Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:50 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginer56 View Post
hello

When I was doing some research for 900mA 7.4V li-poly battery, they recommend that this type of battery should be charged outside. When I replace my original battery in DH 9116, how can we take out and put it back, carrying out this operation after every flight!!

I have give below the link for the li-poly battery, many of you might already know but just in case.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

is it OK to leave it in 9116 and charge? any suggestion/s will be appreciated.

Bimal
Hi Mate,
They say to do it outside due to the risk of charging Li-Po's can cause the battery getting too hot and when that happens the battery cells go into melt down and they will erupt into a ball of white hot fusion but you can buy a Li-Po fireproof bag which is what I use if I am charging a suspect battery like one that is swelling etc, other than that I check the battery and if it looks ok then I leave the battery in the heli and charge it inside.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:19 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
I've always charged my 900mAh LiPo inside, but the charger sits next to me and I never leave it when charging. No problems so far.

Manufacturers always put disclaimers on things to distance themselves from any further liability, if something goes horribly wrong. The standard response from them if something does go wrong is "did you follow the instructions and safety advise before proceeding, if not, it's user error, and we can not be held responsible for users not following the correct safety precautions". Whether or not you get any safety instructions with the item you purchased, the manufacturer will have a website or contact information within that website, and it would be considered prudent to seek that advise, prior to continuing to use that product. In the eye's of the law, at least in Australia that is, ignorance is no defence.

A "duty of care" only goes as far as warning the user of the possible consequences, if they do not follow the warnings and safety instructions within any instruction manual or warning advise label that may be supplied with the device, but that only applies within the country of origin or of manufacture. International laws will not protect you. I'm sorry to say, and if something does go wrong, and if you take litigation preceding's (sue) against the manufacturers, and you were found at fault, you can kiss away anything of value you own, to pay for the court costs and prosecuting barristers fee's, not to mention any compensation you will have to pay for dragging them through court to do it.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
how do you make tail motor function correctly with Turnigy 9 Tx on 9116 it binds, it runs but has no rt/lt control
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:18 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
So far, you can't use a 9x with a DH9116.

It seems like the tail motor is tied in with the throttle, so as you increase the throttle, the tail and main motors spin at the same revs. I haven't worked out why yet, as I'm still working on the problem.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
So far, you can't use a 9x with a DH9116.

It seems like the tail motor is tied in with the throttle, so as you increase the throttle, the tail and main motors spin at the same revs. I haven't worked out why yet, as I'm still working on the problem.
Thanks just trying to cut down on 11 tx's and not have to buy so many AA batteries.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
I've got 10, plus 2 for some rc cars, and a spare tx for the bravo sx's, so I know where you are coming from.

But the 9x can be used with so many other chinese helis and quads, it's worth getting, to save on more tx's. Plus most of the chinese heli's like the V911 and the V929 can be bought BNF, (without a tx) as a whole replacement heli.

It's a good generic tx that will bind with a lot of heli's and quads and it can be used with 4ch FP's, and 6ch CP's, as well as quads and cars and boats from memory, so if there is one tx to use on them all, the 9x or it's variations would be it.
Last edited by stormforce; Jul 21, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:22 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginer56 View Post
hello

When I was doing some research for 900mA 7.4V li-poly battery, they recommend that this type of battery should be charged outside. When I replace my original battery in DH 9116, how can we take out and put it back, carrying out this operation after every flight!!

I have give below the link for the li-poly battery, many of you might already know but just in case.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

is it OK to leave it in 9116 and charge? any suggestion/s will be appreciated.

Bimal
1. Regular check of installed battery - if bulky, discard
2. if battery looks OK, let it inside to charge
3. max 0,8C charge (just to be safe)
4. buy a B6 temp sense probe (is about 2 bucks) connect to your charger, shove it inside to the battery and set the temp-limit of the charger to 40 Celsius (to be more safe)
5. charge
6. don't charge unattended (to be safest)

Just my 2 Cents

Mike
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:52 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
To check the temp, if you don't have a temp probe, use the kiss method, and use your lips, if it's too hot for your lips, it's too hot in general. It may get warm, but I've never noticed any of my batteries getting warm during charging. Make sure you charge the lipo on a non-conductive surface, and preferably a non-flammable surface too (I know that doesn't leave many options, but that's what they recommend. A laminate surface comes to mind or stone, but who has a granite or marble work bench in their workshop, eh?) If you don't have a lipo charging bag, an old 7.62 Ball or .50 cal link ammunition tin, like the type the army uses, is perfect and it's cheap to obtain from disposal stores.

If the silver bag the lipo is in is puffed up, safely discard it immediately (I use a sealed tin with a removable lid).

Check it regularly for external damage like, nicks, cuts, dents or any other minor damage. If in doubt, dispose of it properly.

A safe way to charge, without fully understanding the c rating charging limits, is to normal charge it at half the capacity of the battery, i.e, if it's a 900mA, charge it at 450mA or round it down to 0.4amps to be safe, on a normal charge, 0.5amps on a fast charge and 0.3amps on a balance charge.

...and above all, don't leave it while charging, don't go to bed and leave it to charge overnight or leave it to charge, then go to work. If you are charging it and have to leave it, to go away, stop the charge, unplug it and resume the charge when you get back. It won't hurt it to only do a half charge, then resume it later.

Make sure you cycle the battery a few discharge / charge cycles before use to form the battery, to get the most from it, prior to initial use.

If you find the battery is not putting out as much as it was, like with flight times, noticeably, it's time to replace it (but check the main motor first, as it may go before the battery does).
Last edited by stormforce; Jul 21, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:23 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
If you find the battery is not putting out as much as it was, like with flight times, noticeably, it's time to replace it (but check the main motor first, as it may go before the battery does).
Also to be seen in the display of a Turnigy or B6 Charger (mAh) - if charged mAh drops below 70% of assured capacity (the mAh printed on - e.g. 900mAh) - the pack is to discard also.

/me not wanting to kiss a hot, possible leaking Battery.... There must be hard men in Oz.... or men with special preferences

Mike

P.S.
This probe works fine with Accucell also and has a magnetic head to stick on battery packs
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Jul 21, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:40 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Also to be seen in the display of a Turnigy or B6 Charger (mAh) - if charged mAh drops below 70% of assured capacity (the mAh printed on - e.g. 900mAh) - the pack is to discard also.

/me not wanting to kiss a hot, possible leaking Battery.... There must be hard men in Oz.... or men with special preferences

Mike

P.S.
This probe works fine with Accucell also and has a magnetic head to stick on battery packs
We just use our noses in Canada. got that from the Eskimos.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
When I write I love everything about my 9116, I mean I LOVE, everything about my 9116 !!!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:58 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,441 Posts
Things really are different down under...
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
not different, just weird...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:07 PM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
254 Posts
Retired the 9116 with one final flight

I've replaced the entire copter several times now with motors, tail booms, canopies, etc.. and now the control board (3rd one) is acting up again. I'm out of spare parts and didn't really want to order any more. So, since I like my MJX so much, decided it was time to retire the DH but wanted to answer one question that I've always had - how high will it go

It was nice and calm this evening so decided it's final flight should be to answer the question. I just gave it full throttle, kept it relatively straight and watched it until I couldn't see it anymore. Figured it would be on its way back down when it ran out of range of the transmitter but I never saw it again. I think it likely got high enough that it got caught up in some upper level currents and took off while it was still in radio range but out of sight and by time it was out of range and plummeted back to earth, it was out of my area enough that I'd never see it.

So it will go very high - beyond the capability of a normal sighted person to see it and you will likely either never see it again, or your next sighting will be as it falls back to earth, out of control. So, do not try this at home unless you really don't want to use it again. Was a great little copter, had over 200 flights on it and innumerable "mishaps" that is survived easily. For the beginner, it's the perfect, inexpensive 4ch FP.

Still wish someone would make a true 450 size 4ch FP that is affordable and built properly. The DH9117 was such a huge disappointment that doubtful I would trust something from them until others had been the guinea pig. MJX I have a bit more confidence in and would probably buy one immediately if they produced it.

In closing, many thanks to the excellent help in this thread. Mick's blog and responses have been tremendous help and I'm sure I'll see many of you posting in other sections.
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
I've replaced the entire copter several times now with motors, tail booms, canopies, etc.. and now the control board (3rd one) is acting up again. I'm out of spare parts and didn't really want to order any more. So, since I like my MJX so much, decided it was time to retire the DH but wanted to answer one question that I've always had - how high will it go

It was nice and calm this evening so decided it's final flight should be to answer the question. I just gave it full throttle, kept it relatively straight and watched it until I couldn't see it anymore. Figured it would be on its way back down when it ran out of range of the transmitter but I never saw it again. I think it likely got high enough that it got caught up in some upper level currents and took off while it was still in radio range but out of sight and by time it was out of range and plummeted back to earth, it was out of my area enough that I'd never see it.

So it will go very high - beyond the capability of a normal sighted person to see it and you will likely either never see it again, or your next sighting will be as it falls back to earth, out of control. So, do not try this at home unless you really don't want to use it again. Was a great little copter, had over 200 flights on it and innumerable "mishaps" that is survived easily. For the beginner, it's the perfect, inexpensive 4ch FP.

Still wish someone would make a true 450 size 4ch FP that is affordable and built properly. The DH9117 was such a huge disappointment that doubtful I would trust something from them until others had been the guinea pig. MJX I have a bit more confidence in and would probably buy one immediately if they produced it.

In closing, many thanks to the excellent help in this thread. Mick's blog and responses have been tremendous help and I'm sure I'll see many of you posting in other sections.
I really enjoyed your write up on the 9117 it was like something like you would see in a magazine I to went to the mjx except mine went up like your 9116 and not by choice never found it .We are working on the perfect 400-450 class FP and I think if we all work together and keep sharing info it will happen. Good luck Tom in what ever you fly, It's all about having fun.

Ray
Closed Thread