Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:55 PM
Under Construction..
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
A well set up MQx (which takes about 5 minutes) will take off and hover with one hand, so handling 4 of them is not quite the amazing feat you might think.

Wow, you sure know how to pick them! Do yourself a favor, ask before you buy! The Blade SR is very difficult to fly for a beginner and experienced pilots just plain don't like them. Without a programmable TX (DX6i or DX7) you have no chance. CP helis with motor driven tails only work reasonably well in micro size. n larger size, they suck.

All Blitzwork helis are rebranded out-of-date Walkera models. That model is very fragile and needs the tail drive replaced with a direct drive unit from RTF-heli. The existing drive has too much friction and uses too many amps. It takes power away from the main motor and causes excess heat that may damage the motors and PCB, which are not too good to begin with. With no flybar, a beginner is going to have one hell of a time with that heli, unless you have a programmable TX. Fybarless helis respond very quickly and abruptly and need some expo to tame them down.

Yep, apparently Im batting 1000 in this hobby...

I've got training gear coming for the contra and intend to take it slow. I would say the SR was grossly misrepresented by the hobby store guy, apparently business isn't so swell and there was a need to express how much of an introductory CP heli that was and was RTF with settings perfect for a beginner. After much reading online I've become familiar with its downfalls.... Anyways, hoping to make the best of it and if they crash, I see it as an opportunity / challenge to properly repair it and get it back in the air.
FlyinBass is offline Find More Posts by FlyinBass
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinBass View Post
Yep, apparently Im batting 1000 in this hobby...

I've got training gear coming for the contra and intend to take it slow. I would say the SR was grossly misrepresented by the hobby store guy, apparently business isn't so swell and there was a need to express how much of an introductory CP heli that was and was RTF with settings perfect for a beginner. After much reading online I've become familiar with its downfalls.... Anyways, hoping to make the best of it and if they crash, I see it as an opportunity / challenge to properly repair it and get it back in the air.
Again, it's a flybarless heli. They have a flybarless control system with a 3 axis gyro. Training gear creates balancing conditions the gyro is not expecting and isn't programmed for. You would most likely do better without it. I don't understand why the LHS didn't suggest the MCPx; it would have been a much better choice than the SR.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:56 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog View Post
BTHIRSK, Freezywilly, et al,

This is one of those times when I have to say, " I don't understand everything I know."

I certainly don't understand how this behaviour squares with the DoubleHorse 2.4GHz claims that up to 20 some-odd helicopters can be independently controlled......

For instance, if a given helicopter has been "binded" (bound?) to one TX, and then you turn that first TX off and bind the helicopter to a second TX, what happens if you then turn the first one back on? I don't know. Perhaps the second TX will say to the first one, "I got dibs on this helicopter, you go get your own!"

I can tell you further that using my only ShuangMa 2.4GHz TX with my two different 9116's, I can even turn the TX on and wait until the beeping stops (which I thought before was the "binding" period in which the helicopter MUST be switched on to bind to the TX) and then AFTERWARDS turn on the helicopter it will still be controlled by the TX. I suppose the explanation is that a code has been stored in the TX and it does not need to repeat that procedure..... this works with either the 9116 or the 9100/9116 conversion.

I don't understand everything I know.

rawdog
What you are doing is you are binding the helicopters.
If you and 10 friends each have a bound 9116, they should all still fly independently. They are each bound to their own transmitter.
It is possible if someone turned on their transmitter when you had just plugged in yourheli and powered it up that their receiver could bind to is as well.
Then both you and your friend would be flying the same Heli.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:06 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Again, it's a flybarless heli. They have a flybarless control system with a 3 axis gyro. Training gear creates balancing conditions the gyro is not expecting and isn't programmed for. You would most likely do better without it. I don't understand why the LHS didn't suggest the MCPx; it would have been a much better choice than the SR.
Sorry, but blade SR has a fly bar. I was considering buying one, but the radio is not good and the programming is limited that it comes with.
You're pretty much stuck with their software.
I decided to buy a Walkera V400DO2, which is flybarless, but works with my Devo 8S tx.
They all have drawbacks like the V400 has brush motors. You have to decide what you want or hope the guy at the store is honest.
The best thing to do is go on the forums and see what others have to say about your potential purchase. In the case of the blade SR, many say it is programmed too soft and will not handle wind much better than a fixed pitch.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:12 PM
Under Construction..
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Sorry, but blade SR has a fly bar. I was considering buying one, but the radio is not good and the programming is limited that it comes with.
You're pretty much stuck with their software.
I decided to buy a Walkera V400DO2, which is flybarless, but works with my Devo 8S tx.
They all have drawbacks like the V400 has brush motors. You have to decide what you want or hope the guy at the store is honest.
The best thing to do is go on the forums and see what others have to say about your potential purchase. In the case of the blade SR, many say it is programmed too soft and will not handle wind much better than a fixed pitch.
Thankfully, I have not done too much damage to the SR, but I did know as soon as it lifted off that I wasn't ready for a collective pitch heli. I have plans on repairing the SR and possibly the tail mod, getting a dx6 and the Phoenix sim. From what I've read on the SR folks do like them and I've read a couple different times that if you can learn to manage it you will have the skills to advance to better, larger models.

Back to the 9116, is it worth replacing the pcb or should I just buy the boy a new one??
Last edited by FlyinBass; Apr 22, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:02 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,273 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, but blade SR has a fly bar.
I was referring to the Contra: "I've got training gear coming for the contra and intend to take it slow. I would say the SR was grossly misrepresented..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinBass View Post
Back to the 9116, is it worth replacing the pcb or should I just buy the boy a new one??
For a teenage boy, if you live in the USA, buy him a Blade 120SR, or give him the SR. Teenagers learn really fast and are generally impatient. The 9116 is too easy for most of them and if they have to wait for parts, they will lose interest pretty fast. A 120SR is very durable and reliable, more of a challenge and parts are at the local LHS.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Apr 22, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts

Yes they r all the same they r nice but the tail will go out after a few flights i got the 9100 and 9116 they need 2 go 2.4ghz because they will get away from u do 2 the fm remote
DELBERT256 is offline Find More Posts by DELBERT256
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:16 PM
Under Construction..
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
I was referring to the Contra: "I've got training gear coming for the contra and intend to take it slow. I would say the SR was grossly misrepresented..."

For a teenage boy, if you live in the USA, buy him a Blade 120SR, or give him the SR. Teenagers learn really fast and are generally impatient. The 9116 is too easy for most of them and if they have to wait for parts, they will lose interest pretty fast. A 120SR is very durable and reliable, more of a challenge and parts are at the local LHS.

Balr, I agree he is impatient like most teenagers. I don't mind getting the 120sr because I have a couple of LHS in my area and parts are readily available. I guess it is a personal/prideful thing for me, I want to repair each and every one.. I guess just to see if I am capable of such a feat, also hopefully I can familiarize myself with each one as much as I can. I actually wouldn't mind converting the 9100 to a 9116, but believe it would make just as much sense to purchase one new and negate the hassle. I do though appreciate the suggestions/insight, being green its already cost me almost $500 since the 9116 and I had the most fun with it.. Ignorance is expensive
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Stormforce
I happened to run across a picture of your kestrel.
It caught my eye that the rotor head looks almost exactly the same as the 9116.
Is it? How's does the kestrel respond and fly.
Subtle design differences between the Kestrel and DH9116, but ultimately, they are essentially the same rotor head design. With one exception, the dogbones from the main blade grips to the flybar are adjustable on the Kestrel, where as with the 9116, they are a fixed length. The swashplate is orientated similar to the 9116, but the anti-rotation pin is set at 120 instead of 180 as with the 9116. I don't know if this makes much difference or not.

The Kestrel responds poorly incomparison to the 9116. The heli is heavier because of the scale canopy, so it lumbers along. It's not as fast as the 9116, but it banks beautifully and because it's a scaled model, it looks good doing it.

A few issues with the kestrel. The landing gear is a bad design, with noticable weak points that snap off in a hard landing, as the landing gear is pinned to the frame, the point where the pins insert into the frame are the weak point. The tail boom has no internal reinforcing structure, so if one was to land hard, the tail rotor will hit the deck, shearing the tail motor mount from the boom. I used a knitting needle to act as an internal reinforcing shaft and that issue has been resolved.

The reciever is very good however, with gyro and tail proportion dial user adjustments, which was ideal for using the Xtreme Pro 180 motor with when the NE motor was excessively oiled and consequently lost power.

Ulitimately, the heli is not as good as the 9116, being 100% plastic throughout, no metal anywhere, so it is not very crashworthy. It is idealy suited to an experienced 4ch heli pilot that no longer crashes on a regular basis.

It does not handle any wind at all, even a slight breeze just over total calm upsets it, but when flying on a totally calm day it is wonderful to watch, as it banks and moves just like a real one. So much so, that if you did not know it was a model, in the air at a distance, you would swear it was a real one.

If you like the scale looks, it might be worth the extra expence (over $100), but if you want performance, I'd suggest the DH9116, if there was only the two to choose from.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Last edited by stormforce; Apr 22, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:57 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
Subtle design differences between the Kestrel and DH9116, but ultimately, they are essentially the same rotor head design. With one exception, the dogbones from the main blade grips to the flybar are adjustable on the Kestrel, where as with the 9116, they are a fixed length. The swashplate is orientated similar to the 9116, but the anti-rotation pin is set at 120 instead of 180 as with the 9116. I don't know if this makes much difference or not.
No, I had no interest in buying one. I just noticed the similarities and wondered about how each performed against the other.
And yes, the placement of the anti-rotation pin and servo links on the swash can make a big difference. The 9116 requires mixing for left AIL and ELV. If the mix setup is not correct, flight is affected.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:49 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
The New DH9117 is now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Hi all I have the final costing for the 9117

1 Carton of 4 USD $206.00

Price Per Unit USD $51.50

Shipping Cost USD $110.00 EMS Express

Banking Cost 6% USD $19.00

Total Costing USD $335.73

Postage Cost to each person AUD $15.00 Aprox

Total Cost to each person AUD $99.00

So far 3 out of the 1 carton of 4 have been spoken for but if needed we could get another carton of 4

So If you would like to order one PM me with your Name and address details and I will supply you with my Paypal email for you to deposit the money as the transaction will be done by Paypal.

Or if anyone all the world included can buy the DH9117 from BangGood at $115.99 with Free shipping

DH 9117 Helicopter

Or I have spoken to my supplier and I have got her aproval for all the people on this forum to buy it directly from her so you could speak direct to her and she will send you a single unit or cartons of 4 etc so just say Eugene said to contact her and to buy from her directly.
The cost would be the same price I can get them at which is USD$51.50 + EMS Express Postage to your country + USD$ 6% in bank costs and is payable with PayPal.

The web site for doing this is Double Horse 9117 Note to talk to her you may have to install Trade Manager from the website which is much the same as Windows live Messenger

Some pics of the 9117 it is avalable in two colours Red and Blue

Is there anyone else in Aus thats want's one if so PM me with your details, address etc and when we get at least 4 people then I will send everyone my Paypal details where you can pay for it and when all moneis have been payed in I will order them.

Or if you would like to buy it buy yourself I have arranged with my supplyer that any one from this thread or forum can buy direct from her as long as you say that I sent you at a cost of USD$108.54 to Aus or USD$51.50 +6% bank fees + postage to you country.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Last edited by Whizgig; Apr 24, 2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:37 PM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Any takers on the fourth one yet???? Can't wait to get my hands on one.

I'm slowly getting more people into this hobby. One of my elderly neighbors had been watching me fly my 9116 and was very interested in rc heli's. I got him into a s107 and now he is hooked. He has now shown most of the neighbors on the street and know I've been asked to supply another three s107's lol. Now my neighbor has mastered the s107 I'm hooking him up with a v911 and a 9116. I'll have to start charging a handling fee
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:47 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
Well I just bought a 9116, a day too early! Would have been better off to have bought one of these 9117's. The bigger size appeals to me, if nothing else.

Anyway, it arrived today, got it out of the box, and my heart sank. It's a mode 1 controller. Here we go again

I guess I could always put it on ebay. What mode are the 9117's in?
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:36 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrydad View Post
Well I just bought a 9116, a day too early! Would have been better off to have bought one of these 9117's. The bigger size appeals to me, if nothing else.

Anyway, it arrived today, got it out of the box, and my heart sank. It's a mode 1 controller. Here we go again

Mode 2 but you can convert your tx to mode 2 click on Stormforse's name in the left colum and it will take you to his blog and the instructions are there to change from mode1 to mode2
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:04 AM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrydad View Post

As Eugene said, check out stormforce's blog. I converted mine in about 15 minutes
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Closed Thread