TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:43 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,011 Posts
Anyone else pick one up yet?

Right now I am trying to figure out how to mount a Go Pro to the heli. I wonder if it will carry the weight?
Last edited by TimJohnson; Dec 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:03 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
Anyone else pick one up yet?

Right now I am trying to figure out how to mount a Go Pro to the heli. I wonder if it will carry the weight?
I am looking into buing one but not before I see an outside windy video from a user. I will not go for it unless I am 100% convinced. It is a lot of dough for a coaxial. Do you think the GoPro weight will be lifted? Why do not try a keycain video camera?
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:31 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
957 Posts
Any real life videos from owners?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:01 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,011 Posts
Working on it, but the weather has been pretty calm. May be this afternoon the wind will pick up? Not sure.

This morning, I strapped 7.5oz of weight to the bottom of the X-350. I think that is kind of the max for the heli for the size of the battery. Now I know I can mount a gopro on this thing with out any problem. A gopro weighs in at 2.6oz without the waterproof case.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:30 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
957 Posts
Thanks Tim, I looking forward to your vid. Good to know you can lift the GoPro.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:02 PM
Joined Dec 2009
81 Posts
Thats funny to hear... "Iam waiting for the wind to pick up to fly my coax heli"...lol
Dale W. is offline Find More Posts by Dale W.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:09 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale W. View Post
Thats funny to hear... "Iam waiting for the wind to pick up to fly my coax heli"...lol
yeahh, because the manufacturer claims it is made for outdoor too for 200 buckaroos!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined Dec 2009
81 Posts
Thats why i bought the LM3 is for outdoor. It does pretty good in light winds but is a mother to work on.
Dale W. is offline Find More Posts by Dale W.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:18 AM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,011 Posts
Looks like today may be the lucky day! The weather reports are predicting 15mph winds. Time to grab the tripod and camera!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:20 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,871 Posts
Quote:
Looks like today may be the lucky day! The weather reports are predicting 15mph winds. Time to grab the tripod and camera!
... and don't forget a (digital) anemometer
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,011 Posts
Well, I don't have one of those bad boys, but we can rely on weather.com for the current weather conditions.

I just got back from attempting to fly in the winds we are having here in southern California. Attached is a screen shot from weather.com

I have to say, I really was not going to try to fly the X350 in these winds. It just did not seem to make sense. And really it does not. The winds this morning were pretty crazy to fly in.

The heli did what is was designed to do, fly outdoors. I can now fly my X350 with the confidence of knowing that I don't need to worry about flying outdoors in reasonable conditions, like 5-10 mph winds or less. I would never attempt to fly in conditions like today again. For the simple reason that it really is not fun. But it can be done.

As soon as I get a chance I will upload the video later today. Unfortunately I had to put the camera on the tripod and try to keep the heli in view. So the video will be short. I did not have a camera man...LOL
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:06 PM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,957 Posts
Helicopters aren't really designed to fly in 20mph winds. I'm sure you we're pushing the envelop on this little machine. Heck I have a traditional helicopter that swings 820mm blades and it still hates flying in wind over 15mph and it weights in around 20lbs RTF weight and it still gets bounced up and down when hovering depending on wind gusts...

Been watching this thread, thinking about picking up a batch of these for the LHS - good option for someone who doesn't want to have to fly their co-ax heli indoors only...
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:38 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
344 Posts
Quote:
Well, I don't have one of those bad boys, but we can rely on weather.com for the current weather conditions.
Sorry Tim, but it doesn't work that way on this forum. Despite your posted weather report you will be accused of being a liar/forger or simply mistaken somehow.

Fwiw, I believe you.

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:39 PM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,957 Posts
That's why it doesn't matter if you have a fancy meter or not, they can always say it wasn't calibrated properly, or that brand of meters is the cheapest around and known for false readings etc...

Are groupbuys allowed on RCG? Need to look into the rules and not sure if it'd be worth it if they came out $10 bucks less then retail with free ship...
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated