Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:54 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Bad QC, who knows... An ESC has died on me too once, altho it wasn't from Suppo. I hooked up the lipo to my AXN and as soon as I did the ESC and motor both started smoking. Both were destroyed in an instant. And I've flown this thing many many times... So yeah, it happens.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:33 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,780 Posts
Mine flared up like a match, typical FET rupture. Nothing else got borked though, board still boots up fine.
I honestly think my own neatness obsession got the best of me this time.
I soldered the motor wires straight onto the ESC, and although the other 3 seem to do fine, this one didn't like it.

I hope Erman can get me 3 new ESCs quick though, I was planning on taking this bugger with me on vacation,
for a bit of evening fun since its plastered with LEDs.
Freakazoid is online now Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:39 AM
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
Others will probably disagree but Ihave had great results on my mini quads using:
cheapo hk 5x2 propellers. Balance as best as possible. Rough up the motor shafts with some wet and dry sandpaper.
The center hole is very small ... drill it out so that it is a firm push onto the motor shaft with pliers or multi grips. Push them right down onto the top of the motor bell with a light dab of epoxy, or similar, and another dab on the top.
Works for me after giving up on prop adapters, and prop savers.
Yes, I split a few props hubs pushing them on, but what the heck ... they are really cheap and I just chucked them away. Just make sure you have a straight push onto the motor shaft to avoid any risk of bending those 2mm shafts.

Mark
So I just tried this the other day, and must say so far the results have been superb. I actually already owned a set of those props that I never used since the hole was way too small. Great idea. Takes any possible imbalance of a prop adaptor out of the picture. Even before balancing these props, they are performing better than some of the gemfan propellers which I spent way too much time trying to meticulously balance, only to have them wobble all over.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:14 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Ulverstone
Joined Aug 2004
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
So I just tried this the other day, and must say so far the results have been superb. I actually already owned a set of those props that I never used since the hole was way too small. Great idea. Takes any possible imbalance of a prop adaptor out of the picture. Even before balancing these props, they are performing better than some of the gemfan propellers which I spent way too much time trying to meticulously balance, only to have them wobble all over.
Good to hear !! Using a prop adapter adds so much weight on these tiny motors, and increases the potential for vibrations.
The idea came from a tiny infinity-hobbie quad that I have. Flew that thing for some time with it's little push-on, 92mm propellers, waiting for them to pop off the shafts ... but they have never moved.
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:36 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,780 Posts
I dont like the idea of a prop just randomly working itself loose and popping off imho.
That kind of shenanigans might work on small motors and gingerly flying,
but getting a suppo A1510 going at full 3 cell force is gonna send push-on props flying on their own for sure.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:41 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Agreed. Also, sanding motor shafts? Not to keen on that idea myself. I prefer to use collets and some careful balancing. It's just easier that way.

I use one of these A1510 motors on a small sub-100 grams combat wing the club made for me and I've broken about 6 props so far. I don't have time to wait for glue to cure, when I break a prop I just replace it in 15 seconds or so and I'm back in the air again.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:17 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Ulverstone
Joined Aug 2004
2,053 Posts
Up to you guys, but works for me ... only one of my 1510 equipped quads is running 2s batteries, the rest are 3s.

On anything that I fly with collets, I cut the motor shafts off so that the collet sits right down onto the motor bell, and sand the motor shafts to give a bit of "grip" for the collet. Yet to have one come off.
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:50 PM
Australia
Joined Feb 2013
1,209 Posts
I broke an arm on my crab20 today

My fault, i lost LOS and sent it upside down into concrete. I'm buying another frame though, tough as nails!
Enforcement is offline Find More Posts by Enforcement
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:10 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,780 Posts
I had mine dancing around above the snow today.
Kk2 works a treat on these little things.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:09 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Oh so it IS possible to break these? :P Eh, of course it is. Concrete is no fun. I try not to fly over concrete. I need another KK board before I can fly with my Crab25. I've got a 3S Lipo on the way now for it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:10 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,780 Posts
A1510 + 3s = warp 7
Seriously, mind your throttle!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:37 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,780 Posts
Hey guys, want another reason to buy a bambu?

Bambu Crab 25 - Snow Drift (9 min 40 sec)

Sorry the vid is a bit long, but its a full unedited packs worth of flight.
(Well except for the failed nighttime snippet at the start. )
Just about 9 minutes of this lapping around the field, is good enough for me.

But man... with the new KK2 this crabby is so full of win.
I had people coming out of the woods from a trail nearby,
looking for the willow whisp they saw dancing through the trees.
A real crowdpleaser, its even more insane at night above the crisp white snow.

I did have to fashion a octagon shaped flange to mount the board though.
The little PCB pins weren't having any of my hotglue shenanigans.

But yeah, even with my still shoddy PI setup, this thing flies unlike anything ive flown before.
Pure magic, and the A1510 motors have ri-di-cu-lous amounts of power,
you can see me testing the waters a bit at the end, but that's not even full throttle.
Stepping on its tail would be downright frightening.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:42 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2008
26 Posts
Anyone got a Bambucopter Y6 Frame they want to sell ?
grezmel is offline Find More Posts by grezmel
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:44 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Freakazoid might have one. Can't believe I missed his post up there! I'll check out that videosoon.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:00 AM
Web programmer
Bogor, Indonesia
Joined Dec 2006
22 Posts
Follow up on my previous post. I set alarm voltage on Aurora 9 to 6.6v. It will not damage the battery because when I turn off the motor, battery level will recover to 7.2v at the end of flight. Effectively 3.7v per cell.

I manage to fly 7.5 minutes using Turnigy nano-tech 850mah 2C, and 9.5 minutes on Zippy 1300mah 2C. The zippy battery is quite heavy, I need 75% throttle to hover.

I want to share PID on my naze32. It has good altitude, and level mode. The level PID (8 30 50) that I use has very good recovery when I descend the quad rapidly, almost no wobble.

I have 6x3x2 and 6x3x3 props on the mail. I will test it and see how it perform on my Crab25 frame.
xufos is offline Find More Posts by xufos