SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joe Scan
United States, RI, East Providence
Joined Dec 2011
21 Posts
Ok guys I’m moving onto my next project and that’s finding a good mounting point for my camera. I'm trying to keep it simple and I believe I might have a solution that is working out pretty well.

So far the camera does not move in mid-flight or during landings, also I believe the foam is keeping the camera from getting any vibration or interference from the motors. I'll post some video's soon once it stops being 10 degree's outside.
JoeScan is offline Find More Posts by JoeScan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2011
40 Posts
Pyscho heli help!

Anyone experience the heli that has a mind of it's own? Today inside it started ignoring the sticks, bkades would not spin up, then all of sudden takes off, tail rotor stopped working. Reset heli and TX and would startup OK, but then start acting up again. Nearly took off my hand. I spun the tail rotor by hand to see if it was bound up, but it turned OK, kinda notchy though. Any ideas?
mikesoftail03 is offline Find More Posts by mikesoftail03
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
I need some help!!

Hello all,
I am a new to RC heli's and just got my DH9116. Can anybody help me with the TX settings, can anybody help me by defining the setting. I would like to get an understanding before I attemp my first flight. again any help will be great.
scv_guy is offline Find More Posts by scv_guy
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joe Scan
Joined Dec 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesoftail03 View Post
Pyscho heli help!

Anyone experience the heli that has a mind of it's own? Today inside it started ignoring the sticks, bkades would not spin up, then all of sudden takes off, tail rotor stopped working. Reset heli and TX and would startup OK, but then start acting up again. Nearly took off my hand. I spun the tail rotor by hand to see if it was bound up, but it turned OK, kinda notchy though. Any ideas?
Sounds like you might have some interference on the 2.4 GHz band also see if switching the toggle to quick helps out any.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joe Scan
Joined Dec 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scv_guy View Post
Hello all,
I am a new to RC heli's and just got my DH9116. Can anybody help me with the TX settings, can anybody help me by defining the setting. I would like to get an understanding before I attemp my first flight. again any help will be great.
I had the same question you are asking, and it takes practice and patienceís to dial in the correct settings. The main four settings control how the heli hovers and stabilizes. I use the settings below on my heli to have the ability to almost hover without any user input on the Tx. Every 9116 is going to be different so my settings probably won't work on your 9116 but might get you close. What I did to figure out my settings is find an open space and try and hover and see what the heli does then go into the main four settings one by one while you are still hovering and tweak each setting. The settings will affect real time flight so you will know right away if itís getting better or worse.

Mode 2
Elev - Sub = 071
Allie - Sub = 095
Thro - Sub = 000
Rudd - Sub = 117
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
George,

The orange one looks ok, I just prefer the blue one as a blue coloured permanent marker or "texta" hides any scrapes and scratches perfectly on the blue paint work well. The orange coloured permanent marker works ok, but can be a little "thin" and to totally hide any scratches you have to wait for it to dry and go over it again, that is if one is keen on keep them looking like new, as well as flying well.

JoeScan,

I'm glad you've got your new heli and it's flying well for you. have you tried to bind it to the old heli that had the U/S TX? I think the heli TX settings will be a personal thing, based on what you'd prefer, but it would be good to get a "hands free" hover setting for newbies to start with if the factory settings are not working for them.

Mick.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Mikesoftail03,

Re: Psycho Heli.

It sounds like you have some interference going on there. Maybe you've got a wireless pc network in your house, or bluetooth enabled cellphone or laptop, maybe there is a 2.4ghz device operating somewhere close by. I have a Logitech M950Performance Mouse that uses a 2.4ghz doggle transceiver to interact with it, it puts out a fairly strong signal and I can use the mouse on my laptop from the next room, so every time my heli gets close to the house, it play's up a bit, deminishing some function on the heli. Same goes for electric fences nearby that have a few line breaks. The EMF pulse that electric fences put out is so strong, it interrupts my neighbours digital TV signal and he is a mile away.

I'd also check over the PCB. Look for the large red wire loop (antenna) on the top of the PCB and make sure both ends are secure. Also, make sure all of the connectors on the PCB are pushed home, maybe there may be a bit of corrosion, so pull them off and push them back on a few times to wear down any corrosion or slight metal surface resistance.

I'd also check the wires leading to the motor, at the motor end. There maybe a small partial break where the wires are soldered to the motor solder tag ends. If you have a temp regulated soldering iron, give the solder tags a quick melt, just incase you have a "dry" solder. A solder joint will make anything act strangely, because it is an intermittent fault, and can screw up any IC chip or digital chip encoding, sometimes it can completely kill an IC, due to transient currents.

I have found too, that the throttle control can be a bit overly sensitive at times. If you move the stick and nothing happens, then suddenly it takes off, I've found it is because the throttle trim is set a bit too high. Dial it back a few clicks (tones) or re-set it back to center, usually fixes the issue. Also, to test the tail motor, hold the heli in your hand, at arms length, then hit the throttle to about 1/4 throttle, then as the main blades are turning, but not the tail motor blades, quickly spin the heli to the left or right, the gyro will kick in and compensate for the spin. If it doesn't you've got a bad tail motor. From other threads of other brands of heli's, a bad tail motor can make the heli do some strange things. If it's a bit dodgy, buy a DH9100 tail assembly and it will pop straight on with about 30 mins work.

Mick.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joe Scan
Joined Dec 2011
21 Posts
stormforce yes I have now have two working 9116's with one Tx.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
excellent stuff, joescan.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeScan View Post
I had the same question you are asking, and it takes practice and patienceís to dial in the correct settings. The main four settings control how the heli hovers and stabilizes. I use the settings below on my heli to have the ability to almost hover without any user input on the Tx. Every 9116 is going to be different so my settings probably won't work on your 9116 but might get you close. What I did to figure out my settings is find an open space and try and hover and see what the heli does then go into the main four settings one by one while you are still hovering and tweak each setting. The settings will affect real time flight so you will know right away if itís getting better or worse.

Mode 2
Elev - Sub = 071
Allie - Sub = 095
Thro - Sub = 000
Rudd - Sub = 117
I guess I should reword my question, can anyone tell me what the following adjust:

Elev - Sub = 071 changing the number up or down changes what?
Allie - Sub = 095 changing the number up or down changes what?
Thro - Sub = 000 changing the number up or down changes what?
Rudd - Sub = 117 changing the number up or down changes what?
scv_guy is offline Find More Posts by scv_guy
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
scv_guy,

ELEV is Elevator (makes the heli go forwards or back via the cyclic angle of the main rotor blades (looking from the tail towards the back of the canopy, the left servo affects this))
AILE is Aileron (makes the heli slide from side to side or bank (looking from the tail towards the back of the canopy, the right servo affects this))
THRO is Throttle (makes the heli rise or fall in altitude, increase or decrease motor revs per minute (RPM))
RUDD is Rudder (or tail rudder. It makes the heli spin clockwise or anti-clockwise. Applies opposite force to counter the rotation of the main blades, otherwise the main blades would rotate in one direction and the main body would rotate in the opposite direction).

This are the 4 basic control terms for all 4 channel and 6 channel helicopters.

Sub Tri = Sub trim, basically the same as the sliding button below and to the sides of each joystick, but as a pre-set sub adjustment, that will not affect the fine tune of the trim buttons themselves. It is designed so you can bias the trim adjustment in particular direction, say, if you think the normal trim adjustment can not quite get the adjustment you need to make, you can add or take off a little more or a little less as needed, to reach that adjustment you require. Then use the normal trim settings to fine tune it to perfection. . Press MENU for more than 2 seconds gets you into the main menu, press SEL to get into the sub menu. If you want to change a pre-set value one way or another, based on the post with the original factory settings, you increase or decrease the particular value by pressing the up and down buttons on the left of the transmitter, the adjustment will be shown in the larger numbered display beneath with a L (for left) or R (for right) with each block on the manual trim display representing approx. 40 digits on the numeric scale in the menu. That's roughly 40 digits on a 240 point scale (0-120 L / 0-120 R).

I hope this helps.

Mick.

sic: salutations to Majic1, for his explanation of the digital block representation for the trim settings, for each direction of the joysticks. I have re-produced some of it at the end of this post.
Last edited by stormforce; Jan 05, 2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
joescan,

What sort of FPV is that on your heli?

I have at one time mounted a purpose made video/still camera on my 9116 and it produced some ok footage, so I was wondering if your one is producing good footage of your flights.

Mick.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:38 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Thetis,

...check your PM's

Mick.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 10:08 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
Mikesoftail03,

Re: Psycho Heli.

It sounds like you have some interference going on there. Maybe you've got a wireless pc network in your house, or bluetooth enabled cellphone or laptop, maybe there is a 2.4ghz device operating somewhere close by. I have a Logitech M950Performance Mouse that uses a 2.4ghz doggle transceiver to interact with it, it puts out a fairly strong signal and I can use the mouse on my laptop from the next room, so every time my heli gets close to the house, it play's up a bit, deminishing some function on the heli. Same goes for electric fences nearby that have a few line breaks. The EMF pulse that electric fences put out is so strong, it interrupts my neighbours digital TV signal and he is a mile away.

I'd also check over the PCB. Look for the large red wire loop (antenna) on the top of the PCB and make sure both ends are secure. Also, make sure all of the connectors on the PCB are pushed home, maybe there may be a bit of corrosion, so pull them off and push them back on a few times to wear down any corrosion or slight metal surface resistance.

I'd also check the wires leading to the motor, at the motor end. There maybe a small partial break where the wires are soldered to the motor solder tag ends. If you have a temp regulated soldering iron, give the solder tags a quick melt, just incase you have a "dry" solder. A solder joint will make anything act strangely, because it is an intermittent fault, and can screw up any IC chip or digital chip encoding, sometimes it can completely kill an IC, due to transient currents.

I have found too, that the throttle control can be a bit overly sensitive at times. If you move the stick and nothing happens, then suddenly it takes off, I've found it is because the throttle trim is set a bit too high. Dial it back a few clicks (tones) or re-set it back to center, usually fixes the issue. Also, to test the tail motor, hold the heli in your hand, at arms length, then hit the throttle to about 1/4 throttle, then as the main blades are turning, but not the tail motor blades, quickly spin the heli to the left or right, the gyro will kick in and compensate for the spin. If it doesn't you've got a bad tail motor. From other threads of other brands of heli's, a bad tail motor can make the heli do some strange things. If it's a bit dodgy, buy a DH9100 tail assembly and it will pop straight on with about 30 mins work.

Mick.
Mick, thanks for this post. Ironically I'm having a similar issue. My 9116 has been working great since I have had it. Other than the initial "dial-in" phase, which everone goes through. I have been having a lot of fun flying it and recently have been getting a good handle on it's controls. However, yesterday when I took it out, upon takeoff, I was hovering it about 3 or 4 ft. off the ground and I noticed the heli had a strange "wobble" back and forth (left/right), almost like it was out of balance somehow? It didn't seem to effect the flying, so I didn't think too much about it. After 5 minutes in the air, all the sudden I could not rotate to the right at all (RUDD). When I pushed the rudd to the left it spun very fast to the left. Much faster than normal and still no Rudd to the right. Then the heli wanted to start spinning to the left on it's own and I set it down quickly and turned the throttle all the way off. After a few seconds, I attempted another takeoff and again everything was okay for about 30 seconds, then the same thing happened. My guess is there is either something wrong with the tail motor, or possibly the PCB. I will use your suggestions to test the tail motor and also check the PCB. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Thanks for the post Mick,

~Mike
Majic1 is offline Find More Posts by Majic1
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:17 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
9116 tail control problems

I have had my 9116 for a week and all was going well. After my first outdoor flight - and a couple of hard landings the tail motor now responds erratically. Sendind the helicopter spinning uncontallably one way or the other. Is there any way of checking if it is the tail motor or the gyro. When on the ground the tail seems to respond correctly, but once in the air the heli will spin violently even with full opposite controls applied, can anyone help?
Thanks Paul
PJ9116 is offline Find More Posts by PJ9116
Closed Thread