Closed Thread
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyguy View Post
Can't believe this thing is nowhere near flyable out of the box.
It probably was flyable out of the box..

Try undoing what you did.

When you get it going again, do not try to lift off slowly. but get it in the air quickly. On the ground, it will tip over unless you correct the opposite way and that has to be learned by flying it.

Reset Transmitter?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1935
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Jul 01, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined May 2012
9 Posts
Slowly spooling up will not work out too good. I was trying to teach a person with no RC background how to fly mine and he was extremely hesitant about applying enough power to provide liftoff. He continuously applied just enough for it to start to lift off and then held it there. It would tip over every time. Just go ahead and give it more power. You have to get out of that ground effect to be able to fly. Go to a large area, such as a ball field. Put a cardboard box on the ground, bottom up. Use this as a helipad and then just apply power to lift off. Try flying about 4 feet off the ground. If it gets completely out of control, kill power and it shouldn't be hurt falling to the grass. Start over until you get control of the helicopter.

Make sure when you turn it on, it is level and flat so the gyro can initiate properly.
eng208 is offline Find More Posts by eng208
Old Jul 01, 2012, 06:02 PM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
Tipping to the left on take-off is the result of the tail rotor doing its thing - pushing the tail left to counteract main rotor torque. If you want to lift off slowly you need to give a little bit of right aileron to counteract it. I'd just suggest punching it up quickly, it's not hard to fly once it's out of that ground effect area, and it will survive some pretty heavy crashes (Ask me how I know!).

I've never touched the tx in mine, the only thing I've done is level the swashplate after about 2 months worth of flying. It was out 1 full spline on a servo arm. During the process I managed to strip the servo, and now that it's flying again I hardly notice any improvement anyway.
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:38 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
You also must do the following before anything else.

1: Turn on the TX
2: put the heli on flat level ground turn on the heli
3: once they bind let the heli sit for 10s so the gyro has finished setting itself up then test it.

I have also noticed that sometimes when you turn on the heli etc it dosn't bind properly amd the heli dosn't act the way it should.
To fix it just turn off the Heli and tx and then turn them back on and then it will bind properly.

Now as for a slow takeoff all FP heli's will always pull to the left as stated and backwards but if you set up your Heli correctly Then this will be minamized to where you can correct it by stick input from you but it will not stop doing it as it's a standard problem with the 9116.
So remember to punch the throttle past the point of takoff and get the heli in the air and trim it as needed depending on the heli's movements.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Last edited by Whizgig; Jul 01, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, IL
Joined Jun 2012
95 Posts
Thanks guys for the info. But now I seem to have a problem as my previous post says. The tail rudder absolutely will not run. I think the motor is burned out. Why? I have no idea. I did see several videos on Utube saying the rudder motors suddenly burned out on people. I now have to order a new tail assembly and wait.

I have plenty of room for flying as I live on quite a few acres of property so punching the throttle isn't a problem. I guess I just had the jitters since it was the first flight.
Thanks again for the help. Learning more by the day. Glad I found this forum.

Don
Fuzzyguy is offline Find More Posts by Fuzzyguy
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:02 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Could be worse. I bought mine last week without any understanding whatsoever of how rc helicopters work and thought I could take it straight out of the box and thrash it.

After putting it through trees, smacking it along concrete walls and slamming it into the ground repeatedly, I realised there was a lot more care and caution required with these things and now mine does little more than turn on with the led's glowing.

I've ordered a new pcb, tail assembly, new blades, balance bar, battery, and canopy hoping it can be salvaged, but not very confident it can
bennoc is offline Find More Posts by bennoc
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:59 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys for the info. But now I seem to have a problem as my previous post says. The tail rudder absolutely will not run. I think the motor is burned out. Why? I have no idea. I did see several videos on Utube saying the rudder motors suddenly burned out on people. I now have to order a new tail assembly and wait.

I have plenty of room for flying as I live on quite a few acres of property so punching the throttle isn't a problem. I guess I just had the jitters since it was the first flight.

Don
test the gyro, to see if it works. switch on the tx then the heli, and let it bind properly. Pick up and hold the heli firmly in your hand, at arms length and hit the throttle to get the main blades spinning, then pivot the heli horizontally left and right. The tail motor should cut in against the spin of the main blades. The tail motor won't always spin, until the gyro detects sideways movement, then it speeds up the tail rotor to keep the heli straight. If the heli is on the ground and the blades are only spinning slowly, the tail may not cut in.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:01 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:

Don
Hi mate check your tx settings as you might have trimed them to far to the left which would stop them from working unless you moved the stick left or right .
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States, IL
Joined Jun 2012
95 Posts
Mick,
I tried your procedure of running the heli and tilting it to the right and left. The tail rudder didn't run at all. Assume from this that the motor is dead. Have no idea why it should have gone out. If that is the case, must be a rather poor quality product for that to happen. I have ordered another motor, so will have to be patient till it arrives. Hope that's all it is at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate it. And another thanks to all you Aussies for your input. Would love to visit your country some day.

Don
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:15 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Mick,
I tried your procedure of running the heli and tilting it to the right and left. The tail rudder didn't run at all. Assume from this that the motor is dead. Have no idea why it should have gone out. If that is the case, must be a rather poor quality product for that to happen. I have ordered another motor, so will have to be patient till it arrives. Hope that's all it is at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate it. And another thanks to all you Aussies for your input. Would love to visit your country some day.

Don
Hi Don,
Some things you might want to try:

1 Take the cage off the tail motor and check it for bared wires as this is one common fault.

2 Take off the rear tail assembly and take off the motor unit and take out the wiers and check them for ware as well as this is another fault that can happen.

3 Check the solder on the pcb for the tail rotor plug as theis is another fault and also check the solder on all contact pionts on the pcb as bad solering is yet another fault with them as well.

4 Take the tail motor assembly apart and clean out any rubbish and give the motor a clean out with electrical contact cleaner.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Mick,

Don
You don't tilt the heli, you spin it horizontally while the blades are spinning, and a quick spin too, don't do it slowly or the gyro will not compensate quick enough. If the gyro /tail motor works, depending on which direction you spin it, will depend on whether the tail rotor spins fast or stops completely.

It's not uncommon for any motor to die at any time, especially with these mass produced ones, the quality control is virtually non-existent, and they pump them out millions at a time, and they are so cheap, they aren't worth repairing, just replace it and carry on.

And don't think this failure is just because it's a cheap heli, the more expensive heli's like align, blades, walkera's, etc suffer from the same motor failure problems too, as they source their motors from the same places in china, it's just the more expensive heli's are likely to be fixed or replaced under warranty.

If you continue in this hobby, you will learn that getting the occasional "dud", and general parts failure, as much as crash damage, is just part of the fun !!!
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Last edited by stormforce; Jul 03, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:02 PM
Steve
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Tail Motor check

Quote:
Mick,

Don
In addition to what Mick said, do this:
While holding onto the landing skids,spin up the main rotor. Then apply some right rudder stick. The tail rotor should spin. If it does- gyro problem. If not- tail motor problem. My tail motor went out so I ordered 2 to have a spare
sllee51 is offline Find More Posts by sllee51
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:48 PM
United States, IL
Joined Jun 2012
95 Posts
Thanks everyone. I tried all your suggestions. It's definitely the tail motor. One is on order, and I'll probably order a couple more just to keep on hand.

Where do you think is the best place to order parts from? I ordered the current parts from xheli and helipal. Have conformation they have already been shipped.

Thanks again for the help. Nice to have a form like this with what seems like a great bunch of guys, willing to help a guy out.

Don
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Jun 2012
35 Posts
Hey guys, been flying my new 9116 for a week now. I got the hang of it pretty good, except it feels like when I try to fly forward it doesnt really go anywhere unless I really throttle up? Should I have to throttle up alot to go forward, or is something wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also it really leans to the right. Is it weighted to the right?
Ajw068 is offline Find More Posts by Ajw068
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:54 PM
Steve
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajw068 View Post
Hey guys, been flying my new 9116 for a week now. I got the hang of it pretty good, except it feels like when I try to fly forward it doesnt really go anywhere unless I really throttle up? Should I have to throttle up alot to go forward, or is something wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also it really leans to the right. Is it weighted to the right?
First thing (if you haven't already), put the Q/S switch in the Q position. Gives much better control in wind. If that doesn't do it, go to Master Stormforces' blog- all the adjustments are there. Not weighted to the right as far as I know- does it drift to the right? That can be trimmed out but you should make the mechanical adjustments first.
sllee51 is offline Find More Posts by sllee51
Closed Thread