HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
301 Posts
Here's a couple photos of my X-350. I put my Blade Scout along side for size perspective.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo1970 View Post
Gus,

I'm glad they took care of you, it's one of the reasons why I use Global as one of my major distributors. I sent you a couple of emails inquiring as to your progress with them, did you not receive them?

Regards,
Bill

PS... you're crazy flying it from the La-Z-Boy in your living room!! LOL
Bill, I got a new heli rather than my original one, repaired, thanks to the intervention from a good friend. It would not have happened otherwise.

Yes, I finally saw your e-mails to me - they were in my TRASH folder! I have NO idea why they went there. But I will reply, and I'll check that folder often.
Last edited by fotoflyer; Apr 20, 2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: correction
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Oct 2011
301 Posts
I think I already know the answer to this question, but just to be sure...

Is there any way to add expo to the X-350 Tx?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:31 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
i think i already know the answer to this question, but just to be sure...

Is there any way to add expo to the x-350 tx?
no!!
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:33 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Thetis, would you describe your timer and how/where you mounted it? Thanks!
I am out of town now. I will post pics upon my return.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
301 Posts
Just for comparison, I just flew both my X-350 and my CX2 in my living room this evening. Very interesting!

My living room space is quite small. I moved some stuff, including my chair, to get a larger open area. I flew the X-350 first. I ended up setting all 3 trims back to their zero position. That seemed to work the best. Once I get it about 3 feet in the air, I can hold the hover for quite a while before it tends to go off on it's own in some direction. One nice advantage it has over the CX2 is that is does not seem to exhibit any ground effect. I presume the training gear holding it up quite high is what helps to avoid this problem.

Next, I flew my Blade CX2. Would you believe it was actually HARDER to fly than the X-350? By that I mean it was harder to get it to hover without wandering off. Also, it is affected by ground effect so when I launch it, I usually take it up to about 3 feet quickly, then start controlling it. I had 15% expo set on all 3 controls but I didn't really like it. There was that dead area in the middle of the stick which seemed to actually make it harder to control it. I flipped the switches to their "1" position, removing the expo and tried that. Now it seemed TOO sensitive. So I may go back in and set in 10% expo.

Bottom line the X-350 and the Blade CX2 both behaved about the same, indoors, with the X-350 slightly easier to hover.

But the REAL test will be outdoors! I KNOW the CX2 will NOT fly into the wind. In fact it will not even hold it's postion in a light wind. It does NOT have enough forward thrust which makes it almost useless unless it's dead calm - a rare event for Texas.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the X-350 will do outside with a light wind of say 5 to 8 mph.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:02 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Bill, I got a new heli rather than my original one, repaired, thanks to the intervention from a good friend. It would not have happened otherwise.

Yes, I finally saw your e-mails to me - they were in my TRASH folder! I have NO idea why they went there. But I will reply, and I'll check that folder often.
Well it's water under the bridge now, but as I said in my email; I have a very good relationship with my sales rep there and the two of us would have gotten it straightened out for you as well if you needed help. As a rule, Global will do this for you when it's DOA in the box... whatever the reason. I only buy from reputable vendors/manufacturers who have stellar service for their/my customers.

In any event, I'm glad you were able to get satisfaction & now have a pristine one... just don't fly it into any ceiling fans!

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to seeing what the X-350 will do outside with a light wind of say 5 to 8 mph.
This puppy can handle winds higher than that. They claim 15mph, but I've seen some crazy vids of guys flying this thing in 20+mph winds... CRAZY!

Regards,
Bill
billbo1970 is offline Find More Posts by billbo1970
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:32 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
I am out of town now. I will post pics upon my return.
Originally Posted by fotoflyer
Thetis, would you describe your timer and how/where you mounted it? Thanks!

Just use small pieces of Velcro.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Oct 2011
301 Posts
Got brave yesterday morning and took my X-350 out to the park to give it a go outdoors. I thought it was completely calm, but as usual, when I get to the field the wind had already picked up. It would be better if the wind would stay at a steady speed, but, no, it has to always go up and down. This morning, I would guess the wind speed varied from 3 to 8 mph. Piece of cake for an X-350 flown by an experienced pilot, but not so good for a maiden flight with a pilot way down on the learning curve.

I started out as recommended with the tail rotor off. I waited for the wind to die down then went for it. Of course as soon as I got it up in the air the wind picked up and was blowing it away. I gave it some forward and it sort of made it ok, but it was very twitchy.

For the next flight, I set the tail rotor on. Boy, now she can really penetrate that wind! And overall, she was EASIER to fly with the tail rotor on! I felt like I had a lot more control with the wind changing speeds and direction.

I have a LOT to learn, needless to say, this heli is no "Champ"!

Did I sustain any damage? Sure, that's the way it goes. But nothing serious. On the first landing, which I thought was good enough, the battery slid out of it's pocket which then broke the canopy. Yes, that battery fits sort of tight, but there is nothing holding it in. So from now on, I'm going to put a piece of tape across the front of it.

I've read from others that the canopy is easily broken. It IS very thin. I plan to just lay some tape along the break line to repair it. Are there any 3rd party canopies that would be a bit more robust that would fit this heli? I can visualize this canopy beaking again since it is so flimsy.

Bottom line: It was fun to fly, but a challenge for me, quite a bit harder to fly than my Blade CX2. It also appears to have tremendous power, just pushing up the throtte a bit and it goes way up in a hurry!
Last edited by fotoflyer; Apr 22, 2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:41 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
345 Posts
Quote:
Got brave yesterday morning and took my X-350 out to the park to give it a go outdoors. I thought it was completely calm, but as usual, when I get to the field the wind had already picked up. It would be better if the wind would stay at a steady speed, but, no, it has to always go up and down. This morning, I would guess the wind speed varied from 3 to 8 mph. Piece of cake for an X-350 flown by an experienced pilot, but not so good for a maiden flight with a pilot way down on the learning curve.

I started out as recommended with the tail rotor off. I waited for the wind to die down then went for it. Of course as soon as I got it up in the air the wind picked up and was blowing it away. I gave it some forward and it sort of made it ok, but it was very twitchy.

For the next flight, I set the tail rotor on. Boy, now she can really penetrate that wind! And overall, she was EASIER to fly with the tail rotor on! I felt like I had a lot more control with the wind changing speeds and direction.

I have a LOT to learn, needless to say, this heli is no "Champ"!

Did I sustain any damage? Sure, that's the way it goes. But nothing serious. On the first landing, which I thought was good enough, the battery slid out of it's pocket which then broke the canopy. Yes, that battery fits sort of tight, but there is nothing holding it in. So from now on, I'm going to put a piece of tape across the front of it.

I've read from others that the canopy is easily broken. It IS very thin. I plan to just lay some tape along the break line to repair it. Are there any 3rd party canopies that would be a bit more robust that would fit this heli? I can visualize this canopy beaking again since it is so flimsy.

Bottom line: It was fun to fly, but a challenge for me, quite a bit harder to fly than my Blade CX2. It also appears to have tremendous power, just pushing up the throtte a bit and it goes way up in a hurry!
Thanks for the feedback Fotoflyer. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
I don't think there will be a totally decent wind fighting coax until they make them with a swash plate!
wavy is offline Find More Posts by wavy
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:56 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,025 Posts
This one has a swashplate.....
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:12 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
This one has a swashplate.....
well, I am sure he mean a swash plate for EACH rotor ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:24 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Well, Mine has been back in CA at Global being looked at. I thought something was amiss with my TX but The Chopper got a clean bill o' health and is being returned to me. YAY!

I guess the problem was I'm just a sucky pilot. LOL
Anyway, when I get it back I'm going to be making it Brushless.....zoom zoom.
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&H View Post
Well, Mine has been back in CA at Global being looked at. I thought something was amiss with my TX but The Chopper got a clean bill o' health and is being returned to me. YAY!

I guess the problem was I'm just a sucky pilot. LOL
Anyway, when I get it back I'm going to be making it Brushless.....zoom zoom.
What was going on that made you think there was something wrong with your helicopter? Were you flying indoors or outside?