun!
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:40 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiorion View Post
handy clip mount. The specs says it weights 50grams but that's likely just the camera.
MINI DV D005 camera weighs 25.54 grams, a lot of that is the LiPo battery and the camera's plastic case. Remove the plastic case and point the lens forward..

Clip mount weighs 5.93 grams. Guess it is the metal spring that makes it so heavy.

Spy camera
http://www.xheli.com/72p-52-voicecam.html
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Sep 04, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Anyone still in touch with Stormforce. He hasn't frequented this thread since July.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:50 PM
My goal is fly more crash less
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Jul 2012
75 Posts
Did I have an epiphany?

For months I've read the forums and watched model reviews. One of the more common phrases used has been "tail authority" and considered it to mean that the helicopter would respond to left stick inputs in a quick manner.

Today's flights on my 9116 were great even with the rain and repair interruptions. The longer session took my through two batteries and by the second I noticed a troubling behavior that became more pronounced as time went on.

Sudden throttle inputs also caused a quick heading change (I believe CW) that I had to rapidly correct. It may have been happening all along to some degree but the flight on the second battery included a change in location and tighter confines.

So was my initial assumption wrong and I was only now experiencing a lack of tail authority? If this continues does it mean I'm due for my first of perhaps many tail motor replacements? I have a tail assembly on hand just in case.

Just wondering if I should place a second on order with the other parts I replaced today. I've had several hard crashes, some at FFF with no real harm. Today I've replaced the fly bar and main shaft piece at the top.
Obiorion is offline Find More Posts by Obiorion
Closed Thread