HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,009 Posts
Uploading video to youtube now. LOL Owner1, yeah, there are ways to deal with those people...HA!

When I was flying this morning in the wind, I was noticing the on-board system of the X350 was doing a lot of work to help me fly the heli. Its really a trip.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:33 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,009 Posts
Extreme Flyers X350 in wind (2 min 19 sec)

LOL okay here it is.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:26 PM
dillon, mt
Joined Jun 2007
58 Posts
looks real to me.
nickbob47 is offline Find More Posts by nickbob47
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:41 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Hover it.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:12 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
That is pretty convincing.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,862 Posts
Yeah, it is hard to argue with this. This is the first time someone who claimed to fly a heli in this type of conditions actually provided a convincing video.

My utmost respect Tim, you put your money where your mouth is/was (a rare quality this day and age ...).

E2

(In light of these pictures I dont even care how much wind there was exactly, as it is obvious none of the coaxes I have would fly in these conditions ... well, maybe the LM3 would, but I would surely not try to find that out ...)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:59 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
That is a good vid. A coax would normally not be able to handle that wind.
This one looks like it does pretty well. Although it still does seem hard to control.
I am not meaning to sound negative etc but how would a CP heli handle that wind?
Can any CP flyers chime in and reply?
I am just curious about this.

For 200 rtf...and can handle wind, it may be time to start the wishlist
I bet more practice in the wind would provide a very smooth flight etc.

Jim
Stamp is online now Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:13 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
That is a good vid. A coax would normally not be able to handle that wind.
This one looks like it does pretty well. Although it still does seem hard to control.
I am not meaning to sound negative etc but how would a CP heli handle that wind?
Can any CP flyers chime in and reply?
I am just curious about this.

For 200 rtf...and can handle wind, it may be time to start the wishlist
I bet more practice in the wind would provide a very smooth flight etc.

Jim
Here you go, a video is worth a lot more than a bunch of talk. The TT Inovator MD530 is a very gentle beginner's 450 CP heli. The slight tail bob you might observe is a byproduct of low headspeed, not any wind effects. It does that in no wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TJCte2B7niU
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:47 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,009 Posts
The winds were pretty hefty. I don't recommend people go out looking to fly their X-350 in the heavy wind. But it is nice to know that any normal flying day, you can plop down your Coaxial ( X350 ) and have fun without worrying if you will need to fish it out of a tree because a squirrel fart sent it spinning to play with a tree. HA HA!

Something I have noticed about the X350 is the amount of work the onboard systems do to help me keep the thing in control. For me this has to be the first Coaxial that will actually go where I want it. It gives me a bit of confidence flying a heli that otherwise is not there. I can't wait to get a whole lot of time behind the sticks. May be this heli will actually help me move to a CP heli?

So call me crazy, but I figured out how to mount a GoPro to the nose. And a buddy of mine and I sat for a few minutes and came up with 10 other ways to mount the camera. More on this later.
Last edited by TimJohnson; Dec 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:00 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
956 Posts
Now I am convinced it is in my wish-list. I am awaiting to see now the view from the cockpit.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:23 AM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,957 Posts
Nice video - I'm convinced, gong to order some

Quote:
Here you go, a video is worth a lot more than a bunch of talk. The TT Inovator MD530 is a very gentle beginner's 450 CP heli. The slight tail bob you might observe is a byproduct of low headspeed, not any wind effects. It does that in no wind.
Balr - The innovator has 2x the price tag compared to this helicopter is and is pretty much not avail now besides spare parts.
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:33 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsiege View Post
Balr - The innovator has 2x the price tag compared to this helicopter is and is pretty much not avail now besides spare parts.
Actually, it's more like 3 times the price tag, but that wasn't the point. Stamp asked about a CP heli handling wind and I thought this was a very good example. There's quite a healthy wind, it's a large open area and the TT Innovator MD530 is not especially good at handling wind. It gives you a pretty representative idea of how CP helis handle wind. I could have posted a Raptor 50 or something, but short of a hurricane, wind isn't going to bother it.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:44 PM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I could have posted a Raptor 50 or something, but short of a hurricane, wind isn't going to bother it.
Wind impacts all helicopters, just like it does airplanes. Raptor 50 is still what 10-12lbs? and I think that's on the heavy side estimate wise. Here's a 25lb helicopter in 20mph winds and you can see it pitches up / down still despite the extra weight...

QuickHeli Bat 26 Octane Burner - Tuning in the Wind (4 min 32 sec)

From what I can see this co-ax does outstanding in the wind. This is important not because people will fly in those winds, but it won't float away out of control like other co-ax's that cant' handle wind. I also especially like the comments where the pilot feels like he has more control vs the normal slow to react floaty feeling a co-ax normally has.
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsiege View Post
From what I can see this co-ax does outstanding in the wind. This is important not because people will fly in those winds, but it won't float away out of control like other co-ax's that cant' handle wind. I also especially like the comments where the pilot feels like he has more control vs the normal slow to react floaty feeling a co-ax normally has.
I already stated the video was pretty convincing; who would have thought mixing 3 and 4 channel coax engineering would work!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:28 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,523 Posts
Wow, that was a lot of wind. I wouldn't fly anything it that. Very impressive.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72