HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:03 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
So this heli combines tilting the lower blades, like a standard 4 channel coax, plus adds in tail motor, through a extra mixing channel?

Verrrry interrrresting.

Correct! The effect is that this machine possesses impressive flight speed, near that of fixed wing aircraft.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:29 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,764 Posts
Does it have brushless motors? It's about the size of a CX-2 or Lama 4, right?
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:37 PM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,958 Posts
It comes with brushed motors - I see there are some upgrades avail though, one of which is the complete brushless upgrade set, or component by component of said set.
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:25 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Does it have brushless motors? It's about the size of a CX-2 or Lama 4, right?
It's readily upgradable whatever that means, but this model is much larger than CX2 & Lama V3/V4, look at my comparison pictures, it is slightly larger than Esky Big Lama, but slightly smaller than the Walkera Lama 3, so it's a big bird, main rotor span is nearly 19", whereas, V3/V4 rotor span is only 13.5", also, this sucker uses a 3S lipo, those others use only 2S.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:18 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Correct! The effect is that this machine possesses impressive flight speed, near that of fixed wing aircraft.
I've been following this thread and I'm intrigued. Do you mean to say that due to its' extra horizontal prop that this heli is faster than a Big Lama?

If this is true, and if replacement parts are available, than I would be interested in getting one of these.

How fast do you guys think this heli goes?

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:39 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,075 Posts
Not to be Mr.smartypants here, but I read that so many times that people have all these Oooohs and Aaaaaahs about FFF.

What I dont understand is this: everybody is always estimating speeds, claiming speeds and basing them on moving leaves or the feeling on the skin (and I am absolutely not referring to anybody in particular, but the FFF freaks on here - none of whom can show a single measured speed result - go in the hundreds ... )

A radar gun costs about 75$ at Amazon! Why doesnt anybody of you speed guys finally just order one and for once proves all these claims, suggestions and assumptions ??

As usual just my 2 Cents

erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Did I FLY today??
Old Dec 11, 2011, 04:55 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,152 Posts
Quote:
I've never flown 3 channel heli's with teh little motor and prop in back, so, forgive my ignorance. It just seems counter-intuitive that the prop facing up would add to the forward push you're talking about. I thought they were just for giggles.
When the tail prop spins it creates thrust either down or up depending on the direction it spins, that thrust tilts the whole heli fuselage up or down so the main rotors create thrust forward or backwards. The tail prop is just there to tilt the fuselage, not move the heli forward or back.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Dec 11, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
When the tail prop spins it creates thrust either down or up depending on the direction it spins, that thrust tilts the whole heli fuselage up or down so the main rotors create thrust forward or backwards. The tail prop is just there to tilt the fuselage, not move the heli forward or back.
OK, so it tilts the heli and the mass biases it forward. With the new Walkera, it uses a pusher prop to actually push it forward. I don't know how effective it is.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Dec 11, 2011, 05:28 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,152 Posts
Quote:
OK, so it tilts the heli and the mass biases it forward. With the new Walkera, it uses a pusher prop to actually push it forward. I don't know how effective it is.
Yeah, I think I saw something about the walkera your referring to...it didn't really interest me though even if it does work well. Did they actually release it because I seem to recall they were having issues getting it to work right?
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Dec 11, 2011, 05:47 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post

That's correct, whereas with a conventional 4 CH coaxial helicopter, only cyclic blade pitch provides horizontal motion with a very small amount of thrust from the lower main rotor vectored opposite the desired direction of travel, where the vast majority of the available thrust provided by the main rotors is still used vertically to counteract gravity to keep the helicopter aloft or climb. This particular design has the added tail motor/rotor to provide actual pitch to the entire helicopter which vectors some of the main rotors Z Axis thrust horizontally in addition to the thrust provided by the pitch cyclic.
Last edited by Doubletap; Dec 11, 2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:04 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Not to be Mr.smartypants here, but I read that so many times that people have all these Oooohs and Aaaaaahs about FFF.

What I dont understand is this: everybody is always estimating speeds, claiming speeds and basing them on moving leaves or the feeling on the skin (and I am absolutely not referring to anybody in particular, but the FFF freaks on here - none of whom can show a single measured speed result - go in the hundreds ... )

A radar gun costs about 75$ at Amazon! Why doesnt anybody of you speed guys finally just order one and for once proves all these claims, suggestions and assumptions ??

As usual just my 2 Cents

Because there is no need to spend $75.00. Measured time over a measured distance is AT LEAST as accurate as a radar gun. With a radar gun you can't get an accurate reading while shooting at any significant angle, and I don't typically fly top speed that close to the ground.

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:10 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
With the Syma style of heli, no swash plate,without the tail motor raising or lowering the tail, there is nothing to make the machine go forward or back.
These change heading by altering the rotor speeds between the rotors.
On the Double Horse 9100, there is a servo to tilt the swash plate for movement forward and back.
And a conventional tail rotor to change the heading.
On the Drift King, the tail motor provides the forward/back, and the lower rotor mast itself is tilted by a servo to provide flight sideways.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:57 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,242 Posts
I would like to see a video from the many proponents of this heli OUTSIDE WITH WIND.
Any fixed pitch heli outside will act as a big balloon when the wind hits those blades.
If the pitch cannot be changed...it will rise, rise, rise unless you lower throttle.
When you lower throttle you lose stability.
The price needs to seriously come down in order for this heli to be attractive. You hear that shills? LOWER THE PRICE OF THE HELI. You will sell more of them
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:14 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owner1 View Post
Because there is no need to spend $75.00. Measured time over a measured distance is AT LEAST as accurate as a radar gun. With a radar gun you can't get an accurate reading while shooting at any significant angle, and I don't typically fly top speed that close to the ground.

Owner1
Well, in a vid in Germany somebody did exactly that ... time x distance ... he claimed his Lama V3 with Skytec modifications flew 45miles - do you think even one person believed that? But that is what math said; however had there been a radar gun, nobody could have doubted it as much as they did because it wasnt measured by technology ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Did I FLY today??
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:20 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,242 Posts
Yes, I have to agree with Erd.
If you take a pic of the speed gun...cannot really be argued.
Also - I am quite intrigued by the fact that heli addicts cannot plainly see that FP will not work well outside.
You need to be able to change blade pitch in order to have full control in windy conditions.
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp