Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:02 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristram2k View Post
Is there a link in here to Stormforce's blog
Click on Stormforce's name on left of screen.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post22215151
---

DON'T add a heavier battery expecting longer flight time. Helicopter becomes sluggish, overheats motors, and in most cases shortens flight time. DH9116 thread suggests a 7.4vdc 900mAh "Akku" 20C Li-Po battery that weighs the same as the stock 650mah battery.

2x 7.4V 20C 900mAh LiPo 2S 7.4 Volt RC Akku Battery WF
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Aug 01, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:58 PM
United States, CA, Buena Park
Joined Jul 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Click on Stormforce's name on left of screen.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post22215151
---

DON'T add a heavier battery expecting longer flight time. Helicopter becomes sluggish, overheats motors, and in most cases shortens flight time. DH9116 thread suggests a 7.4vdc 900mAh "Akku" 20C Li-Po battery that weighs the same as the stock 650mah battery.

2x 7.4V 20C 900mAh LiPo 2S 7.4 Volt RC Akku Battery WF
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-7-4V-2...d=367152381870
hi Guys

I got from following link. it's coming from HK and already shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-7-4V-20C-...item2307ea4556

just in case need info.
Beginer56 is offline Find More Posts by Beginer56
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:11 PM
noob
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
conflicted

I guess I am a bit conflicted now.

I was looking forward to moving into my first fixed pitch chopper and was hearing that the 9116 was the best chopper in its class (especially for the $).

But after reading this and other posts I am beginning to think this is close, but not.
>> things need altered or adjusted to make it be what it should be from the manufacturer (out of the box).
>> some of the 9116's come out of the box even needing a little extra weight added to one side so it doesn't lean to one direction.

I want to get one, but then I wonder... if this is close, but not - is there another chopper - another brand, similar in characteristics, size, $, etc that is maybe a bit better out of the box ???

anyone ?
Tristram2k is offline Find More Posts by Tristram2k
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:47 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
I guess I am a bit conflicted now.

I was looking forward to moving into my first fixed pitch chopper and was hearing that the 9116 was the best chopper in its class (especially for the $).

But after reading this and other posts I am beginning to think this is close, but not.
>> things need altered or adjusted to make it be what it should be from the manufacturer (out of the box).
>> some of the 9116's come out of the box even needing a little extra weight added to one side so it doesn't lean to one direction.
This thread is from people who are perfectionists. They will always note imperfections, but they own and fly the DH9116 nonetheless.

A dedicated group. Judge how good this helicopter is by the number of posts.

The MJX F45 is also popular and similar, but larger.

These are a class of "toy" helicopters that are rugged, fly nice, easy inexpensive to repair, and will not injure the unknowing. The DH9116 has survived the test of time and so have the pilots.

Higher performance "hobby" class helicopters have a much higher rotor speed and one mistake is all it takes to make an ex-helicopter and ex-pilot.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Aug 01, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:53 PM
noob
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
This thread is from people who are perfectionists. They will always note imperfections, but they own and fly the DH9116 nonetheless.

Truly said. That is wisdom. Thanks.
Tristram2k is offline Find More Posts by Tristram2k
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:24 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,501 Posts
Quote:
I want to get one, but then I wonder... if this is close, but not - is there another chopper - another brand, similar in characteristics, size, $, etc that is maybe a bit better out of the box ???anyone ?
My opinion is that if you have not already started with a V911 - this is the best starting point for a 4ch FP helicopter. I love this little bird. Second, I would suggest the F45. It is bigger but in my fleet it is the most stable, most reliable, most fun and best built of them all. I like the DH9116. It is a blast to fly. Out of these 3 it is the hardest to maintain and fly.

Quote:
These are a class of "toy" helicopters that are rugged, fly nice, easy inexpensive to repair, and will not injure the unknowing. The DH9116 has survived the test of time and so have the pilots.

Higher performance "hobby" class helicopters have a much higher rotor speed and one mistake is all it takes to make an ex-helicopter and ex-pilot.
Well said!
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:09 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
I want to get one, but then I wonder... if this is close, but not - is there another chopper - another brand, similar in characteristics, size, $, etc that is maybe a bit better out of the box ???
The DH9116 is a direct copy of the Walkera CB180D, except for the tail drive and swashplate. They were changed to save costs. The CB180D has long since been replaced by the CB180Z which addressed the flaws found in the CB180D (and DH9116). It has a brushless motor, shaft drive tail and better response, although still pretty tame. It's a lot higher quality product. The CB180Z has since been replaced by the Walkera V200D01, which is a flybarless version of the CB180Z. It's a better performer with very quick response. It may be a bit much for a rank beginner, but it has a much broader performance range with fewer limitations.

If you don't mind something a little smaller than the 9116, the Blade 120SR is the preferred learning heli for most people, outside of Australia. It's very durable and reliable and has a very nice performance range.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:22 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,174 Posts
Quote:

The MJX F45 is also popular and similar, but larger.

So well said.
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:47 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jul 2012
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Imho two possibilities:

1. check for cold solder contacts between receiver board and main PCB-Board / maybe the crystal itself has a poor soldered pin (had it by myself with similar effect - solid/blinking LED)
2. malfunction of MOPS (built-in Auto-cutoff) (bridging the red wire loop with a short piece of copper wire on the backside of the PCB would help there - but there is a risk of frying the pcb sooner or later)
look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxEB0Yrskno

Anyway, the one way or another, the PCB is defective but repairable.

To solve your second problem: Throw the OEM-charger as hard as you can - far, far away. It seems to be defect - no need to try to repair. Buy a decent third party charger.

Solve all problems alltogether: Send it back to the vendor for exchange - double horse's quality control is mediocre at best - and hope to get a better one.

Mike
thanks Mike. I cant exchange it since I live in Canada and delivery cost 90 dollars to China. I bought it from toysworldexpress.com. thinking of getting a PCB or refund.
letsstart78 is offline Find More Posts by letsstart78
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:56 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The DH9116 is a direct copy of the Walkera CB180D, except for the tail drive and swashplate. They were changed to save costs. The CB180D has long since been replaced by the CB180Z which addressed the flaws found in the CB180D (and DH9116). It has a brushless motor, shaft drive tail and better response, although still pretty tame. It's a lot higher quality product. The CB180Z has since been replaced by the Walkera V200D01, which is a flybarless version of the CB180Z. It's a better performer with very quick response. It may be a bit much for a rank beginner, but it has a much broader performance range with fewer limitations.

If you don't mind something a little smaller than the 9116, the Blade 120SR is the preferred learning heli for most people, outside of Australia. It's very durable and reliable and has a very nice performance range.
I have 2 120SRs and 2 V911s. The 120 is a bit big to fly indoors and can be squirrely with the slightest changes but easy and cheap to repair. Seems like a change in humidity can make a good performing bird go crazy. The 911 is perfect for indoors and can handle some wind without any problem. And it's so stable in a hover. Get in trouble and just let go of the sticks. It's drawback is the main elec board. Unless you can solder teeny tiny wires, you won't be swapping out motors easily. But they're so cheap, you just buy a BNF to replace one. I just picked up 2 more RTFs for the g/kids and five 145mAh batts for $55.30 at aliexpress.com.
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:31 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
United States, PA, Mt Pleasant
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Just got my second 9116 in the mail after returning the first. When testing the servo function i pull back on the stick and the right servo moves significantly more than the left leaving the swash unlevel at the maximum stick. Then when moving the stick to the right the right servo doesnt drop nearly as much as the left one with corresponding left stick movement. Is this normal for this bird or is this another defective heli?
weav01 is online now Find More Posts by weav01
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:03 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weav01 View Post
Just got my second 9116 in the mail after returning the first. When testing the servo function i pull back on the stick and the right servo moves significantly more than the left leaving the swash unlevel at the maximum stick. Then when moving the stick to the right the right servo doesnt drop nearly as much as the left one with corresponding left stick movement. Is this normal for this bird or is this another defective heli?
That's pretty normal. How does it fly and hover.
If your hover is pretty stable, I would recommend just doing some hover practice with a little flying around until you get used to the Heli.
I think too many people are trying to change the Heli before they even have a chance to know what it should perform like. You need to get the feel of the Heli and be able to control it before you start making changes. Often times, the reason it does not do what you want it to is attributed to the new pilot.
My best advice is get it in the air, calm air, and practice controlling before you jump into making changes.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:09 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
I'm new to the DH 9116. Just got one in yesterday, charged it last night and took it outside for a flight this morning. Everything looked good at first, good steady hover right out of the box. NIce soft landing and then rotated the connecting rods for a slight forward drift hoping to get it moving a little faster forward. After that I noticed there was no aileron control. After controlling it down to a soft landing, I took off the canopy and checked all the connections, pulled the motor plugs and ran thru the aileron/elevator motions and the right link connector/servo doesn't move except when I push the elevator forward, and it moves up to compliment the left link connector/servo. The left servo moves both up and down with the elevator movements. So I checked the transmitter, made sure it's setup according to the tech manual I found here on Stormforce's blog. From the menu I can see there's intermittent aileron. Usually none but sometimes it gets stuck full right. During the setup of the tx, the menu items did not go to L or R when moving the stick. Anyone got a number to call service in the US? Or if I pull the tx cover will springs etc pop out never to be replaced where they came from? Any one seen this and if so, how to fix? Thanks in advance for any advice.
You can pull the cover off the rx and look. Nothing should jump out at you.
When you adjusted the servo links, did you have the Heli powered up. If so, you may have killed the servo by pulling against it when removing an adjusting the link, stripping the gears. These servos are not very tough and you need to turn off the power before adjusting.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:43 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
I have 2 120SRs and 2 V911s. The 120 is a bit big to fly indoors and can be squirrely with the slightest changes but easy and cheap to repair. Seems like a change in humidity can make a good performing bird go crazy. The 911 is perfect for indoors and can handle some wind without any problem. And it's so stable in a hover. Get in trouble and just let go of the sticks. It's drawback is the main elec board. Unless you can solder teeny tiny wires, you won't be swapping out motors easily. But they're so cheap, you just buy a BNF to replace one. I just picked up 2 more RTFs for the g/kids and five 145mAh batts for $55.30 at aliexpress.com.
I appreciate that the 120SR is more squirrelly than the V911, it's supposed to be. It's handling and response are closer to what you will experience when you want to move to the next level. It's easy to recommend, because you know it gives people reasonable options to progress to something more difficult with a high probability of success.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:10 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I appreciate that the 120SR is more squirrelly than the V911, it's supposed to be. It's handling and response are closer to what you will experience when you want to move to the next level. It's easy to recommend, because you know it gives people reasonable options to progress to something more difficult with a high probability of success.
The V911 is so stable. I haven't researched it but I'm guessing the 911's technology/electronics are newer. They're both single blade flybars so I would think fly about the same. I would recommend the 120SR. From what I've read here, the NE 328A is close to the 120SR in performance. I suppose which one to get depends on the shipping cost to where you are - Nine Eagles in Asia/Europe, the 120 in the Americas. The 9116 seems very stable too in the 2 short flights I've made. As soon as I get the transmitter or aileron servo working I'll be able to tell better. The metal and weight scare me a little right now. Haven't flown such a heavy one until now.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread