HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:34 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&H View Post
Hmmm. I haven't had the battery problem with mine. I wonder if the battery compartment plastic got stretched out from use? Maybe one little piece of velcro on the end of the battery and the other in the bottom of the battery slot. might fix it....
In my case, I had a hard landing. With the battery apparently being loose in the holder, when the heli hit the ground, the battery flew forward and not only broke, but popped the canopy completely off the heli. The canopy was split on one side from front to back.

If the battery had stayed in it's holder I don't think I would have sustained ANY damage. BTW, you idea of velcro at the back of the compartment and back of the battery might solve the problem, good idea.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Binding issue

I cant re-bind my receiver properly. I'll skip the story and now after re-binding I only get servo response, and absolutely no throttle. Searching online I have found other heli's require holding the throttle on for X seconds (didn't work) or other computer adjustments that don't apply to the x350. Any ideas? When I switch to 5 channel, the tail motor spins full throttle.
slo.down is offline Find More Posts by slo.down
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:33 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Have you tried Calibrating the sticks on your transmitter? Somtimes a re-bind requires a re calibration. The procedure is outlined in the instuctions
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
Quote:
Have you tried Calibrating the sticks on your transmitter? Somtimes a re-bind requires a re calibration. The procedure is outlined in the instuctions
Almost sounds like the Mosfets, one maybe more got fried. Would explain the tail motor on all the time. If you have a couple of spare ESCs and Brushless motors hook them up( without installing) and see if they work... they use different portions of the circuit. If so, then it's time to convert to brushless. Also, if one of the motors went bad it would cause the RX no to initialize but since you have servo action that's probably not it, but worth checking.
CarlP is offline Find More Posts by CarlP
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Still not working

Quote:
Thank you H&H, I thought I had read that thing cover to cover, but I had missed that part. Too focused on the next page I guess. While calibrating the sticks did take care of my tail rotor being on non-stop, I still have no throttle. I have re-binded and re-calibrated, still didn't work. I have brand new motors, which I assume to work. I plugged my old tired motors in, and they didn't spin up either leading me to believe it is in the receiver.
slo.down is offline Find More Posts by slo.down
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:04 PM
United States, SC, York
Joined Jun 2012
41 Posts
The main motors stopped working

I received the X3505A2 this morning. I had a blast hovering while the charge of the first battery last. The motors for the main rotors are no longer working after inserting the second battery. Everything else seems to work (servos, tail rotor). I swapped batteries after recharging the first one and still no luck. I have turned the control off before any attempt (then on the control and plugged the heli as instructed). I did not have any crash of hard landing when I flu the helicopter. I checked the manual to see if I was missing something but no luck there. What can I do get it to work?
Williamo is offline Find More Posts by Williamo
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:25 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamo View Post
I received the X3505A2 this morning. I had a blast hovering while the charge of the first battery last. The motors for the main rotors are no longer working after inserting the second battery. Everything else seems to work (servos, tail rotor). I swapped batteries after recharging the first one and still no luck. I have turned the control off before any attempt (then on the control and plugged the heli as instructed). I did not have any crash of hard landing when I flu the helicopter. I checked the manual to see if I was missing something but no luck there. What can I do get it to work?
Hovering only increases a lot the motor temps. You should not wait until the battery lasts. I time my flights upto 7 mins. Most likely, you need a new pair of motors but for a little more money you can convert to BL. Check in this thread earlier posts. Good luck.
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
This is a great flying heli but there are two things i would reccomend that will make your experience much beter. Change the canopy, this is a quick easy mod that will improve flying visibility and increase motor life. Install the extended shaft and save yourself the inevitable blade strike and resulting damage. I have over a dozen full flights with theses mods and they have eliminated all the issues of flying this heli. I am still using the original stock motors but will be installing the brushless upgrade soon.
Time To Fly is offline Find More Posts by Time To Fly
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:15 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
Hovering only increases a lot the motor temps. You should not wait until the battery lasts. I time my flights upto 7 mins. Most likely, you need a new pair of motors but for a little more money you can convert to BL. Check in this thread earlier posts. Good luck.
The FETs on the board are likely to fail before both motors fail at once. Plus, under-powered coax helis have been blowing FETs for years. All it takes is a little too much amperage load when the motors get too hot. Brushed motors are easy to check. Hook them directly to a double A battery.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:19 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The FETs on the board are likely to fail before both motors fail at once. Plus, under-powered coax helis have been blowing FETs for years. All it takes is a little too much amperage load when the motors get too hot. Brushed motors are easy to check. Hook them directly to a double A battery.
I am talking from my own experience. A lot of hovering at the very beginning in my garage and one motor busted (very high temp > 210F). I had to buy the pair I changed them and back in business. I do not know if this makes sense, but there is no board per say but a 5 to 1 controller box.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:31 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time To Fly View Post
This is a great flying heli but there are two things i would reccomend that will make your experience much beter. Change the canopy, this is a quick easy mod that will improve flying visibility and increase motor life. Install the extended shaft and save yourself the inevitable blade strike and resulting damage. I have over a dozen full flights with theses mods and they have eliminated all the issues of flying this heli. I am still using the original stock motors but will be installing the brushless upgrade soon.
I have made the stock canopy opening (see my avatar) for better air circulation, but the motors after 7 mins outdoors flight are getting really hot!! I have the parts from HK for the BL conversion but I will not do it before the current motors are gone. I have done the HP shaft mod (no more blade strikes) but now one tooth from the gear is broken therefore no lift off. I am looking to find out a way of pulling out the shaft from the broken gear and replace it with original gear. If not I have to buy AGAIN another HP shaft. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...I am glad in the meantime I am enjoying my Mqx outdoors
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:49 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
I have made the stock canopy opening (see my avatar) for better air circulation, but the motors after 7 mins outdoors flight are getting really hot!! I have the parts from HK for the BL conversion but I will not do it before the current motors are gone. I have done the HP shaft mod (no more blade strikes) but now one tooth from the gear is broken therefore no lift off. I am looking to find out a way of pulling out the shaft from the broken gear and replace it with original gear. If not I have to buy AGAIN another HP shaft. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...I am glad in the meantime I am enjoying my Mqx outdoors
I changed out the canopy completely, i will try to remember to get a pic tonight and post it. its open now above the motors and lets the air from the blades blow aross them and on top of that I could not see orientation very well with the black on black, the yellow make it much easier for me to see if i am heading toward or away from a potential disaster . I havent changed my motors to the brushelss because i am curious to see how many flights i can get off the stock motors, hopefully i dont get my answer mid flight
Time To Fly is offline Find More Posts by Time To Fly
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:53 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Does anyone have both the X350 and a MJX F45 or other similar size fixed pitch?

I am very curious how they compare in the wind.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:41 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
Does anyone have both the X350 and a MJX F45 or other similar size fixed pitch?

I am very curious how they compare in the wind.

regards . . . g
The X350 should easily handle tail wind better than the MJX F45. The only thing the MJX F45 has going for it is weight. It has very poor movement authority, probably the weakest of any FP heli (along with the DH9117). All you need to do is look at the specs. You can't cheat physics.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The X350 should easily handle tail wind better than the MJX F45. The only thing the MJX F45 has going for it is weight. It has very poor movement authority, probably the weakest of any FP heli (along with the DH9117). All you need to do is look at the specs. You can't cheat physics.
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.”
. . . James Arthur Baldwin

Methinks you are providing 'information' on a heli you have never even seen in person, let alone flown. What are the 'specs' that confirm for you that it is the slowest and most unresponsive fp out there? If you had told me it is unresponsive and slow sooner I may have missed out on the fun of flying it in the wind time after time. I wonder how many others miss out because of your comments

I have flown this in a light wind many times and it does very well. The video below was my first flight in an open field back in March 2012. My previous experience with it was hovering in the back yard. Winds were varying up to 14km/h on my hand-held anemometer. This is unedited with no cuts, including the nose-in crash when I turned into the wind without pulling up the nose due to my inexperience. I have not crashed that way since then.

The second part is a family friend flying it for the very first time on that same breezy field. I have done a few minor servo and blade mods since this video that make it much faster and responsive.

I don't own any shares in MJX but they have been around for many years and they manufacture their own products. They have built rc cars for many years and helis for about the last 4 or 5. I know you can't accept this but they are not Double Horse.

When will we see a video of you flying your wonderful MQX out in a little breeze?

Edit: I don't own a X350 but I do expect that technology would penetrate the wind better than a F45. But I can buy 3 F45's for the price.

MJXF45-mar16-12.wmv (3 min 40 sec)
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Last edited by gordonzo; Jun 18, 2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: more