HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 10:56 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
Here is that video I made of me flying my own X350.
It's not very good but what the heck....

Les with his big coaxial... (2 min 20 sec)
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 01:45 AM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
Okay - so after day 2 - how long before I keep it airborne that long? Made 1 minute today before crash. I really like this but time to get good is sparse. Still hanging in there...like the toy.
Trident1 is offline Find More Posts by Trident1
Old May 07, 2012, 10:16 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,007 Posts
Trident1, here are two tips. 1. perform your trim flight indoors, or outdoors with no wind. 2. If the heli gets out of shape release the sticks and let the heli get stable again. But don't let the heli fly away. The heli does not want large stick movements. Small and smooth movements is the key.

H&H nice video.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old May 07, 2012, 01:14 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
341 Posts
Nothing wrong with that video. It shows the heli in it's natural environment. Thanks for posting.

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Old May 07, 2012, 01:56 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&H View Post
Here is that video I made of me flying my own X350.
It's not very good but what the heck....

http://vimeo.com/41459357
Nice video
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old May 09, 2012, 02:20 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
944 Posts
Blade canopy & power switch

See the pics from my new Blade 400 canopy and the switch I installed for powering on/off. The stock canopy is still good (despite the electrician's and clear tape all over). The problem I was facing, was flying her after sunset in my back yard park when she was away with the big trees in the background, being black I could not see her. I am still working on the new canopy trying to reinforce it inside, place rubber grommets decorate her etc.. I test flew her last night and my problem is eliminated. By installing the switch I am ready to fly instead of trying to mount the canopy gggrrrr..Upon finishing the flight just pull the plug and do the rest inside the house.
Last edited by Thetis; May 13, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:47 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
944 Posts
Brushless components

I just received the motors and ESC from HK-see the attached pic. There were two 14T pinions with each motor and they mesh with the gear perfectly. My question is how can I mount the pinion on the motor's shaft? Second question, how can I cut the shaft to fit the space? Dremel cutter or some special tool? As you can see I am starting to get involved technically.Thanks
Old May 17, 2012, 07:40 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
I just received the motors and ESC from HK-see the attached pic. There were two 14T pinions with each motor and they mesh with the gear perfectly. My question is how can I mount the pinion on the motor's shaft? Second question, how can I cut the shaft to fit the space? Dremel cutter or some special tool? As you can see I am starting to get involved technically.Thanks
Anybody ??
Old May 20, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
x350 Repair Help

Hello everyone,

I had my x350 fall from about 8' upside down landing on the plastic piece the balance bar mounts on at the top of the main shaft. Name: IMG_6938.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 150.0 KB
Description: Point of impact

Now there is about 1/8" of play up and down of the plastic drive gears and main shaft. So much so, the lower blade plastic drive gear (the upper gear in the picture) falls below where the brass drive gear can adequately grip it and so much that the other brass drive gear (Gear #1 in the pics) starts to spin both plastic gears. This has resulted in the stripping of the gear teeth on the upper plastic gear you can see in the pics. Name: IMG_6935.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 177.8 KB
Description: You can see how the upper plastic gear is currently taking input from both brass motor drive gears resulting in the tooth damge highlighted in yellow.

I think if I can somehow adjust the main shaft to sit higher, and thus holding the plastic gears where they should be seated into the brass motor drives; everything should work again, but can't figure out how to. I suspect this small (aluminum? see pic)Name: IMG_6941.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 207.0 KB
Description: Aluminum spacer I cannot loosen or move in yellow.
Green highlights the the space I suspect was created from the crash and the aluminum spacer should be flush with the lower green line. (notice the plastic and brass gears are lined up how they should be, spacer to have shifted at the crash and introducing this play I now have. The only problem is that it doesn't have any thing for a wrench to grip where it looks like a small alan might work. Right now I can't even remove the lower blade gear and shaft because of that space I can't remove. Any help please! I just got the 350 yesterday and my stomach has been hurting ever since. I can post more pics if you think that would help.

The canopy is a piece; but this is one rad helicopter.

Thanks,
slo.down is offline Find More Posts by slo.down
Old May 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo.down View Post
Hello everyone,

I had my x350 fall from about 8' upside down landing on the plastic piece the balance bar mounts on at the top of the main shaft. Attachment 4876644

Now there is about 1/8" of play up and down of the plastic drive gears and main shaft. So much so, the lower blade plastic drive gear (the upper gear in the picture) falls below where the brass drive gear can adequately grip it and so much that the other brass drive gear (Gear #1 in the pics) starts to spin both plastic gears. This has resulted in the stripping of the gear teeth on the upper plastic gear you can see in the pics. Attachment 4876645

I think if I can somehow adjust the main shaft to sit higher, and thus holding the plastic gears where they should be seated into the brass motor drives; everything should work again, but can't figure out how to. I suspect this small (aluminum? see pic)Attachment 4876646 spacer to have shifted at the crash and introducing this play I now have. The only problem is that it doesn't have any thing for a wrench to grip where it looks like a small alan might work. Right now I can't even remove the lower blade gear and shaft because of that space I can't remove. Any help please! I just got the 350 yesterday and my stomach has been hurting ever since. I can post more pics if you think that would help.

The canopy is a piece; but this is one rad helicopter.

Thanks,
I am sorry to hear about your problem. The first pic below explains how to move back the main shaft by using the stock screwdriver. Looking into your pic the shaft was pushed down and that's why you have the two plastic gears touching each other. If you want to remove the whole shaft in addition to the screwdriver you need a 1.5 mm hex (pic 2). If there is no breakage then you should be able to be airborn again. You must have a big stomach with this heli but remember be very gentle with the sticks. Good luck
Old May 20, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
I am sorry to hear about your problem. The first pic below explains how to move back the main shaft by using the stock screwdriver. Looking into your pic the shaft was pushed down and that's why you have the two plastic gears touching each other. If you want to remove the whole shaft in addition to the screwdriver you need a 1.5 mm hex (pic 2). If there is no breakage then you should be able to be airborn again. You must have a big stomach with this heli but remember be very gentle with the sticks. Good luck
Thank you Thetis for your help and awesome photo response. I had already disassembled the gears, and that lower one was loose on the shaft when I took the pic. The problem ended up being that the fixed aluminum spacer had shifted in the crash. Had to disassemble down to where I could properly support the upper plastic drive gear, then hammer a flathead on the spacer to shift it down the 1/8th inch or so. Also took a razor to clean up the damaged gear teeth...Back in the air by noon!

Also, you really do need to be careful with those sticks. I noticed most 3D flyers in youtube videos use the pinch method of holding the control sticks. After some getting used to, I find I have much better fine control pinching rather than using only my thumbs.
Old May 20, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Bladestrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock1985 View Post
Where are you guys ordering from everywhere I look says out of stock? and also has anyone had a blade strike yet?
I've had a dozen or so flights and have probably 3 blade strikes on a stock, brushed x350. Luckily, this thing balances really well and have had enough altitude each time to pump the throttle and regain controlled flight before meeting the earth.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:55 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo.down View Post
I've had a dozen or so flights and have probably 3 blade strikes on a stock, brushed x350. Luckily, this thing balances really well and have had enough altitude each time to pump the throttle and regain controlled flight before meeting the earth.
Just to avoid the inevitable-which will happen anyway with major damage, install the the high performance shaft. My .02 cents
Old May 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
true dat.
Thetis, hows your brushless hop up coming along?
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old May 23, 2012, 06:11 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&H View Post
true dat.
Thetis, hows your brushless hop up coming along?
No progress whatsoever. I try to find the screws to mount the motors from my LHS, and so far nothing. I called another HS 20 miles away they say the have a huge variety of screws. I am going there this Sat. BTW I really like the Blade 400 canopy. I can see her no matter how far she is and regardless of the trees in the background.