Closed Thread
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:48 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Removed because it offends Jeff373.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Nov 21, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I post facts. I could bore you with all of the technical details and physics, that substantiate those posts. I seek to educate and save you time and money in the long run. I'm sorry if you would rather read only happy things about how easy it will be. You can always put me on your ignore list.
I love it! Facts based on what? You don't own a 9100 or a 9116 or have any actual experience flying the model yet your knowledge of "technical details and physics" justifies posting negative remarks.

Go ahead, bore me. My big brain having accrued multiple engineering degrees which afford my hobbies can stand it, trust me.

Otherwise, do us all a favor and keep your biased and prejudiced comments based on unexperienced opinions out of otherwise productive threads. RC Groups will be better off for it.

But I have a feeling you'll find something else to post here, if for no other reason but to drive up postcount and attempt to get the last word.

Internet forums...
Jeff373 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff373
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:38 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
As you wish...
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:46 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
I reckon buying a DH9116 is good value for the price, considering what it is. I think we all expect them to not be as good as the hobby grade ones, but it doesn't stop us from having fun and "playing" with them all the same.

Sometimes it's not about being serious about an interest, sometimes it's just about having fun, maybe it is a way of finding out if one has enough fun, interest and dedication to turn it into a serious hobby. These Double Horse Heli's do foster an interest, at a fairly low price. So even though that aren't ideal helicopters, they do serve some purpose.

Think of all those paper planes we all made at school, those "toys" fostered in some of us a life long interest in flying, some just casually dismissed it as just a childhood plaything, but for some luckier, more dedicated, or passionate ones, it sparked a flame that eventually ignited a booster rocket attached to a space shuttle that eventually carried them to the stars and beyond.

You gotta start somewhere, even if it's the wrong place, it's still a start and we should respect those that attempt to try...

Chill guys...

Mick.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Last edited by stormforce; Nov 22, 2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:01 AM
Heli Noob
Canada, ON, Kanata
Joined Jun 2011
102 Posts
I couldn't of said it better Stormforce. As more stores like Best Buy and Future Shop sell the toy heli's the interest in them will increase. You could very well see those people find there way here, and who knows they may advance or be happy with what they have.
Nexus01 is offline Find More Posts by Nexus01
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:41 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Too true, Nexus01.

If I had started my flying journey with the walkera 22e I have, I'd have given up ages ago and found something else to do with my hard earned.

I respect those that can fly those 450's and 500 sized 3D heli's, I can understand the hard work, time and vast amounts of money they have spent to maintain their passion for those heli's, I'd love to try myself but confidence in one's own abilities, especially mine, is a rare resource to obtain.

It's taken me years to become the archer I wanted to be, I've still got a very long way to go, but the day I stop having fun doing it will be the day I give it up, because ultimately life's too short to waste time on things you don't enjoy doing.

I'll suffer working hard to get my money, but I'd rather enjoy spending my money on things I think or know I'd enjoy doing, as would the vast majority of the people on this big blue ball.

To be fair, I can understand where Balr14 is coming from though, he's probably seen too many people buying and flying these heli's for a couple of weeks successfully, and then buy a hobby grade heli, then go to his club expecting to be able to fly a CP Heli the same way as the cheaper ones and failing miserably then giving up in disgust. I've learnt from trying with my walkera that they are two totally different species of helicopters. He's only trying to make others aware of their limitations and attempt to inform others of the pitfalls if they eventually want to try to fly a CP heli based on their experience with a cheaper chinese 3.5 or 4ch heli. Knowing now what I do, it wouldn't be where I'd like to start from. But, as I stated earlier, I offered my insights into a helicopter that I own, without prejudice, and from a near raw novice's viewpoint and I still stand by what I wrote. I didn't have to post a reply, but felt the need to say something positive, especially when I've actually found something positive to say about the helicopter, in an internet discussion forum that, from what I've read so far, if you say anything outside the accepted norm, you'll be eaten alive. I think there is a misconception that just because these "toys" can actually get of the ground under their own power (which, for the price is no mean feat in itself, irregardless what the purists say) and continue to stay in the air whilst being controlled by someone with very little or no experience what so ever, and maybe with enough practise, do so often without them self-destructing mid-air or plummeting to the earth disasterously, that they can control all types of RC helicopters.

I don't think I or others visiting this forum are that gullible or niave, irregardless of the advertising on the package the helicopter came in. Unfortunately, we have saying in Australia for such a situation as that, (...and I'll probably get kicked out of this forum for what I'm about to write) "opinions are like as****es, everyone has one", some stink, some don't, some only stink after you poke them for a while.

I usually don't poke, if I don't want to stir up a bad smell, but I am willing to get just enough s**t under my nails to form my own opinon and then decide if I will or won't act upon it...

'nuff said on the subject for now...

Mick.
Last edited by stormforce; Nov 23, 2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:33 PM
Heli Noob
Canada, ON, Kanata
Joined Jun 2011
102 Posts
I've had people just stop talking to me as soon as I mention I'm flying something I got from Best Buy..I swear it's like dirty/bad word that your not supposed to say. I don't understand why, I do know there is difference between something you get @ best buy and a hobby shop quality. So I don't understand why so much hostility towards them..
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
I totally agree, nexus01.

Where I am, no one has access to the hobby grade heli's unless you purchase from the net, let alone the cheaper ones in stores, I can't even find the "airhog" heli's in my local dept store, so most people I meet are reasonably impressed by anyone that can fly a heli without crashing it or fly it until the battery won't keep it in the air anymore, irregardless whether it's a hobby grade one or a cheap chinese one.

The bigger ones are more impressive though, I must admit. I think it's got to do with size, and you know how everyone is impressed with size, if it's bigger, it must be better...

Mick.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:04 PM
Heli Noob
Canada, ON, Kanata
Joined Jun 2011
102 Posts
The big protocol one I have is not bad outside under light wind conditions, I had it up in the air on and off till the battery was to low to fly it. Didn't even crash it, Ironically I crash it inside because of it's sheer size it's hard to avoid stuff and I'm not used of flying something so big. The kicker is the box says it's not very good outside, I'm like where else you going to fly it ? It's over 2 feet in length..It's to big to flying indoors practically..
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
...unless you can get access to a gym or very large shed. My 9101 is too big for indoors as well, it flies ok outdoors but only on a totally calm day, but it doesn't move forward well, so it's not much good other than seeing how high I can get with my onboard video camera taking footage as I do it. It's amazing how much more you can see from up there.

I took some video footage of the video camera mounted under the 9116, and it handles the extra weight ok, but for obvious reasons it shortens the flight time. It seems the magnets in the motors and the vibration upset the camera, as there is a "wave" like affect that affects the capture rate on the footage, it's bearable to watch, but nothing to win any oscars for.

Mick.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 06:11 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
well, in the last couple of weeks since I've had the DH9116, I've only twice replaced the decorative bar holder that screws onto the horizontal stabilizer and the tail boom, for some reason the flybar will hit the decorative bar on the right side (looking from the back) and break the bar retainer attached to the horizontal stabilizer. Today I also replaced the inner shaft because one side of the two bars that holds the lower links between the swashplate and the balance bar linkage setup was missing. It didn't stop it from flying ok, but seemed to have a little TBE on a hover and I noticed one side of the servo linkages shaking badly on FFF. I initially thought I'd broken the centre pivots for the main rotor blade holders, as I've done that before with the DH9100 and it had a similar TBE on hover because of it. Since I don't have any specific DH9116 parts here yet (there are only the head cover, swashplate, mainblades and servo linkage set on offer on ebay at present, as spares), I used the DH9100 inner shaft and it was a perfect fit, as I guessed it would be.

One little thing I did to the DH9100 after snapping off the top of the inner shaft once was to insert a short length broken of drill bit into the inside top of the inner shaft to strengthen it, as I found this was a weak point if the heli has a nasty crash landing on it's side damaging the rotor blades and flybar in the process. Even though it initially didn't let go during the crash, it let go about two flights after. The stress must have been too much. On closer inspection, I found there was a shearing point just between the pivots for the main blades and the flybar, the small length of drill bit just help it flex too much if it hit the ground. Consequently, I haven't broke one at that point since. I'll try to find out which sized drill bit it was. It was the solid part of the drill bit I used about 18mm long, just enough to go between the top, inside of the inner shaft and the retaining/lock screw.

I also got some 7.4vdc 900maH li-po's from china (pack of two for .99cAUD, $4.00 shipping) the other day to replace the 650maH Li-Ion OEM batteries, to see if the extra grunt batteries will give me a little extra flying time, so I'm hoping to put them in tonight and take it out for a test flight tomorrow to see if it's any longer or not. They are a perfect fit.

Here's a link for the batteries I got;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-7-4V-2...item2307ea6452

The OEM 7.4vdc 650maH Li-Ion is 43.09g and the 7.4vdc 20C 2S 900maH Li-Po is 44.45g, same thickness and dimensions as the OEM battery but an increase of 1.36g for an extra 250mah. Time will tell if it gives any longer flying time.

Mick.
Last edited by stormforce; Dec 09, 2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:37 PM
Joe Scan
United States, RI, East Providence
Joined Dec 2011
21 Posts
I'm new to RC Heli's and just picked up the DB 9116. I bought a syma s107 as a toy to play with and now I’m hooked. I'm going to take this slow and move up step by step to hopefully a full fledge 3D copter. I only really have one question and that's about parts, I want to put a set of carbon fiber blades on but can't seem to find any 380mm blades. I can only find either a size up or down from the 9116.

430mm
http://www.hobbypartz.com/exi-pro-4301-yellow.html

335mm
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-pro-3351.html

I'm not even sure if these blades would work with this 9116 Heli but if anyone has any experience with different blades other than stock please let me know.
JoeScan is offline Find More Posts by JoeScan
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joe Scan
Joined Dec 2011
21 Posts
Ok so I went ahead a bought the EXI-500 Carbon Fibre Main Blade for Electric 500 RC Helicopter & Sky Lipo 800mAh 7.4V 20c battery. I have no idea if either if this will work but it was cheap enough to find out the hard way.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:38 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Save your money, they won't work. They are not convex and have no pitch. They don't make CF blades for this class of helis. What purpose would they serve?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:07 PM
Joe Scan
Joined Dec 2011
21 Posts
That sucks about the blades but i'm postive the battery should work out just fine and give me alittle extra flight time. When I get everything in the mail I'll test the blades out and see what happens. I knew they weren't going to work but they were cheap enough to give it a shot.
Closed Thread