Closed Thread
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:32 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
Balr14 - In your opinion, what is the "best" 4ch fp single rotor out there that is at least the size of the 9116? The Walkera 180Z kind of seems like the ultimate but I assume (correct me if I'm wrong yet again) I have to use the Walkera radio or can I bind my FlySky to it?
The CB180Z is obsolete. It was simply a transitional model, something to try their first 3 axis gyro with. They don't even make that receiver model any more. The V200D01 is probably the best FP heli in that size, at the moment. It's flybarless, so the parts count is considerably diminished. It has better response and electronic stabilization provided by a lot better 3 axis gyro than their earlier models. It's brushless and shaft drive. Because it does not have mechanical stabilization and has a 3 axis gyro that will respond about 100 times faster than humanly possible, it is much more capable in wind than any conventional flybar equipped FP heli.

Any time you have mechanical stabilization (45 flybars, etc.), you lose movement authority. It's a trade-off, the more mechanical stabilization, the less movement authority. Electronic stabilization eliminates that trade-off with programming. The one drawback to flybarless systems with electronic stabilization is they do not attempt to level themselves. That's really more a function of gravity, than anything else, but that's another topic.

Do not confuse the V200D01 with the V200D02. The V200D02 is simply a reincarnation of the poorly designed CB180D, with no flybar. It has crappy motors and a poor tail drive system. The V200D01 is worth the extra money.

Any Walkera heli requires a Walkera transmitter. Even then you have to be careful. The newer transmitters and receivers are not compatible with the older models.

If you are located in the USA and want to try something in an FP that's a little smaller than the 9116 that doesn't cost a fortune, give the Blade MQx quad a try. It's nearly indestructable and it's performance range is beyond anything I've ever seen. You can take off and hover with one hand. But, when you are ready to go, it will move at about 30mph and do loops and rolls. It's insane fun and a great learning tool.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, VT, Burlington
Joined Mar 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The CB180Z is obsolete. It was simply a transitional model, something to try their first 3 axis gyro with. They don't even make that receiver model any more. The V200D01 is probably the best FP heli in that size, at the moment. It's flybarless, so the parts count is considerably diminished. It has better response and electronic stabilization provided by a lot better 3 axis gyro than their earlier models. It's brushless and shaft drive. Because it does not have mechanical stabilization and has a 3 axis gyro that will respond about 100 times faster than humanly possible, it is much more capable in wind than any conventional flybar equipped FP heli.

Any time you have mechanical stabilization (45 flybars, etc.), you lose movement authority. It's a trade-off, the more mechanical stabilization, the less movement authority. Electronic stabilization eliminates that trade-off with programming. The one drawback to flybarless systems with electronic stabilization is they do not attempt to level themselves. That's really more a function of gravity, than anything else, but that's another topic.

Do not confuse the V200D01 with the V200D02. The V200D02 is simply a reincarnation of the poorly designed CB180D, with no flybar. It has crappy motors and a poor tail drive system. The V200D01 is worth the extra money.

Any Walkera heli requires a Walkera transmitter. Even then you have to be careful. The newer transmitters and receivers are not compatible with the older models.

If you are located in the USA and want to try something in an FP that's a little smaller than the 9116 that doesn't cost a fortune, give the Blade MQx quad a try. It's nearly indestructable and it's performance range is beyond anything I've ever seen. You can take off and hover with one hand. But, when you are ready to go, it will move at about 30mph and do loops and rolls. It's insane fun and a great learning tool.
Hey Balr14, what do you think of the Walkera scale-type helicopters? I have no problem tearing apart a fuselage if it means I have a decent looking helicopter. What's my next step after this 9116? The WZQ2? The Airwolf200SD3? They are both flybarless, and although I would prefer something that will run with a Spektrum radio, the Walkera's seem to be pretty good all around helicopters, and they have, near as I can tell, the greatest selection of scale helicopters.
IamNabil is offline Find More Posts by IamNabil
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:21 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNabil View Post
Hey Balr14, what do you think of the Walkera scale-type helicopters? I have no problem tearing apart a fuselage if it means I have a decent looking helicopter. What's my next step after this 9116? The WZQ2? The Airwolf200SD3? They are both flybarless, and although I would prefer something that will run with a Spektrum radio, the Walkera's seem to be pretty good all around helicopters, and they have, near as I can tell, the greatest selection of scale helicopters.
I would not go from a 9116 to a scale heli. They are more difficult to fly and much more costly to repair. They weigh more, have more problematic weight distribution and different airflow than the conventional "fish head" canopy and boom helis. Moving from a 9116 to a CP heli is hard enough, already. I'm aware Stormforce has chosen this route and we have had discussions about it. He certainly has my admiration. I'm watching his progress with great interest.

Walkera makes some very nice looking scale helis that are all nicely packaged and RTF. But, my past experience with their scale helis is they are very difficult to work with and sacrifice some performance and handling for scale looks. You give up something for the convenience of buying a RTF scale heli. That's OK, if that's what you want to do, but there are better alternatives. Keep in mind Walkera changes models of helis, transmitters and receivers frequently, often with little compatibility. The biggest advantage to buying a Walkera RTF scale heli is the cost is contained. Nothing else to buy except repair parts. The typical scale heli build can get out of hand quickly, if you aren't careful.

Most scale helis are built, not bought RTF. Sites like darthdrk.4t.com provide a huge variety of scale fuselages in different materials, mostly for 450 size helis. You can buy a Trex, Thunder Tiger E325, or nice 450 clone; outfit it with 2 - 5 blade flybarless head and a BeastX control system that will work with your Spectrum system. You can buy the flybarless Blade 450X (with the BeastX already installed) and add the fuselage when you are more proficient.

Building your own scale heli gives you a lot more design latitude. Since you are buying individual components, it gives you a lot more compatibility and upgrade potential. You can also switch fuselages when you get tired of one.
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 06, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
76 Posts
The money isn't a concern. My time is more valuable. That said, I wasn't aware that I could throw a scale body on whatever 450 I decide to buy. That actually helps a lot, since I can just grab a 450x bundle with a dx6i, and be good. I appreciate your help, sir.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:39 PM
United States, MS, Grenada
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
Just my personal opinion, but anyone thinking about flying CP should buy the Hobby King t-rex clone V2 for $29, the FlySky six channel radio/receiver for $32, Their Turnigy typhoon2215 for $15, Turnigy speed controller for $20 and four EXI digital receivers for $30 total. Then build it yourself (you will learn a LOT). Now you're putting a CP bird up for not much more than the cost of the DH9116 so if you completely total it, you still have an inexpensive radio system left, likely the motor and ESC and maybe a servo or two. Since you built it, you know how to fix it. For $29, buy two kits, one as a spare for parts. Like Mick said, almost every crash, even minor ones, damages something so with a spare, you can at least fix everything one time.

I love the idea of a simulator punishing you for failures! With nothing at stake, too easy to just hit reset and try, try again. Maybe create a 60 day beginner mode where there are no consequences but then the points start to add up. Actually, a shrewd company would issue a very sophisticated sim for free but after 60 days, your points would add up until you were locked out of the sim until you paid a one-time unlock fee. Trust me, nobody gets proficient on them after only sixty days so everyone would be addicted to the simulator and eventually locked out.

Kind of like Mick, I fly the 9116 a couple times a day to enjoy but to also convince myself I'm not a complete idiot. Then I try to fly the CP to convince myself I am, in fact, an idiot I'm waiting now for a new $22 head because I broken off one little screw inside the head itself during a very light blade strike. With the 9116, I just pick it up, dust it off and keep on flying which is why the 9117 interests me so much.
Just trying to make sure I understand. Is the gyro built into the receiver unit or will it also need to be added to a setup like this.
autowarrior is offline Find More Posts by autowarrior
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:01 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,749 Posts
Quote:
The money isn't a concern. My time is more valuable. That said, I wasn't aware that I could throw a scale body on whatever 450 I decide to buy. That actually helps a lot, since I can just grab a 450x bundle with a dx6i, and be good. I appreciate your help, sir.
Darthdrk will paint and build your scale heli for you, if that's your choice. http://darthdrk.4t.com/index.html

This is for the real serious scale heli fans: http://www.scaleflying.com/Scale-Hel...ages_c_24.html
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 06, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:59 PM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autowarrior View Post
Just trying to make sure I understand. Is the gyro built into the receiver unit or will it also need to be added to a setup like this.
No, should have listed it. I like the $9 GY48V gyro. Made a BIG difference on my e-razor when I replaced the stock one. Not sure how they can sell it for $9 but not complaining.
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Darthdrk will paint and build your scale heli for you, if that's your choice. http://darthdrk.4t.com/index.html

This is for the real serious scale heli fans: http://www.scaleflying.com/Scale-Hel...ages_c_24.html
Scale flying has some great fuselages. What's a good next step up 250? I don't mind going from four channel to four channel or "easyish" six channel. I'm not looking to do mad 3d. Just semi-mad scale flight in battery park.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:00 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,749 Posts
Quote:
Scale flying has some great fuselages. What's a good next step up 250? I don't mind going from four channel to four channel or "easyish" six channel. I'm not looking to do mad 3d. Just semi-mad scale flight in battery park.
At this time, there really aren't any ideal helis that bridge the gap between a highly stabilized, self-righting FP heli and a CP heli. No matter what I suggest, it's going to be a big step. The best thing you can do is to minimize the damage and repairs you will require. The most "pain free" next step is the MQx quad. It's rather unorthodox, so you have to have a very open mind. But, it's an extremely valuable learning tool. It performs a lot like a CP heli. It's also cheap and the most durable heli there is. A lot of very experienced pilots who used to just hate quads own them. Check this out:
Horizon Blade MQX low flips (2 min 10 sec)

If that isn't for you, the flybarless micros I previously mentioned would be my next choices.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
76 Posts
That thing looks pretty awesome to fly. A touch ugly, but awesome!
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:36 PM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
241 Posts
Looks like a bug
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
DH 9116 Not Drifting

Just received my DH 9116 - great heli, big move up from the Syma S107... It was flying fine - about 10 small flights around the garage waiting for the wind to stop blowing. Changed the TX to mode 2 - thanks for the direction Stormforce!
However, I now have a problem - I cannot drift left or right in slow mode. I can see the left servo is trying to move a little about every 8th movement of the right stick (doesn't move the other 7 times). When I move the D/R switch to greater fast movement both servo's work fine and move up and down full travel while drifting. Question - why will the servos move in fast mode but will not move in slow mode.

Thanks,
Jeff
jc2fast is offline Find More Posts by jc2fast
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Slow mode impedes full servo movement, so it can't get away from you while you are learning. Basically, it's for learning to hover so consider it absolute beginner mode.

Quick mode is for the more experienced or advanced users, and gives the user the full extent of servo movement. In this mode, the heli can get away from you pretty quick, and may cause you to fly into the ground while going full flight forward (FFF) or into something else, like a tree or a wall of a house, so it is only used for those that are aware of it's possible consequences.

I can't comment with it only moving 1 out of 8 times though...
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Last edited by stormforce; Mar 06, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:13 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc2fast View Post
Just received my DH 9116 - great heli, big move up from the Syma S107... It was flying fine - about 10 small flights around the garage waiting for the wind to stop blowing. Changed the TX to mode 2 - thanks for the direction Stormforce!
However, I now have a problem - I cannot drift left or right in slow mode. I can see the left servo is trying to move a little about every 8th movement of the right stick (doesn't move the other 7 times). When I move the D/R switch to greater fast movement both servo's work fine and move up and down full travel while drifting. Question - why will the servos move in fast mode but will not move in slow mode.

Thanks,
Jeff
Ok switch the switch to slow mode
Turn on the tx and go through your menu and post every menu setting here or send it to me in a PM so I can see what everything is set as and then I can help you change the setting to fix the problem.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:14 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Have a look at this heli:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597711
Anyone flown it?
Looks to be similar to the 9116 and moreso (size-wise) 9117, although some distinct differences too. Looks to be a good buy, thoughts?
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Closed Thread