Quite interesting findings. Thanks Bob.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:51 PM
United States, MA, Worcester
Joined Feb 2013
796 Posts
Update: Different blades

I received some parts including 2 more LiPo's yesterday and flew the X-350 outdoors for the first time (successfully) with all 3 sets of stock and modified blades below:
  • Stock X-350 blades - best overall for outdoors. High rotational speed gives more control authority. Not as stable indoors though. Very 'twitchy'.
  • Double Horse 9053 Volitation blades: Longer (1 inch) and wider (1/8 to 3/16 inch) than stock X-350 blades - great indoors but too much lift with too low rotational speed for outdoors. Drifts in even slight breezes and doesn't want to descend with almost any amount of power. Hovers very stably indoors for a whole pack. My pick for indoor hovering and precision flight (landing on targets etc.).
  • Modified Volitation blades cut off to match stock blade length and tapered at the ends like stock - almost like stock blades but better lift for a given RPM since they have a wider profile (chord). Slightly lower RPM than stock but higher than longer 9053 Volitation blades. May be a good compromise for outdoors. Haven't tried them outdoors yet.

The best part: 9053 Volitation blades are about 1/3 the price of Extreme Flyers X-350 blades if you look around.
ST_Bob is offline Find More Posts by ST_Bob
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:40 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
I can NOT install the longer shaft upgrade.

I finally decided to install the longer shafts on my X350. A good hands-on engineer friend came over to help me with this. But we are having a heck of a time removing those pins! I know how to unscrew small philip's head screws since I have replaced the shafts on my Blade CX2 many times. But for some unknown (to me) reason, this heli uses pressed-in pins on the shafts.

We finally managed to get the pin out of the inner shaft by using a very small drill bit and tapping it with a hammer. It was swedged in as in never to be removed. But after over TWO hours of trying everything we could think of, we were not able to get the pin out of the outer shaft.

I am so disgusted with this helicopter now, that I told my friend that we should just give up on installing the longer shafts and put it all back together with the stock shafts. My thinking is this: this is a design fault, you can NOT fly the stock helicopter because the blades WILL hit and that WILL cause the heli to crash with likely disasterous results. So the manufacturer through the dealer should either replace these shafts for me, at no cost, or ship an upgraded helicopter to me. I do not see why I should PAY for the mandatory upgrade AND install it myself, especially since it is SO difficult.

I'm at the point now where when I get it put back into it's stock configuration and the seller will not offer to do anything, that I want to sell it along with the upgrade kit. I'll just have to chalk it off as making a very dumb decision in buying this heli. So I want to get it out of the house ASAP and try to move on.

Did I mention that I'm really disgusted with this Extreme Flyers X350 piece of junk? I don't know if any of you can help me but I needed to vent my frustration somewhere. Thanks for listening.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:07 AM
tishomingo,oklahoma
Joined Aug 2003
74 Posts
i couldnt agree with you more. i cant believe how much cash i have sunk into this heli. i have $350 dollars in this thing and dont even fly it any more. i am very disapointed in it and really wish i had invested the money into another brand. the brushed motors are incredibly bad. i cant believe the brushless upgrade was so expensive (and absolutely no performance improvement). i worked on it more then i flew it. the longer shafts should be installed at the factory ....pault
pault is offline Find More Posts by pault
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:21 AM
Joined Feb 2013
796 Posts
I'm not understanding your problem. I had only 1 problem with replacing the shafts and that was forgetting to file off the distorted metal where the two screws go that hold the lower blade clamp to the outer shaft. These dimples in the metal prevented the swash-plate from sliding off the shaft.

The only pin I can recall that had to be pushed out is the one that holds the fly-bar to the top fitting on the inner shaft. An appropriately-sized nail and a small hammer was all I needed to start it out of its hole where I could grab the wider end with pliers and remove it. This pin needs to be a tight fit to prevent it falling out and losing the fly-bar with disastrous results.

If you fly the heli indoors or outdoors without the tail-rotor engaged you probably can't easily get enough blade flex to cause a strike - but anything's possible. Welcome to the world of RC helicopters. It's not whether you'll crash but when you'll crash in my opinion. The tail-rotor mixing can cause extreme pitch excursions which will cause the gyroscopically-stabilized upper rotor disc to impact the lower disc if you over-control (which is quite easy to do) with the stock shafts. This is not unique to the X-350 but to all swash-plate equipped, gyro-stabilized, coaxials.

Should the manufacturer update the design with the longer shaft as stock? Sure - why not. It would cut down their parts inventory by only needing one set of inner and outter shafts for both models. But should they fix your heli for free? No, not in my opinion. You can't expect free upgrades for an older model. Does Ford upgrade your Focus when they re-design the new models? No. Then why should Extreme Flyers do it for free?

Don't blame your inability to fix your helicopter on the manufacturer. You had to get "a hands-on engineer friend" to work on your X-350??? You're an RC hobbyist and you can't work on them yourself? You're right - pack it up and I'll give you $100 for it right now.

You need the right tools and abilities to work on these things. They're not "toys". They're precision machines with delicate parts that strike a balance between the ruggedness required to operate and the lightness required for flight. Could they have used a screw instead of a pin? Sure - but why should they. The pinned pivot works just fine and is lighter, cheaper, and less prone to over-tightening and binding than a screw.

Bob in MA
Last edited by ST_Bob; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:09 AM
tishomingo,oklahoma
Joined Aug 2003
74 Posts
this heli has been in production for many years. the manufacturer has had plenty of time to blend in the new parts at the factory to fix all of this helis problems. ......the main shaft and the cheap motors are a joke. the fact is they will keep on selling junk if they can get away with it.... st_bob ,you can defend the manufacturer all day, and the heli is still a poorly designed product..........i dont think fotoflyer is asking for anything free...........it appears he just wants to buy a quaility product and fly it without all the frustration this heli creates............pault
pault is offline Find More Posts by pault
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joined Feb 2013
796 Posts
There's several reasons why they probably don't immediately change it to the longer shaft - the chief one being the box design would have to be changed. It may not sound like a big deal but that's a major expense for them to make the box and liner bigger to accommodate the longer shafts.

The second reason is that these Chinese helicopter manufacturers are basically running blind IMHO. They build them to a spec that comes from their global buyers. These things take time and money to change. I suppose an updated model could be in the works but the pipeline is still probably full of the older ones. In other words - don't hold your breath.

And I disagree that they previous poster wasn't asking for something for free. He can't do it himself and that right there is a problem IMHO. You should be able to take this thing apart to its component parts and put it back together again without losing parts or damaging any. If not, you're looking for a "toy" class helicopter, not an X-350.

He says he felt the need to vent. That's the biggest problem with online forums like this. It gives the disgruntled buyer a place to bitch and moan about how unfair life is and how the big bad manufacturer is taking advantage of everyone. Complainers are always far over-represented on these forums. Probably 10:1 in reality. Nobody goes looking for a place to vent unless they've got a problem. You almost never hear from all the satisfied customers.

I moderate or administer several support forums on various subjects and it's ALWAYS this way. The most vocal posters are the ones who have problems and make unreasonable demands.

Bob in MA
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:31 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
this heli has been in production for many years. the manufacturer has had plenty of time to blend in the new parts at the factory to fix all of this helis problems. ......the main shaft and the cheap motors are a joke. the fact is they will keep on selling junk if they can get away with it.... st_bob ,you can defend the manufacturer all day, and the heli is still a poorly designed product..........i dont think fotoflyer is asking for anything free...........it appears he just wants to buy a quaility product and fly it without all the frustration this heli creates............pault
The design house that manufactured this model probably made them two years ago and has long since moved on. They make 10k, 100k, whatever the contract calls for; then put away the molds, in case another run is asked for in the future. They are sold to a number of wholesalers who package and brand them for resale. If somebody asks for a second run, they may make revisions first. That isn't likely to occur, unless the initial run was quite small. This is very much a small niche product. Yes, it certainly has issues for the price. But, anytime you buy what is basically an RC specialty item, you assume a lot of risks.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:41 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
35 Posts
Oh, I gota throw my 2cents in.
I got my 350 about 6mos. ago , with the extended shaft (no problems installing it) and I fly it at least once a week. Out of all my coaxes this has got to be my favorit. It's the only one that offers any chalange to fly. I use DH blades from a 9101 that I modify (as they are BULLIT PROOF ). Still using the original motors and running strong!! I did make two canopies for it out of WINDEX bottles which look good and allow easier battery acess.
Bearpilot 10 is offline Find More Posts by Bearpilot 10
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:36 AM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
Hi Guys, ive had my x350 for a few weeks, have flown it a few times and its awesome, on the last flight it just stopped.
I thought it was due to the battery power running out... on trying to fly it again i have no power to the main rotorblades.
Everything else is good.... i even binded it again, I checked all leads and done a complete inspection
any idea's on how to fix the problem?
Regards
Paul
Paul RJ is offline Find More Posts by Paul RJ
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:22 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Your Best bet paul is to contact Global Hobby Support. I've had mine for a year without any problems but stuff happens. They are usually pretty good with customer service
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:06 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
35 Posts
Windex Bottles

Just thought I would share what the canopies look like.As you can see , it's much easier to get to the battery and these canopies ARE crash-proof!!!

The landing gear is SUPERSKIDS 400. I just like the look better..

Now on to the transmitter; I did not like where the ( 4-5 chanel switch was located at) , so I changed it... I feel that it is now in a more usefull spot, as you can engage the tail rotor at any time WITHOUT looking at the transmitter .
This placement makes it EASY to flick the switch with your finger at any time.

Ray
PS. Idid purchase mine from H& H and they were GREAT to deal with. Thank You H&H.

Lets go to the pics.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:53 AM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
Help!!! x350 Binding.

Hi guys,

I just got a new x350 but after one flight it appears to have undone the binding. Unfortunately it didn't come with a manual (onto eBay seller about that) and the manuals on the net don't explain binding.

How do I bind it ?

Cheers
Barraboy is offline Find More Posts by Barraboy
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:00 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
35 Posts
X-350 binding

Hope this helps;
Before turning ON the transmitter,make sure the 4 servo reversing switches are in thr NORMSL position and the tail controlswitch is OFF.
Push the power switch up to turn on the trans. The trans. will beep twice and the bind light will be on SOLID.
Connect the bat to the heli, you should hear the servos initialize and the bind light on the 5 in 1 controler will light up SOLID

After youare bound,ALWAYS , turn your radio on FIRST then plug in your bat.
REVERSE order when done flying..

ARMING; after you are pluged in and ready you need to ARM the heli,PUSH the throtle stick all the way FORWARD then PULL it back. You will hear 3 tones indicating that you are ready to GO FLY!!!!

Fly Happy
Ray
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:52 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,073 Posts
Back home after six months abroad for a business assignment. Is your x350 still flying? Still happy with your choice?I am going to try mine on the weekend.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis