Closed Thread
Old May 05, 2012, 05:05 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
How is the quality of the Titan? Is it as good as the other T-Rex clones?
I have a HK450 v2, and it seems ok, but all the bolts and screws are a bit crappy.
Im bidding on a Align T-rex 450 Sport on ebay, used 4 times, with heaps of spares and upgrades hope I get it.
Hi Sam,
The quality is the same as the Align T-rex and all parts are the same as it is the same but rebadged as a Titan
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 12:04 AM
Under Construction..
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
PCB or tail motor issue

Seemingly a repetitive post so I apologize in advance. Got the new pcb in the mail today, installed it and followed the online instructions ensuring I connected everything properly. I get it bound to my existing transmitter and it appeared as everything went flawlessly. Take it in the garage and wind it up only to find the tail motor is now completely overpowered and heli just spins in either direction as I apply any cyclic control. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. This is my favorite heli so far and would love to get it back in the air again.

In addition to the issues listed above, I'm unable to get to the settings menu on the transmitter. I hold down the menu button for the required second (and longer), I get no lighted screen and I'm unable to select any settings at all. My thought was to reset the transmitter back to factory settings and troubleshoot from there. No such luck.

I have a 9100, considering swapping out motors?? But if my current motor has enough power, it would lead me to believe the problem lies with the new pcb. I'm fixin to throw in the towel..
FlyinBass is offline Find More Posts by FlyinBass
Last edited by FlyinBass; May 06, 2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: more trouble
Old May 06, 2012, 01:57 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinBass View Post
Seemingly a repetitive post so I apologize in advance. Got the new pcb in the mail today, installed it and followed the online instructions ensuring I connected everything properly. I get it bound to my existing transmitter and it appeared as everything went flawlessly. Take it in the garage and wind it up only to find the tail motor is now completely overpowered and heli just spins in either direction as I apply any cyclic control. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. This is my favorite heli so far and would love to get it back in the air again.

In addition to the issues listed above, I'm unable to get to the settings menu on the transmitter. I hold down the menu button for the required second (and longer), I get no lighted screen and I'm unable to select any settings at all. My thought was to reset the transmitter back to factory settings and troubleshoot from there. No such luck.

I have a 9100, considering swapping out motors?? But if my current motor has enough power, it would lead me to believe the problem lies with the new pcb. I'm fixin to throw in the towel..
If you can't get to the menu try this take out your batteries from the TX either recharge them or put in new ones then power up the TX only and try to enter the menu if that dosn't work then the problem is the TX not the PCB or try it with your old PCB and see if you can enter into the menu

If you can get to the menu then rebind the TX and heli and then try to enter the menu then set all of the settings to be the same as in the blog but what I do is in the D/R is to set them to 60% not 100% which is a good beginners setup.

I hope this fixes it for you
Last edited by Whizgig; May 06, 2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 03:16 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:

FlyinBass,

If the tail is being overpowered, check the drive sprocket shaft for hair or grass wrapped around it, if there is anything wrapped around it, it is like trying to accelerate a car with the park brake still slightly on, it binds and drags and slows down the motor, plus it is overworking the motor, so the motor may die prematurely due to overheating. Try loosening off the two screws holding the motor in the mount and pull the motor slightly away just enough so the teeth are away from the drive sprocket and give it a quick spin by hand, if the gear doesn't spin on it's own for quite a long time, the bearings may be dry. A drop or two of WD-40 or silicon spray usually flushes out any dirt or dust trapped inside.

If the tail is still a bit "doughy", I suggest replacing it with a new tail motor or complete tail assembly, maybe from your 9100, perhaps?

How long have you had it and how often have you flown it, both motors don't really last very long, maybe 50 or so flights depending on your flight style and whether you hover often or not.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Last edited by stormforce; May 06, 2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 09:02 AM
Under Construction..
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
Whizgig & Stormforce, I greatly appreciate the suggestions. Will try and implement that advice today and hopefully later Ill post a vid of my success, or lack there of. This thread is a great resource and I do appreciate the help.

Chris-
Old May 06, 2012, 12:12 PM
Under Construction..
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
Stormforce, I have approx 25-30 flights on the 9116 and half that on the 9110. Spent most of the morning trying to swap motors out only to find the mounting screw on the 9110 tail motor stripped, fighting with that while charging my TX batteries. Here is a video my my typical (rookie) flight style..

Trying to post from my phone and unsure if the video uploaded.

4 Channel Double Horse 9116 2.4 gHz (2 min 24 sec)

Thanks again for the help & advice.
Last edited by FlyinBass; May 06, 2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: add video
Old May 07, 2012, 01:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
...not a bad vid, there FlyingBass, you are doing ok. Must have been a bit breezy from the noise coming from the microphone, so you did exceptionally well flying in the wind.

Was that taken before or after you had troubles with the tail motor?
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old May 07, 2012, 06:06 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Stormforce, I have approx 25-30 flights on the 9116 and half that on the 9110. Spent most of the morning trying to swap motors out only to find the mounting screw on the 9110 tail motor stripped, fighting with that while charging my TX batteries. Here is a video my my typical (rookie) flight style..
Thanks again for the help & advice.
Well I must say you are doing very well for a beginer nice flying.
Old May 07, 2012, 08:32 AM
Under Construction..
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
Wizgig & Stormforce, I appreciate the kind words greatly.

Unfortunately that video was prior to the pcb going out. I spent all weekend attempting those repairs. Full charged batteries in the TX, found no hair or grass or debirs in the tail motor shaft/gears. Tonight just for the fun of it Im going to switch the main & rear motor from the 9110 and going to put the origional PCB back on, we'll see. If that does not work, Im ordering a new one!
Old May 07, 2012, 04:41 PM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
259 Posts
Belated review of the 9117

Finally arrived, posted here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post21545875
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
Old May 07, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
44 Posts
I broke the plastic pins that are on the plastic thingy on the shaft and where the blade mount grips are falling in to.
Is there a mod to make that stronger?
jorrick is offline Find More Posts by jorrick
Old May 07, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Well the Gyro went on mine and needless to say I broke more than the plastic thingys all of a sudden the tail motor red lined and it was up about 75 feet spinning like a top I see pieces flying everywhere and it came down like a rock. now the tail motor revs the same as main motor no response to left or right cyclic(bummer) I ordered new controller and parts to put humpty back together again. Also ordered a new 9116 was going to order 9117 but range is less than half the 9116 at XHeli in stock (range is a real issue with 9117's less than 100')
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old May 07, 2012, 06:36 PM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Since Tom is the first to get a 9117 and has only test flown it seems like a big call to say it has less range than 9116 when from all accounts it uses same txand pcb
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Old May 07, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
I was just going by the specs I hope i'm wrong.would love to extend range somehow on the 9116.
Old May 07, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
The good news is we can take the swash plate from a 9116's and put them in a 9104 and add a servo and a controller, misc small parts and with a little Mcgyvering and wha la we have a bigger 4 channel bird.
Closed Thread