HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Question
Double horse 9116 Heli

any opinons on the double horse 9116 heli. Im thinking about buying one.
capo58 is offline Find More Posts by capo58
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:10 PM
Heli Noob
Canada, ON, Kanata
Joined Jun 2011
102 Posts
Seems like a good starter heli, from what I read it's the same as the 9100 but with an extra channel and it's 2.4 ghz.
Nexus01 is offline Find More Posts by Nexus01
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:26 PM
United States, LA, Westwego
Joined Aug 2011
15 Posts
I own 2 of them. Enjoy flying them. Learned a lot from them.
snn316 is offline Find More Posts by snn316
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:36 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
I got one last week.

Been flying it almost everyday this week and it's pretty good, heaps better than the 9100, which I have two of. Lots of fun and it can handle a slight breeze ok, but you've got to fight to keep it flying into the wind or it floats downwind quite readily like a co-axial.

Not too bad for the price (I paid $129.00AUD delivered on eBay).

From what I can make out it looks like most of the parts are from the 9100, just painted a different colour, the only except is the swashplate, transmitter and the pcb.

The only issue with it I can see is the highest servo link arm (front, right hand side) hits the edge of the canopy and the plastic arm is stressed outwards on full extention if used in the quick mode. It'll probably break one day, but it's the same servo as is on the 9100 so a replacement arm will be easily obtainable.

Mick.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:42 AM
Joined Nov 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
I got one last week.

Been flying it almost everyday this week and it's pretty good, heaps better than the 9100, which I have two of. Lots of fun and it can handle a slight breeze ok, but you've got to fight to keep it flying into the wind or it floats downwind quite readily like a co-axial.

Mick.
Mick - was planning on picking up a 9100 within the next week after looking hard at the 9104 and the 9116. Seemed like the 9100 was a proven heli with lots of info and parts already out there.

Could you please expand on "heaps better" in terms of flight and control? That 9116 TX looks like fun. Does the digital trim work well?

Thanks in advance. Willing to spend a bit more for the 9116 if it's worth it.
Jeff373 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff373
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Hi Jeff,

The 9116 is better, it can hover considerably better than the 9100, but you've got to be on the sticks constantly to counter any move, so it's getting closer to a real heli I suppose, but still beginner freindly. It still suffers from the pendulum effect to some degree, but no way near as extreme as the 9100. I've flown it in a nice straight line forward for 100 metres without the pendulum effect taking over. I've yet to master the banked turn, but feel it's capable. Someone thats flown co-axials and the 9100 would quite easily get it to hover within the first couple of minutes into the first flight. As for the digital TX, everything works well but the trims are fully digital, so they are incremented, and can be a bit annoying when fine tuning, as you might not be able to set the exact trim setting as you'd like, as I have. A quick push on the trim either way to adjust it by one increment (a tone sounds for each increment) or a longer push for more than three seconds increases or decreases the trim accompanyed by a scaled tone up in pitch for up and down in pitch for down, and a long single tone for the centre setting. The tail rotor trim needs constant monitoring as the battery starts to loose voltage. I've flown it every afternoon this week since I've had it and I learn more about it everyday. Since you've constantly got to be "on the ball" with the 9100, especially trying to counter the pendulum effect, the 9116 is less affected by it, so you can relax a bit being concered about the pendulum effect and concentrate more on flying it where you want it to go or do.

It has two settings, slow and quick, by flicking the toggle switch on the left top of the controller. Slow is good to start with, as the actions are not severe enough to make you panic if it gets away from you, but if you have a fair bit of experience with the 9100, you'll prefer the quick setting quite soon. It's like all the things you wanted or felt was missing in the 9100 are now suddenly there. The tail turns faster to the left/right and the servos travel further, so you can correct any action faster, like if you are heading for a tree, etc. it will almost stop on a dime. It will wash out on a quick turn, but it recovers and stabilises quite quickly. I washed out yesterday after too fast a turn at about 7 foot and it recovered and stabilised into a hover before it hit the deck about a foot from the ground where I was able to get it climbing again.

The best part of this heli is if you have the 9100, pretty much all the parts you'd damage from a crash are interchangeable from the 9100, even though it has two servos, they seem to be the same ones so I would guess they would interchange. The only differences I can see are the swashplate linkages, swashplate and pcb are particular to this model. The blades although are coloured different are the same, so is the inner shaft, main gear, motors, tail boom, decorative bars, etc. they are just painted different, even the canopy from the 9100 fits perfect. The battery is also the same 7.4vdc 650MaH Li-ion, so, if you are like me, and have a aftermarket programable balancer / charger, like my turnigy accu-cel 6, you won't need to change any charge settings.

Over all, for the extra money I paid for my 9116 (eBay $129AUD) against the 9100 (eBay $86AUD) it's worth it, because the 2.4GHz controller is considerably more advanced than the 9100 controller, with more user input. If you can justify spending the money I'd recommend it, it's heaps of fun and still a challenge to fly well and yes, it will handle wind, not much, but it will do it, I flew in a 7km/h gusty wind yesterday when I started, and once I got my head around how the wind was affecting it, I found it not too hard to work with the wind and hover against it. It wasn't ideal but do-able.

Oh, BTW, if anyone uses HeliSimRC, I've made canopies of the DH9101, DH9100 and DH9116 to use in the program, just save it directly into the canopies folder in HeliSim and click on the "graphics" button, then "450 Canopy Graphics" and choose from the selection.

Mick.
Last edited by stormforce; Nov 30, 2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
48 Posts
Hey Mick,

Awesome review. Going for the 9116 and not looking back.

Much appreciated.

Jeff
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
no worries, mate...

I hope you'll have heaps of fun with it as I do now, and let me know how you are going with it, and if you need any extra help, don't hesitate to ask, I'll help out as much as I'm able.

Mick.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 08:27 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,610 Posts
How come no one mentioned this model to me earlier? This is a 4 channel fixed pitch at a decent size that's not too expensive. Might have to add it to my list. I like my Solo Pro but it's tiny and this one's frame and gear just look nicer.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:06 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,441 Posts
Removed because it offends Jeff373.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Nov 21, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:21 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,610 Posts
So I may not like it then and it may not have enough strength against light wind maybe?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:20 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,441 Posts
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:58 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,610 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll skip it then. Yes, I have a "collecting" problem. Just ordered another 4ch coax micro for inside from AliExpress! The blade 120SR seems to be held in high regard around here, but I already have a Solo Pro, not sure how comparable they are. Seems like the DH 9116 is a nice beginner 4CH then, but I'm past that point. I see it is quite different from the more expensive alternatives. Still looking for a nice FP to fly outside that is 9116 size or larger, but not bigger than my big lama.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,441 Posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:30 AM
Joined Nov 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
It doesn't handle any wind. No FP heli with a 45 offset flybar does. But, this one is the weakest of all.
No disrespect Balr, I can see you have many posts on this forum. Do you own a 9100 and 9116? Any actual flight experience and thoughts would be appreciated. The 9100 for the money is a proven commodity and great value.

It's obvious that you don't like Double Horse products, and that's fine. Just don't understand why you feel the need to post your predudice in every DH thread.

"Maybe it's time to step up to hobby grade? A Walkera CB180 is basically what the 9116 is copying, but with lots of compromises. You could also do a lot worse than a Blade 120SR."

"If you have experience with any 4 channel coax or single rotor helis, you are not going to like either of these DH models"

"The 9100 is a large toy and flies like one, with lots of design and quality compromises and undesirable flight characteristics. If you lack the patience to fly an MSR, the 9100 is not for you; it requires infinitely more. Your problem is you started with a 3 channel toy and think this is how all helis fly, so your expectations are way off. Flying RC helis is difficult and expensive. It's a 3 channel toy, it has no swashplate. It's movement is determined by a tiny tail motor pushing air. It's no match for any air current "

Honestly, it's kind of sad.
Closed Thread