SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:10 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo1970 View Post
You won't find that deal again, that was on the original 5A1. The ones out now are 5A2 which have design improvements based on customer feedback & the dealer cost on them is significantly higher at $190ea. If you see someone selling the new 5A2's that just came in for $199 something is wrong.
Well, if "they" made improvements based on customer feedback, they should have also listened to all the people who agree on the fact that 180 motors for a heli that size are "undersized" (and have to work way too hard) ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:12 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Well, if "they" made improvements based on customer feedback, they should have also listened to all the people who agree on the fact that 180 motors for a heli that size are "undersized" (and have to work way too hard) ...
Well, I only sell them... I don't make them. I think trying to keep the cost down may have been an issue, but I can only speculate. All I know is that they do fly extremely well, take a look at the videos on my product page for it (I have 3 videos on the page):X350 at Filadelfos RC

Regards,
Bill
billbo1970 is offline Find More Posts by billbo1970
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,706 Posts
Quote:
Well, I only sell them... I don't make them. I think trying to keep the cost down may have been an issue, but I can only speculate. All I know is that they do fly extremely well, take a look at the videos on my product page for it (I have 3 videos on the page):X350 at Filadelfos RC

Regards,
Bill
I have seen that "wind video" before here on RCG Bill, and my statement was really not directed at you personally, nor was it meant to be a complaint towards you.
I am just saying (based on reading most of the stuff I can about this heli here on RCG) that there are enough people that mentioned their motors get too hot and having other troubles with them that it would really seem logical that if this company wanted to show how they indeed listen to their customers, they should have adjusted the motors to the known problems as well
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:27 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I have seen that "wind video" before here on RCG Bill, and my statement was really not directed at you personally, nor was it meant to be a complaint towards you.
I am just saying (based on reading most of the stuff I can about this heli here on RCG) that there are enough people that mentioned their motors get too hot and having other troubles with them that it would really seem logical that if this company wanted to show how they indeed listen to their customers, they should have adjusted the motors to the known problems as well
Well, I agree it really wouldn't have killed them or added to the cost at all to put some cooling 'vents' under the blades... but that's an easy mod that anyone with an x-acto can do
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Hi Brian,

The price on this is not bad at all, you are getting one heck of a heli for the money. As for the motors, they should last you quite a while. While they are brushed, they are good quality. By the time they wear out, you can replace them with brushless, or just move on to a more advanced heli (you should have the skills by then). If you were to buy a similar quality heli from another manufacturer you'd be looking at AT LEAST $150 more, and it would not have the proprietary 5th channel... which would make it much harder to fly in the wind.

---> $240 +$150 = $390 to get similar quality regular 4ch? Really? I have 4ch's in the $100 range that are excellent quality with only minor issues in many many flights. Having that 5th channel, although innovative, and effective in the wind, does not automatically equal superior build quality. The X350 does look like a good product but only time will tell how they endure many flights and crashes compared to others on the market.

You'd either have your basic 4Ch heli (there are cheaper ones but they're junk) or move up to 6ch which would NOT be easy to learn on. Going from indoors to outdoors alone is a challenge, going from indoor to outdoor w/3D would be a nightmare.

---> Anything under $240 is junk? Again, really? Not having the 5th channel doesn't make something junk. Less effective into a breeze but not junk. Performance and quality are two different things!

Regarding the heli itself, this is imported by Global Hobbies, and they have all of the repair parts. I've just logged into my dealer entrance there, and EVERY part is in stock & very reasonably priced. For example a pair of main motors is MSRP $32 and the tail rotor is $15. Blades are $10 ea (upper & lower).

As for a CP heli, the directional controls are not all that different, your main challenge will be to prefent the helicopter from rolling.

I have a link to the quick start guide for the X350, you should take a look at it: QUICK START GUIDE

Regards,
Bill
. . . . . . . .
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:18 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
346 Posts
Still waiting for videos of this heli in FFF.

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
@Gordonzo

I'm not here for a debate, I came to answer some questions & provide helpful info. If you don't agree with some of my opinions then that's OK.

Regarding crashes/durability: The X350 is an excellent heli & you obviously did not watch the video. The heli is crashed intentionally from a decent height and at speed. The canopy breaks & close-up video of the damage is shot. The heli is then launched again & flies perfectly fine.

By junk I mean a TOY and not a true hobby item. How many of those inexpensive helis can you readily & easily acquire repair parts & hop-up items for? I'm sure you can for some, but they are the exception & not the rule.

Bill
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owner1 View Post
Still waiting for videos of this heli in FFF.

Owner1
LOL X350 speed trials! Or better yet, X350 Pylon racing!
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Regarding crashes/durability: The X350 is an excellent heli & you obviously did not watch the video. The heli is crashed intentionally from a decent height and at speed. The canopy breaks & close-up video of the damage is shot. The heli is then launched again & flies perfectly fine.

Bill
They do pound it into the ground pretty hard !

I really think I would like one of these helis but am just freaked out about what I've read on the motors.
Is there any warranty on them at all ? I'd be really pissed if it only lasted for 10 batteries. Like you said, it's not a toy heli.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:41 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
I have flown mine many more than 10 flights. As soon as I noticed the motors were getting warm, I added a cooling hole at the top of the body. So far I think I am up to 50 flights. I beat the crude out of my heli, to the point that I needed to replace the blades and the main shaft. The frame absorbs crazy abuse. I am super shocked I have not had to replace more parts than I have. I have hit things, I cut the throttle at about 40 feet up and let the heli crash to the ground....I really have not been too nice to mine. The plastic the X350 is made of is amazing in my book. Now if I can just improve my skills flying the thing I would stop beating up my poor little X350. HA!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:38 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,073 Posts
Wow, this thread really got alive again I am going to post pics later on from my mod in the canopy for cooling off the motors. From my preliminary temp taking after 7 minute hovering, back and forth I did not see any major drop. Before the mod it was 204F and now is 195 to 199F. I was hoping for more..
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:35 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
That seems like a safe temp. Also if you hover less during your flight, the motors will be much cooler.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
That seems like a safe temp. Also if you hover less during your flight, the motors will be much cooler.
Thanks, good to know. Here is what I have done !!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:50 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
You won't find that deal again, that was on the original 5A1. The ones out now are 5A2 which have design improvements based on customer feedback & the dealer cost on them is significantly higher at $190ea. If you see someone selling the new 5A2's that just came in for $199 something is wrong.
Had owned version 1 and I now owe version 2 I can say there is no any improvement based on customer input. Keep in mind ver 1 was sold out before the Chinese new year and ver 2 (as you call it) was shipped right after the end of the Chinese new year. Global Hobbies started shipping again (when I got mine around 2/14/12). Not much time to come up with an updated version. Due to Christmas sales record they thought it was time to increase the price. Bad move !!
Last edited by Thetis; Feb 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:31 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
Due to Christmas sales record they thought it was time to increase the price. Bad move !!
I'm sure that's part of the price increase, but there are also other factors:

1) Chinese manufacturing has gotten more expensive.
2) Dramatic increase in price of rare earths used to make magnets & circuit components
3) Significant increases in the cost of shipping since last fall (incoming & outgoing).

Regards,
Bill