HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 04:32 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&H View Post
Attack 350 helis arrived today with support, and hop up parts.
I took one out to examine. Looks pretty cool. Like a little Apache
I still like the stealthy look of the X350 quite a bit.
Haven't flown one yet but I don't expect a radical difference.
The battery is a 1000mah 3 cell and per my usual resourseful self, I have sourced replacement Lipos that will be less than 1/2 the price of the stock packs. They will probably be a little lighter too and 30C rather than 25C.

I'm getting pretty darn good with my 350 and was zooming around my yard last night burning through a full charge.
This is a seriously capable machine! I must have had that thing going 30mph in FFF.
The more I fly this heli the more I enjoy it.
Give us the pros & cons if any between the two when you get going with the Attack 350.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 04:36 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
884 Posts
Quote:
I have a HK Cam that I plan on trying out on this heli. I am sure it will carry no problem.
I am working on a simple DIY mod for mounting my old #3 keyfob. I will post pics, and when the weather permits hopefully an onboard video. Rains today and it will rain tomorrow too.
Old May 31, 2012, 07:44 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
Has anybody mounted a keyfob camera yet?
I have not, but I plan to. I have six of these cameras, four are the 808 #11 and two are the latest 808 #16. You can read all about them on the AP forum.

They only weigh 17 grams and the X-350 won't even know it's there! I have flown my Blade CX2 many, many times with an 808 #11 fixed to the nose. When the camera is on, I do have to mount the battery further back.

I just recently bought a small P&S camera with tons of features, including a built-in GPS receiver. It logs GPS coodinates and altitude in the EXIF field of every still picture taken. It also has time lapse photography capability. I want to be able to shoot some high definition, really sharp, still pictures from the air.

I was NOT planning on using the X-350 as the aerial platform for this camera, but just for fun, in my living room, I attached the camera to the underside of my X-350, directly below the drive shafts, just to see if it COULD lift it. The camera weighs 200 grams! But the powerful X-350 CAN lift it! However, at least inside the house, the X-350 was VERY squirrely and I couldn't hover it for any length of time. That is ONE powerful helicopter! Has anyone tried to launch it WOT and see how fast it gets so high you can't see it?? Well, probably not, none of us would risk losing it like that. But with FPV...

I'm still researching for a much lighter camera with GPS and Time Lapse along with very sharp still photos, and/or a good platform for getting it up in the air and safely down again. A helicopter does NOT make a good camera platform - too much vibration - AND you can't cut the throttle and have it glide.

I have a keychain camera mounted on one wing on my Hobbyzone Super Cub and I get very good video by taking the Cub up high, then cutting the throttle and letting it glide. All the vibration is gone when gliding and you don't get any of the "jello" effect, shaking and motor noise. I have a Radian sailplane that I plan to fly with a keychain camera. It should work well with motor off and soaring. It might also be able to carry a P&S camera, strapped to the side, under the wing, right at the COG.

Well, enough of that, this stuff belongs in the AP forum, but you asked about the camera.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:50 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
I have not, but I plan to. I have six of these cameras, four are the 808 #11 and two are the latest 808 #16. You can read all about them on the AP forum.
Well, enough of that, this stuff belongs in the AP forum, but you asked about the camera.
Thanks for the heads up. Since, I have an old keyfob I thought of a DIY to mount the camera in the undercarriage in the front, but not enough clearance. So, I cut two 9" (3/4" water pipe insulation tubes), I paint them orange and attached them on the landing skids (see pics). The camera must be attached upside down in the front for operating the controls (easy to correct later with the video editor). It can also be attached at the back. I hope I will take some video soon when the rain stops. Good to know also about X350 weight lifting capability. There are so few owners posting in this forum therefore, I did not see any reason of posting in the AP forum since this X350 specific.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Oct 2011
272 Posts
Those orange tubes look like they would make nice shock absorbers too on landings.

Post some FPV videos when you get some. I'd like to see how smooth they are.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:57 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
Those orange tubes look like they would make nice shock absorbers too on landings.

Post some FPV videos when you get some. I'd like to see how smooth they are.
Tubes, Yes you are right when you land on concrete or hard surface but in my case I now always land on a 2+" grass. I am glad that I do not have any damages/repairs for the last two months. I am still working on a better mount of the keyfob camera. Tomorrow, I am going back to my LHS.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:38 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
Give us the pros & cons if any between the two when you get going with the Attack 350.
Weather has been crap but I did get a very little bit of hovering in the shop last nite with The Attack 350.
As far as I can tell it hovers just like the X350 with the long shaft.
As for pros and cons, the only thing I have currently is.
Pros: You can charge the battery in the ship if you wish.
Bigger more capacity battery
Hi Perf shaft installed from the factory
Scale looks (if that's you're thing)
Cons: Looks more complicated to work on (Body pieces need to be removed to access the inner workings.
The scale look (If that's not your thing)
Battery is still a little bit of a p.i.t.a. to install (but you can leave it there if You want)
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Oct 2011
272 Posts
Les, if you could only have one, which one would you want?
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:30 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
To be honest, I haven't flown the Attack 350 enough to make a decision. I personally like the sporty look of the original X350 but that's just asthetics.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:26 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
884 Posts
Thank you for providing the pros & cons. Very interesting.
One of the problems I face while flying the X350 is the movement of the battery which all of a sudden makes the nose to dive By using my canopy mod (Blade 400 canopy with tight grommets) I can now see the battery and push it back. I can also see the red light on the controller. Charging the battery in the heli, we have discussed early in this thread the same and it was suggested not to do it due to safety concerns. I am not sure if the Attack 350 flies like the X350 but It's price @ $279 is the same like the new Blade 130.. I am just thinking loud
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
272 Posts
I agree on the movement of the battery - it's a BIG problem! Yes, the battery fits quite tightly in the holder but that's not good enough. It really needs something across the front to keep it from moving forward, out of the holder. I'm thinking as a minimum I am going to run a strip of tape over the front of the battery and around to the sides. That might be all that is necessary.

I still have not taken the time to install the long shafts so I'm not going to fly it until I get that done. (too many other toys to play with, haha)
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:07 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
Hmmm. I haven't had the battery problem with mine. I wonder if the battery compartment plastic got stretched out from use? Maybe one little piece of velcro on the end of the battery and the other in the bottom of the battery slot. might fix it....

As far as a Blade 130...That's apples and 3D oranges. I would think that heli would be of intrest to a completely different type of flyer
Last edited by H&H; Jun 05, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:25 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
884 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm. I haven't had the battery problem with mine. I wonder if the battery compartment plastic got stretched out from use? Maybe one little piece of velcro on the end of the battery and the other in the bottom of the battery slot. might fix it....

As far as a Blade 130...That's apples and 3D oranges. I would think that heli would be of intrest to a completely different type of flyer
No, the battery holder is not stretched out from use. I think after few mins of flight the battery gets hot which makes the holder to expand a bit. That in my view causes the battery to come out after probably doing some steep downward turns or most likely a hard landing.

I agree the Blade 130 X is a different animal. I was comparing the selling price to the Attack 350. My LHS has a preorder BNF special for $239. Since I want to move on with the hobby and still use my Dx6i I think is a good deal.
Last edited by Thetis; Jun 06, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:24 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
Fellas, I just got the new Sport Canopy for the X350 in. It's clear and comes with a sticker sheet.
I would think it would be quite paintable and useful for the guys who have yet to retrofit another companys canopy
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:11 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
I think the Attack 350 might be loosely scaled on this heli.

Kamov Ka-50 Hokum

Attack helicopter