Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:38 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
Yes, I have to agree with Erd.
If you take a pic of the speed gun...cannot really be argued.
Also - I am quite intrigued by the fact that heli addicts cannot plainly see that FP will not work well outside.
You need to be able to change blade pitch in order to have full control in windy conditions.
Jim
I don't think anyone is arguing that it is a good heli to get if you want to be able to fly in windy conditions, just that it's a smallish coax that can at least push into more of a head wind than most others it's size. of course it's not going to fly smoothly, it's going to buck around and be hard to controll, but not impossible..... most coaxs can't even produce enough forward thrust to make forward progress in a 8 mph breeze.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:14 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Not to be Mr.smartypants here, but I read that so many times that people have all these Oooohs and Aaaaaahs about FFF.

What I dont understand is this: everybody is always estimating speeds, claiming speeds and basing them on moving leaves or the feeling on the skin (and I am absolutely not referring to anybody in particular, but the FFF freaks on here - none of whom can show a single measured speed result - go in the hundreds ... )
GOOD post, E2

it's easier to claim than to demonstrate, for FFF the first seems to suffice

Quote:
Because there is no need to spend $75.00. Measured time over a measured distance is AT LEAST as accurate as a radar gun.
that's true - in principle - that is, IF AND ONLY IF the measurement of time and distance is done properly... so the correct statement is "Measured time over a measured distance CAN be AT LEAST as accurate as a radar gun"... but who has done time-distance measurements properly here?

Quote:
Well, in a vid in Germany somebody did exactly that ... time x distance ... he claimed his Lama V3 with Skytec modifications flew 45miles - do you think even one person believed that?
no one believed that because the time over distance measurement has NOT been done properly... and in fact not at all so... just to mark a claimed distance in a video is not a proper distance measurement... by proper video taping you can have any motion look fast and impressive... also it was quite windy... if I put my ballon in a stormy wind I also can record fast motions... but I shouldn't claim that my ballon is capable of FFF...

there is a reason why in speed records more sophisticated setups than a video is used, and moreover the craft has to pass a distance twice in opposite directions...

I completely agree with E2, the FFF folks should put their claims at least once to trustworthy test
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
Yeah, I think I saw something about the walkera your referring to...it didn't really interest me though even if it does work well. Did they actually release it because I seem to recall they were having issues getting it to work right?
I haven't seen anything written about it in a while. You know heli manufacturers rush to market with heli's that are only marginally adequate. If they're holding back, you'd better not be a Beta owner! You just know there have to be problems.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:10 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
I chuckle many times when I hear of someone claiming they flew their tail-motor coax in a '20mph wind'.

I use this portable anemometer to estimate wind speed. And if I need to show the wind speed in a video it is easy to pan on the anemometer reading.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:19 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,013 Posts
Well I just received this video in my email this morning. Check it out. It shows the Heli flying in a fan, and it looks breezy outside in the video......May be I will do a video of mine. Just need to find a friend that can hold a camera and follow the heli...LOL

Extreme X350 Co-Axial Helicopter (8 min 36 sec)
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:47 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Fly the heli past a fixed camera.
Knowing the frame rate... usually 30 fps, and the length of the heli, the speed can be computed
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aeros...amplesheet.htm
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:38 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
It's obvious that this unique design concept does what it was designed to acheive. Can't wait to get mine out into real windy conditions. Already looking at their larger 450 and 500 size brushless designs, hopefully Hobby People will carry them also.

500 Brushless X5005A1:

http://extreme-flyers.com/en/index.p.../helicopter/78

You can see the size of the 500 brushless with the guy kneeling in front of it in this video:

http://extreme-flyers.com/en/index.p...el2011&catid=9
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Last edited by Doubletap; Dec 13, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:26 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,711 Posts
No offense to what might be a new start-up company, but they need to do a LOT of work on their web site. The link you gave shows a picture and nothing more. If you click on buttons, you get nothing. I went back to the links you gave on the first page and went looking at their hop-up parts hoping to find their brushless kit. The majority of their parts are labels. WHY do you need to stock a zillion labels and screws? Where are the real upgrades? I was interested in spare parts because I might want to try some blades. Where are they?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:53 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
No offense to what might be a new start-up company, but they need to do a LOT of work on their web site. The link you gave shows a picture and nothing more. If you click on buttons, you get nothing. I went back to the links you gave on the first page and went looking at their hop-up parts hoping to find their brushless kit. The majority of their parts are labels. WHY do you need to stock a zillion labels and screws? Where are the real upgrades? I was interested in spare parts because I might want to try some blades. Where are they?

Global Hobby aka Hobby People does list many spares including the brushless upgrade parts, but all are out of stock right now, and only place holders for pics, since this a recently introduced model, it may take awhile for them to get parts in stock,

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...e&dir=desc&p=1
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:02 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,711 Posts
WOW!! $139 for a brushless kit?!!!!! I sure hope they don't expect to add another $139 to the price of teh heli if you want it to come that way = $339 !!!!!!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:06 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,013 Posts
Well I am pretty happy with the heli. I thought 200 was a bit much for any co-axial period. But after flying this thing, I feel like the price is well worth it. The thing goes where I control it to with precision. I have tried other co-axial helis in this size and smaller, and usually it is a game of chance to get the heli to go exactly where you want to go.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:07 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
WOW!! $139 for a brushless kit?!!!!! I sure hope they don't expect to add another $139 to the price of teh heli if you want it to come that way = $339 !!!!!!
Yeah, I agree, if it costs another $140 on top of the original heli to go brushless, it's probably not worth it, I would just keep it brushed and replace the cheap brushed motors when they wear out, perhaps they will eventually offer this model as a brushless model, That's why I'm even more interested now in their 450 and 500 size brushless models ready to fly.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:09 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
Well I am pretty happy with the heli. I thought 200 was a bit much for any co-axial period. But after flying this thing, I feel like the price is well worth it. The thing goes where I control it to with precision. I have tried other co-axial helis in this size and smaller, and usually it is a game of chance to get the heli to go exactly where you want to go.

Yeah, I think it is a solid value at $200 compared to other more traditional coaxials on the market.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:40 AM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,013 Posts
winds might be picking up today. May be an opportunity to have a little fun. Im also thinking of stuffing a go pro on the heli. How fun would that be!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:22 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
winds might be picking up today. May be an opportunity to have a little fun. Im also thinking of stuffing a go pro on the heli. How fun would that be!

Did you get out with your X350 in some wind today? I didn't get a chance to get away today, although it would have been a good day for testing.