SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 07, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Oct 2011
44 Posts
Uuuh i never tested the range of my 9116. How much is it?
Ah ik know how the part is called. The Upper blade mount.

Is that mount the same then from the DH 9089 or 9001?
http://www.rcholland.nl/9089/281/908...ade-mount.aspx
Its only 75 cents, wich is very cheap...
jorrick is offline Find More Posts by jorrick
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 10:36 PM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorrick View Post
Uuuh i never tested the range of my 9116. How much is it?
Ah ik know how the part is called. The Upper blade mount.

Is that mount the same then from the DH 9089 or 9001?
http://www.rcholland.nl/9089/281/908...ade-mount.aspx
Its only 75 cents, wich is very cheap...
It's at least 2 football fields (200 yards) because I've had mine that far away, quite unintentionally. Problem becomes one not of range but of orientation. At 200 yards, I took a literal guess as to which way it was heading and just applied forward elevator and hoped it would get bigger and not smaller. It did That will be one of the advantages of the bigger 9117, orientation should be better further away.

I think where you fly has a huge impact on range. I'm on 100 acres, no big buildings, no cell towers, no power lines, etc.. and it's almost dead flat. In a park with lots of structures and transmission equipment around, the range is probably decreased pretty dramatically.
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
Old May 08, 2012, 03:24 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc4 View Post
Well the Gyro went on mine and needless to say I broke more than the plastic thingys all of a sudden the tail motor red lined and it was up about 75 feet spinning like a top I see pieces flying everywhere and it came down like a rock. now the tail motor revs the same as main motor no response to left or right cyclic(bummer) I ordered new controller and parts to put humpty back together again. Also ordered a new 9116 was going to order 9117 but range is less than half the 9116 at XHeli in stock (range is a real issue with 9117's less than 100')
Range is the same all the specs on the pages are wrong it has the same specs as the 9104 in frame and motors and the same specs as the 9116 for electronics
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old May 08, 2012, 06:54 AM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Glad to here that, the way it is written up it would discourage a lot of folks. nice to here same transmitter and controller, as parts for 9116 are becoming readily available. On range I have 200 feet on all 4 sides and what happens is as battery weakens in heli tail motor doesn't respond and it keeps flying straight unless I set it down. I'm probably asking to much out the thing My 450 doesn't do that.
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old May 08, 2012, 07:25 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Glad to here that, the way it is written up it would discourage a lot of folks. nice to here same transmitter and controller, as parts for 9116 are becoming readily available. On range I have 200 feet on all 4 sides and what happens is as battery weakens in heli tail motor doesn't respond and it keeps flying straight unless I set it down. I'm probably asking to much out the thing My 450 doesn't do that.
All DH models have an auto turn off if the tx can't be found to test this if you wish start the heli on the ground bring it up to speed just before takeoff and then turn off the TX and the heli will loose the signal and shut off the motors
Old May 08, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Yes but when your 30 feet off the ground this is not a good thing. Mine the tail motor fails first than the main?? Also another question when you look at picture of main PCB 9116-20 looking at the picture it doesn't have little circuit board attached to main board (Goldwing Hobby) I hope so because Gyro is gone on mine and I believe small board is the Gyro?? What are your thoughts Wizgig you been at a lot longer than me.
Old May 08, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Hi guys. Brand new newbie to the board and to electric rc helis.
I've been bitten by the bug hard. Bear with me while I get use to this board.
I started out into the scene with a syma 107g, and it went downhill from there. I fell in love with that little bugger, so I purchased more...a 111g, 102g, lnd then the syma 032g. Love all of em. Figured what the heck, might as well try out the JXD sidedrift 4 channel. From there it went into the large 033g from syma.
Not enough, also got the syma 301g, and just last week, the 031, also a syma.
They are all great so far, (031 being the fav so far), but I needed something in a 4 channel that can handle the breeze a little better. Which brings me to the dh 9116 thread. Pulled the trigger the other night, with delivery expected in one week.
Been reading quite a bit on this thread. Man, what a wealth of information.
Being used to the easy to control 3 channel mode 4 heli's, I'm a little scared to jump into a 4 channel heli that runs mode 2. I'm use to the rudder being controlled by the right hand stick, and trying to wrap my brain around using the left stick for rudder control. Will this be real difficult to learn, or is there a way to set the dh9116 tx to mode 4. Or should I relearn and go to mode 2, being that is what the more advanced helis use. Any thoughts or help will be appreciated.

Looks like a great site to learn about a hoppy I plan on being in for the long haul.
Thanks for putting up with my first long winded post
jeepdude is offline Find More Posts by jeepdude
Old May 08, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
jeepdude, hide the 3ch ones till you get use to mode 2 4 ch cant say enough about the 9116 I have an E-Razor 450 6 channel and enjoy the 9116 more because when it crashes it's cheep to fix when I crash the 450 $$$$$$$
Old May 08, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Hopefully I can reteach myself fairly quickly with the 9116. The 3 channels to me right now are like walking. Don't have to think about it. They are a blast to fly, and if it wasn't for the wind consideration, it would suffice. But after seeing how much better the 4 and 6 channels fly, I've gotta give it a go.

I won't put away the 3 channels, I'll just run em while the dh is on charge.

Is it better to start a turn using aileron and introduce rudder, or visa versa?
Old May 08, 2012, 11:00 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
If you are worried about 3ch to 4ch transition mate, find an open area with smooth ground and use training gear. Then if you get into a spot of bother, dump the throttle and it'll slide along the ground (won't tip over like in grass).
It will likely be hard to learn if you are swapping between the 3ch and 4ch, you won't learn the mode 2 control as easily, and may get confused in flight, and crash.
I would shelve the 3ch's, at least until you are very confident with 4ch.
Of course, once you have flown a 4ch bird, you'll probably end up buying a micro FP 4ch for inside look at V911 or 9958 heli's.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old May 09, 2012, 02:59 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Yes but when your 30 feet off the ground this is not a good thing. Mine the tail motor fails first than the main?? Also another question when you look at picture of main PCB 9116-20 looking at the picture it doesn't have little circuit board attached to main board (Goldwing Hobby) I hope so because Gyro is gone on mine and I believe small board is the Gyro?? What are your thoughts Wizgig you been at a lot longer than me.
The small board is the 2.4 ghz reciver the gyro is the unit that stands upright on the main pcb with the black heat shrink on it.

Also some sellers don't have pics of the 9116 board so they just use a generic pic which can be anoying as you should send them a message first to make sure it is the 9116 board before you buy it.
Last edited by Whizgig; May 09, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 03:17 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude View Post
Hi guys. Brand new newbie to the board and to electric rc helis.
I've been bitten by the bug hard. Bear with me while I get use to this board.
I started out into the scene with a syma 107g, and it went downhill from there. I fell in love with that little bugger, so I purchased more...a 111g, 102g, lnd then the syma 032g. Love all of em. Figured what the heck, might as well try out the JXD sidedrift 4 channel. From there it went into the large 033g from syma.
Not enough, also got the syma 301g, and just last week, the 031, also a syma.
They are all great so far, (031 being the fav so far), but I needed something in a 4 channel that can handle the breeze a little better. Which brings me to the dh 9116 thread. Pulled the trigger the other night, with delivery expected in one week.
Been reading quite a bit on this thread. Man, what a wealth of information.
Being used to the easy to control 3 channel mode 4 heli's, I'm a little scared to jump into a 4 channel heli that runs mode 2. I'm use to the rudder being controlled by the right hand stick, and trying to wrap my brain around using the left stick for rudder control. Will this be real difficult to learn, or is there a way to set the dh9116 tx to mode 4. Or should I relearn and go to mode 2, being that is what the more advanced helis use. Any thoughts or help will be appreciated.

Looks like a great site to learn about a hoppy I plan on being in for the long haul.
Thanks for putting up with my first long winded post
Hi and welcome to the thread, as for the 3ch heli's you have the transition from 3-4ch is a pain at first thats why IMO 3ch heli's should be setup in mode 2 or IMO don't make them and only make 4ch mode 1-4.
IMO beginers should start with a 4ch not a 3ch so you don't have to go through this transition stage which realy is learning all over again which is stupid cos if they learnt on a 4ch in whatever mode they want to use then they would continue to get better quicker than have to relearn the brain to think in 4ch mode.

One other thing that you can do with your 3ch heli's is to convert the gimbles to mode 2 so you have Throttle on the left stick and Pitch and Rudder on the right stick to get you used to useing the right stick for bank turns etc.
Old May 09, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Hi and welcome to the thread, as for the 3ch heli's you have the transition from 3-4ch is a pain at first thats why IMO 3ch heli's should be setup in mode 2 or IMO don't make them and only make 4ch mode 1-4.
IMO beginers should start with a 4ch not a 3ch so you don't have to go through this transition stage which realy is learning all over again which is stupid cos if they learnt on a 4ch in whatever mode they want to use then they would continue to get better quicker than have to relearn the brain to think in 4ch mode.

One other thing that you can do with your 3ch heli's is to convert the gimbles to mode 2 so you have Throttle on the left stick and Pitch and Rudder on the right stick to get you used to useing the right stick for bank turns etc.
Throttle is on the left stick, pitch and turn(rudder) on the right stickk.
Mode 4? Mode 2, different on left stick. Correct?
Last edited by jeepdude; May 09, 2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: misspell
Old May 09, 2012, 11:16 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Yep mode 2 for a 3ch is:
Left stick: Throttle
Right stick: Pitch and Ruder

To acheve this you have to physicly move the rudder gimble accross to the right side. There is an explanation of how to do this on Stormforces blog just click on his name in the left collum and it will take you to his blog
Old May 09, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Yep mode 2 for a 3ch is:
Left stick: Throttle
Right stick: Pitch and Ruder

To acheve this you have to physicly move the rudder gimble accross to the right side. There is an explanation of how to do this on Stormforces blog just click on his name in the left collum and it will take you to his blog
Mine is set up that way now. But I was under the thought that this setup was mode 4, with mode 2 having the rudder on the left stick.
Closed Thread