Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:30 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,324 Posts
Xtreme motors and vendors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
You are wrong about the Xtreme 180 motor. It is what we call a "hot rewind". They love high rpms and low loading, or they will draw too many amps. People have been toasting boards for years using Xtreme motors in a manner that wasn't intended. Unless you geared it correctly and reworked or replaced blades, you are at risk.

As for warranty, get serious. I'm not surprised they were rude to you, I would be too. This isn't a toaster or TV set. It's a disposable toy and the odds are good you trashed it. You bought it because it's cheap.
I've got to put a plug in here for Miracle-Mart. I got an Xtreme motor (120SR) way back in early June. Just installed it last week and the dang thing runs CCW! Tried reversing the wires at the motor but still runs CCW. I wrote Miracle-Mart and they responded within a couple of days, asked for a picture (not sure why, doesn't show the problem). I sent the picture and they replied they would send me a new motor. Haven't received it yet but the response was over and above what I expected.
Don
hifinsword is online now Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:03 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
I've got to put a plug in here for Miracle-Mart. I got an Xtreme motor (120SR) way back in early June. Just installed it last week and the dang thing runs CCW! Tried reversing the wires at the motor but still runs CCW. I wrote Miracle-Mart and they responded within a couple of days, asked for a picture (not sure why, doesn't show the problem). I sent the picture and they replied they would send me a new motor. Haven't received it yet but the response was over and above what I expected.
Don
It was the same with me from my suplyer of my xtream 180 Pro motor I changed the Pinion gear and intaled it into my 9116 and it was way down on power and I got in touch with the supplyer and he said it was the bushins so he sent me a replacement motor and 2 lots of Silver bushins to see if that would fix it but it didn't so again that was one up for my supplyer and also one up for me.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
It was the same with me from my suplyer of my xtream 180 Pro motor I changed the Pinion gear and intaled it into my 9116 and it was way down on power and I got in touch with the supplyer and he said it was the bushins so he sent me a replacement motor and 2 lots of Silver bushins to see if that would fix it but it didn't so again that was one up for my supplyer and also one up for me.

So do you have any problems with your receiver since you put in the new motors??
metalwizard is offline Find More Posts by metalwizard
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:59 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard View Post
So do you have any problems with your receiver since you put in the new motors??
No I haven't ever had problems with the reciver after changing motors but I have had some problems with the TX and Heli not binding somtimes and I would have to turn them off and start them again as I have stated in this thread before but thats all.

I have tested many combinations of main and tail motors and I went back to the standard motor and tail unit because of the cost of the other motors ect and the postage costs to Austalia, and in the case of the Extream 180 pro motor cost around AU$30-40 it was better to buy a few stock motors and tail units etc.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
I would pass on this 9116 i went through 3 of them with board issues and 1 tail rotor motor smoking it could be a fluke but 3 no i dont think so double horse is a decent helicopter to start on i love my 9100 let me say though the parts are easy to get and very cheap as for price best of luck.
ayoung040 is offline Find More Posts by ayoung040
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:48 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoung040 View Post
I would pass on this 9116 i went through 3 of them with board issues and 1 tail rotor motor smoking it could be a fluke but 3 no i dont think so
Did you buy them all from the same vendor?

Wonder what happens to the factory rejects. Would be a good business to buy 100 DH9116's for $500, fix them, and sell them for $50 each.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post

Wonder what happens to the factory rejects. Would be a good business to buy 100 DH9116's for $500, fix them, and sell them for $50 each.

I would not be surprised if that is what you get on e-bay when you buy cheap parts. all the parts that got returned as a Defective helicopter. take out the good parts sell them cheap.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Can someone please post some pics for re assembling swash plate connector bars to the fly bar assembly? Took mine apart to fix a broken part and it just doesn't seem right.
Gator3434 is offline Find More Posts by Gator3434
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:34 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator3434 View Post
Can someone please post some pics for re assembling swash plate connector bars to the fly bar assembly? Took mine apart to fix a broken part and it just doesn't seem right.
At the top of this page is "Thread Tools" menu. Click on Show Attachments. Right click on photo and open new tab to enlarge.

Dogbones to Flybar photo
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5110063

9116 Manual per Whizgig
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=371

Rocker Arm photo of link pushed too far in on ball per livingword26
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...2020_53_05.jpg
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Aug 31, 2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:42 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator3434 View Post
Hi Mate the instructions come with an exploded parts listing for the heli you will find the parts and assembly of the swash plate in this parts guide
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:25 AM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
1,324 Posts
Xtreme 120SR main motor

Quote:
I'm still waiting for mine. They said it was in the mail.
Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:54 AM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
1,324 Posts
Defective DH 9116 bought on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post

Quote:
I would not be surprised if that is what you get on e-bay when you buy cheap parts. all the parts that got returned as a Defective helicopter. take out the good parts sell them cheap.
I got my first 9116 from eBay. Paid $61 plus $12 for shipping. The controller was defective. After a little prodding, the vendor sent a complete 9116 and controller. I only expected a controller but happy he sent the set. After a very gentle crash the first 9116 would bind but the aileron servo only goes completely down and stays there when the a/c power switch is turned on. I have had better luck with the 2nd bird and am awaiting a PCB I ordered 8/9 from BG to replace the broken one for bird 1. So I think the 9116 from eBay had a weak PCB and a defective controller.

The tail unit on the 2nd bird went out after a week of flying so I've also had to swap out the tail unit on the that bird and am now waiting for those parts ordered 8/19 from BG. A recent crash required more R&R from bird 1's control linkages and upper shaft but that was my fault. Now and then the tail seems to go out of control but I've read here a temp circuit may shut off power to either of the motors when the high temp circuit is tripped. It must reset itself too because I have been able to recover after 5-10 secs of spinning. Anyone else seen this or know more about the high temp feature?
Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:18 AM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
1,324 Posts
Shorter stiffer blades with Xtreme Pro 180 motor

Quote:
Look for Walkera CB180 blades and an outside chance of V200D01 blades working.
Thanks for the recommendation Balr14. It saved me a lot of time searching. I would have been lost trying to find anything that fit. The blades seem to help some but the real problem trying to get better performance is the weight of the helo. You just can't yank and bank something this heavy IMHO.

But I would like to get a little better handling and am thinking after MetalWizard's motor upgrade (Xtreme Pro 180) experience that a fast spinning motor with shortened blades might help. The shortened blades (5mm?) would keep the motor at its preferred speed, lessening the power draw on the PCB. I know it won't ever respond like my 120SR but maybe be a little more responsive than stock.

Anyone know which motor is better for the 9116, an "A" or "B" motor? I'm open to any ideas on shorter stiffer blades with an Xtreme Pro 180 motor?
Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:32 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I have had a number of people complain about the handling of the 9116 with frequent occurrences of "coax death dive" mentioned. Unfortunately, you aren't going to fix it. A combination of high weight, long vertical CoG (from top of mast to landing gear) and limited movement authority due to head design, dictate how this heli performs. It's performing as intended. Realistically, the 9116 and similar 45 offest flybar helis are $100 learning tools. They aren't meant to last a lifetime. You've learned everything they can teach you in 2 or 3 weeks.

In any case, the best way to improve handling is to use a smaller battery and mount it up higher, something around 400 mah taped to the front. And get rid of that heavy canopy.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
I have had a number of people complain about the handling of the 9116 with frequent occurrences of "coax death dive" mentioned. Unfortunately, you aren't going to fix it. A combination of high weight, long vertical CoG (from top of mast to landing gear) and limited movement authority due to head design, dictate how this heli performs. It's performing as intended. Realistically, the 9116 and similar 45 offest flybar helis are $100 learning tools. They aren't meant to last a lifetime. You've learned everything they can teach you in 2 or 3 weeks.

In any case, the best way to improve handling is to use a smaller battery and mount it up higher, something around 400 mah taped to the front. And get rid of that heavy canopy.
If you remove that much Weight from the front I imagine you will need to move you battery way forward to get the CG correct.

you might be able to get rid of some weight at the tail to help that.. maybe get rid of the struts and use something lighter for the tails skid.

When I get my new receiver board, How do I bind it to the transmitter?
Closed Thread